Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-heating Risotto

Options
  • 29-04-2010 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Last night I made Smoked Haddock & Leek risotto the recipe for which I got here.
    It is absolutley amazing (thanks again xxdillemaxx!!). I was planning in eating teh leftovers today but had to go out for a work lunch. I won't be going home after work either so won't get to eat it till tomorrow.

Is this safe? After it cooled down last night I wrapped the bowl in clingfilm and put it in the fridge. Will this be okay to eat 2 days later? The ingredients are: smoked haddock, leeks, spinach, rice, parmesan cheese, milk, & cream..

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Rice is apparently potentially dangerous to reheat, so I've read here. You'd need to make sure it's really well heated all the way through. Apart from that, I don't know if risotto would reheat well at all.

I wouldn't reheat it for taste reasons, honestly. The fish will end up over cooked, and the dairy could split. But hopefully someone else knows more than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Reheating rice -
    Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will germinate into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these toxins.

That's from the food standards agency - it pretty much sums it up perfectly. Processing methods these days mean that rice is less likely to contain the spores from the outset, but you know the way it goes - you could be lucky, or you could be very much not lucky at alll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I re-heated the risotto last night and thought I'd advise you all not to do this.

I didn't get sick or anything but it tasted awful.

lesson learned, risotto should not be re-heated. Only make enough to serve fresh and throw any leftovers in the bin. It really was vile last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

the trick to reheating risotto is to pour some extra stock over it.(then I just bung it in the microwave ) Its a bit softer than is should be it does the trick,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I bread and deepfry leftover risotto. I think it's called supplí and is a great way of using it up.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    I bread and deepfry leftover risotto. I think it's called supplí and is a great way of using it up.

Mmmm....I've had suppli in Italian restaurants and it's beautiful...really my kinda thing.

How do you make yours?

I read a recipe the other day for using up leftover risotto....basically just making them into patties and frying them up then serving with dips. Typically I read thsi after my re-heating disastor...d'oh!

Recipe for suppli would be great though...

Beetlebum wrote: »
    I read a recipe the other day for using up leftover risotto....basically just making them into patties and frying them up then serving with dips. Typically I read thsi after my re-heating disastor...d'oh!

Recipe for suppli would be great though...

That's basically it.

Lightly beat an egg and mix it into the cold risotto.

Spoon-out some risotto and make a ball shape in the palm of your hand with a small indentation in it.

Into this hole you can put a small square of mozzarella or a piece of sun-dried tomato and cover it with more risotto.

Dip in flour

Dip in beaten egg

Dip in breadcrumbs

Deep-fry for 3 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Their full name is "suppli al telefono" if you Google it, there's loads of recipes. You can also add extra ingredients and turn them into Arancini

Ahh...seems that I was trying to make Arancini all along :)

Here's a great recipe.

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »
    Ahh...seems that I was trying to make Arancini all along :)

Here's a great recipe.

Sorry to be acollar Pnster but I can't open that page.
    Any chance you could cut an paste the recipe?

Did any of ye see Jamie Oliver in Venice last night? He met the Don Juan of risottos and made 3 different types. They all looked declicious. He made it differntly to how I would make it though in that he starts with a basic white risotto, nothing added but stock and parmesan cheese and once it's cooked, he adds the other ingredients, e.g basil leaves, sundried tomatoes etc and just tossed around. He also used olive oil to fry the onions and rice as opposed to butter and finihsed by drizzling olive oil over teh top.

Very Italian and looked great!

Here is the recipe. The amount of rice relative to the meat filling depends on how much you manage to stuff each arancino.

ARANCINI AL RISO
    For the risotto:
    1 onion, finely minced
    20gr butter
    2 cups risotto rice
    4 cups chicken broth
    150gr grated Pecorino cheese

For the ragù:
    50gr pancetta
    1 onion
    1 carot
    1 celery stick
    1 clove garlic, minced
    200gr beef chuck
    1 cup tomato purée
    1 cup red wine
    2 twigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    salt, pepper
    1 cup cooked green peas

When making the arancini:
    1 cup flour
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    3 eggs, beaten
    200gr cheese, soft pecorino or other meltable cheese

The day before, make the risotto by frying the minced onion gently in a saucepan, then adding the uncooked rice and leaving it for two more minutes, then adding the broth and leaving it unocvered until cooked. Do not add saffron. When cold add the grated pecorino, cover and store in the frige until the next day.
    While you make the risotto, prepare the ragù. Fry pancetta, minced onion and garlic until soft. Gradually add finely minced chuck meat so that it will brown without releasing too much liquid at once. When all meat has been browned in this way, add minced carrot and celery stick and fry for 5 more minutes. Pour the red wine and let cook for 2 minute until alcool has evaporated. Add tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and leave to cook on lowest flame for 1 hours or until meat is soft. Store in the fridge until next day.

The next day, heat 2 liters (2 quarts) oil to 180°C in a pan and prepare 7 bowls:

Bowl 1: Cold risotto
    Bowl 2: Ragù
    Bowl 3: Diced cheese
    Bowl 4: Flour
    Bowl 5: Beaten eggs
    Bowl 6: Breadcrumbs
    Bowl 7: Water

To make an arancino, take two tablespoons of risotto in one hand, make a hole with a finger and stuff it with ragù and 1-2 cheese cubes. Close the hole with the risotto until you have a small ball with no ragù in sight. Some people make little volcanoes as you see in the picture above. Roll the arancino in the flour, shake it to remove excess flour, then quickly dip into the beaten eggs and check it is thoroughly covered on all its surface. If not, dip again in the eggs until it is. Then just roll in breadcrumbs to make a nice crust and deep fry until nicely brown.

Making arancini is not difficult and does not require special skill. Your first arancini will be very 'ricy'. The name of the game is to get as much filling in as little risotto possible. If you keep trying, each arancino will be better than the last one. Good luck!

Thanks for that Ponster.

It sounds like a lot of work/prep but worth it. I plan on having a quiet weekend of relaxing and messing about in the kitchen so this is the perfect dish to try..

It's not as much work as they make out really. You could just leave it to nature and not make them until the day that you happen to have some leftover risotto and also some leftover ragu/meat sauce.

When I end up with leftover risotto I usually remember to make some ragu the next day and make extra for the Arancini.

Advertisement