Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping at Lough Dan

Options
  • 29-04-2010 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Folks,
    I'm planning a camping trip this summer with a buddy, and we would like to camp at lough Dan. Has anyone done this before, or know if it's allowed? We're not planning on fires, booze etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mr roper

scouting ireland members can only camp there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As I recall, the land around it is private property so you cannot just go and camp. I know people who have a place there and you are not allowed without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Apart from the scout centre (which is strictly for scouts and occupied all weekend) the rest ofd the valley is private land occupied by not very nice people when it comes to camping. the very top of the valley would be your best bet but not very nice either.

you could enquire about Lough dan on their website but I wouldn't hold you breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Turf1969

Thanks all. Looks like I might need a plan B...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

I thought I was up there once or twice, not camping though. Fairly sure the walk was in the Irish times. I came from the road overlooking lough tay down to the northeast corner of the lough Dan and over the hill on the north shore and back out to the road again. Anyone confirm if this is OK as would have liked to do it again. I know there were off limits land in the area but was sure this was an OK route. I can detail a bit more but don't want to post a route this isn't OK.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Turf1969

Thanks All,
    I think I have this sorted now - the southern half of the valley borders onto wicklow national park, and so camping is allowed there, subject to the camping code.
    Cheers
    Turf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Camping Code - for anyone else interested.

I didn't realise you were allowed camp, I thought it was like Glendalough and not allowed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

We camped down by Luggala last september, think its opposite lough dan, walked straight down bast 4 or 5 of the houses that used to be owned by the Guinness family and nobody bothered us.

Such a nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Chazziemann

Do what we always do.... just go camp and act dump if someone comes...

But always leave no trace!! including your s..t!!

Advertisement