Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madden NFL 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Ye readjusted in second game. Last turnover was well lucky ! thanks for simulating the end of the game after it lagged out. Ye week 9 man ! I play the bears (ultra) the week after you as well , so thats a big 2 weeks for me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Anyone up for a quick game?

I'm a bit of a rookie but can only learn one way!

Edit: Nevermind, either my internet is gone ridiculously slow or there's something up with the live Xbox.. hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Madden servers are fooked man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

For some reason, I couldnt get on to the internet last night in the new place but xbox live would work. No idea why. Anyway I advanced the league last night.

Im on a bye though:(. So could everyone hurry the feck up and play their games so I can advance the week:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Raoul wrote: »
    For some reason, I couldnt get on to the internet last night in the new place but xbox live would work. No idea why. Anyway I advanced the league last night.

Im on a bye though:(. So could everyone hurry the feck up and play their games so I can advance the week:rolleyes:

what he said; hurry up, I'm on a bye too!

I see Jax lost so I'm back in charge of AFC South. Points wise (and that's probably the only measure I'm doing well in) I have the best offence in the league (248 PF, next best is 188 PF) but the worst defence (189 PA), my Colts (5-1) provide great entertainment for the fans!

Delighted our league is starting to take off and getting a bit of craic goin and a bit of interest.

McG wrote: »
    what he said; hurry up, I'm on a bye too!

I see Jax lost so I'm back in charge of AFC South. Points wise (and that's probably the only measure I'm doing well in) I have the best offence in the league (248 PF, next best is 188 PF) but the worst defence (189 PA), my Colts (5-1) provide great entertainment for the fans!

What D to you play ? what area of your D are you getting killed in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Kilns im available from 6 pm onwards this week so give me a shout if your online during those hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm playing the bills this week. Can't remember the user who is in control of them, but I have sent them a PM on xbox live. I can't see who the user is from this thread

What D to you play ? what area of your D are you getting killed in ?

always seems to be on big plays (usually passes). I don't give away too many first downs but I can't count the amount of times my D forces 3rd and long and then they go score a 50yd+ TD.

I use the standard Colt D playbook and nornally let the CPU decide for me. I'm relatively new to the sport (only been following NFL for a couple of years) and D is the bit I've always had the biggest problem geting my head around.

• Advertisement

Im the same as yourself. Always let the Madden decide unless I am totally sure that the other person is going to run or is going to pass long or something.

Could really do with a crash course in NFL defence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK, Joined as the saints...bottom of the division... :(

adrian522 wrote: »

What kind of team did you get ? ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Change teams man! I walked over NO when I played them you can't defend the pass or rush....And I just lost to the St. Louis Rams 40-16!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How can I change teams?

How can I change teams?

Quit franchise , and rejoin it

yeah, it's early enough, I wouldn't begrudge you. Even teams at the top of their divisions don't have a spectacular record. The Giants seem to be ok.

Also The Rams seemed to have Mario Manningham, Bret Favre and Matt Forte (Who made mince out of my defense!)

Any chance I could join up with the franchise?

Anyone online for a game now?

Any chance I could join up with the franchise?

Anyone online for a game now?

yep pm me your gamertag

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    yeah, it's early enough, I wouldn't begrudge you. Even teams at the top of their divisions don't have a spectacular record. The Giants seem to be ok.

Also The Rams seemed to have Mario Manningham, Bret Favre and Matt Forte (Who made mince out of my defense!)

The Giants should be good because they were drafted by one of us (can't remember who now). I played my only non-cpu game so far against the Giants earlier in the season, what happened to whoever was controlling them?

Picked up the Falcons so will get my game against the Bengals (CPU) out of the way this evening. Mind you after the hammering off Danger Dave1 last night I think I could be cannon fodder in this league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

McG wrote: »
    always seems to be on big plays (usually passes). I don't give away too many first downs but I can't count the amount of times my D forces 3rd and long and then they go score a 50yd+ TD.

I use the standard Colt D playbook and nornally let the CPU decide for me. I'm relatively new to the sport (only been following NFL for a couple of years) and D is the bit I've always had the biggest problem geting my head around.

When you play Madden...something happens...you start to understand the ins and outs of the NFL much better. Long term you are better to try and figure out your own defences rather than let Madden call them. Try and match up with the oppositions formation. Maybe intially you might not do well but long term you will improve and learn so much about the game.

Will try and post up the defensive formations to help

First line under each formation is Description, 2nd line are the advantages, 3rd line the disadvantages

Goal Line
    Run prevent in short yardage situations, specifically third or fourth and short or on the goal line
    Packed defense to prevent the short run. There are a lot of tacklers near the line of scrimmage.
    Audible to another defense if the offense changes formation.So many defenders near the line can be disastrous if a running back breaks through.

4-3 Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers, four defensive backs.
    A balanced run and pass defense. Good against inside runs and short to medium passing.
    Avoid using against four or more receiver sets (even three is risky). Blitzing Linebackers can leave slants and outside runs open.

4-3 Over, Under
    Moves an outer linebacker to the line for five Defensive Linemen, two Linebackers, and four defensive backs (Over and Under refers to different sides of the line).
    Increased pass rush possibilities. Protect against inside and outside runs.
    Vulnerable to the passing game and fewer Linebackers in the middle could mean fewer tacklers if the back breaks the line.

3-4 Normal
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs.
    A balanced run and pass defense. Defends outside runs and flat passes.
    Softer pass rush, though more blitz variation with extra Linebackers. Vulnerable to multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Over, UnderThree Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. An outside linebacker tightens up the edge of the line (Over and Under refers to different sides of the line).
    Increased pass rush with linebacker at the line.
    Fewer Linebackers defending the short passes. Vulnerable to multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Solid
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Both outside Linebackers crowd the line.
    Increased pass rush opportunities and disguised blitzing. Stuff the run with increased penetration.
    Vulnerable to quick passes if outside Linebackers blitz. Avoid against multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Even
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Outside Linebackers crowd the line and middle Linebackers tighten up.
    Balanced run stoppage for inside and outside runs.
    Tighter formation could be vulnerable to the pass.

3-4 Stack
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Resembles a 4-3 in alignment.
    A 4-3 look for your excellent Linebackers. Variation in pass rushing for fast outside Linebackers.
    Avoid using against heavy passing situations.

46 Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers, four defensive backs but shifts one safety up to the linebacker position leaving one safety deep.
    Similar to 4-3 but safety provides extra run stopping support. Pressuring defense.
    Vulnerable to deep passes with just one safety back. Avoid using against heavy passing situations and multiple receiver sets.

46 Bear
    Six Defensive Linemen (some are Linebackers on the line), one linebacker, three defensive backs with one safety playing in a linebacker spot leaving one deep safety.
    Combines the 46 Normal and 4-3 Over defenses. Increased pressure along the line for stronger run defense and pressure. Weak pass defense.
    Avoid using against multiple receiver sets.

Nickel Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, two Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    An additional defensive back helps protect against the pass. Be sure the "nickel back" is lined up against the slot receiver.
    Optimum against 3 WR sets. Losing a linebacker means losing a good tackler. Use packages to ensure best corners are against best receivers. Your nickel back isn’t as skilled as your starters, usually.

Nickel Strong
    Same as nickel but shifts the safety toward the strong side.
    Increased safety help on the strong side. Helps provide additional coverage on a stacked formation (where more receivers and/or tight ends are on one side).
    Similar to the standard nickel. Also the safety shifted over could leave the other side open, especially if there are backs on pass patterns.

Nickel 1-5-5, 1-5-5 Prowl
    One Defensive Lineman, five Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    Crowded line of scrimmage with basically one MLB (prowl with two). Five Linebackers help defend against a run and five defensive backs help defend the pass. Allows for some blitzing variation.
    Can be a weak run defense if your Linebackers focus on coverage.

Nickel 2-4-5
    Two Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    Added Linebackers help defend against an unexpected run. In the 3-4 playbook because of the team’s typical linebacker skill.
    Need to increase pass rush with linebacker pressure.

Nickel 3-3-5
    Three Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers and five defensive backs.
    An added linebacker to defend the run or short passing.
    Need to increase pass rush with linebacker pressure.

Dime Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, one linebacker, six defensive backs.
    Six defensive backs to counter the passing game. Use against four or more wide receiver sets.
    Weak against an unexpected run.

Dime Flat
    Same as dime but closes Safeties in and backs off corners.
    Defenders are tighter and closer to the line to protect against run or short passing. Good for end zone defense.
    Weaker against deep passing.

Quarters Normal
    Three Defensive Linemen, one linebacker, seven defensive backs.
    Seven defensive backs as a pass prevent defense.
    Easy to run against.

Quarters 3 Deep
    Same as quarters but shifts a defensive back into a deep safety position for three deep Safeties.
    Three deep Safeties to protect against the deep ball. Use in long yardage situations.
    Easy to run against.

Quarters Combo
    Combination of Quarters normal and 3 deep.
    Protects against the deep ball with three deep Safeties.
    Easy to run against.

Dollar Normal
    Eight defensive backs.
    Eight players focused on stopping the pass. Use in certain passing situations (long yardage) or even in the red zone to crowd the end zone.
    You have a lot of bad tacklers on the field if your opponent runs the ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

any1 selling a cheap copy on xbox 360? dublin area?

Thats why berty is 6-0 ;p

• Advertisement

Wish that was really the case. Most of it not my work. Found it on a forum a good while back and have modified it and reposted a few times since to help guys who are trying to understand defence in Madden better ........you need no help there Dave !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

i got the the the offical ps3 headset today for my birthday. how do i get it too work with the game. do i have too be online for it too work

OK, rejoined with the 49ers and promptly lost to the panthers as cpu.

looking forward to some human games though....

Lads any chance that everyone could post up their gamertag? Having a hard time figuring out who has played games and who hasn't. The ones I know I will post up myself.

Berty44 - Berty44
    Danger_dave1 - Dangerous_Diageo
    UnitedIrishman - Blockycross9
    adrian522 -adro76
    coltsr - ox_ultra_xo
    kilns - lynch1407
    SantryRed - Bensfc
    D_Red_Army - FuzzyFitzg
    McG -Sundalic
    Wompa1 - Paddysmallballs
    evil_seed - theculk83
    StevoIRE

ox_evo_xo - doesnt have a boards username, should he be allowed in the league? dont know if he has played any games either

Lads any chance that everyone could post up their gamertag? Having a hard time figuring out who has played games and who hasn't. The ones I know I will post up myself.

Berty44 - Berty44
    adrian522 -adro76
    coltsr - ox_ultra_xo
    kilns - lynch1407
    SantryRed - Bensfc
    D_Red_Army - FuzzyFitzg
    McG -Sundalic
    StevoIRE
    Paddysmallballs
    the_culk
    ox_evo_xo - doesnt have a boards username, should he be allowed in the league? dont know if he has played any games either

adro76 - Adrian522 (49ers)

Edit: Just saw you already had me :(

• Advertisement

We should also have a reposting of the Main rules ? Since theres been new people joining in the last few weeks.

Also we should start discussing upping next season time limit to 10mins a quarter .

Berty44 - Berty44
    adrian522 -adro76
    coltsr - ox_ultra_xo
    kilns - lynch1407
    SantryRed - Bensfc
    D_Red_Army - FuzzyFitzg
    McG -Sundalic
    StevoIRE
    Paddysmallballs
    the_culk

I've played anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

ox_evo_xo is who I'm playing next. If he's not a boards user he shouldn't be in the league in fairness. My GT is theculk83 btw

I've played anyway

What team are you? Just want to make a list of the users on here and their gamertags, easier for organising matches and for banter.

Ok, I also think Evo should go, so he is outta here.

What team are you? Just want to make a list of the users on here and their gamertags, easier for organising matches and for banter.

Ok, I also think Evo should go, so he is outta here.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Anyone have any idea who the hell StevoIRL is?

Anyone have any idea who the hell StevoIRL is?

San Diego...if that's what you meant. Maybe we should start posting our results ala Boards Fifa leagues..might make it more visible that people are playing their games?

San Diego...if that's what you meant. Maybe we should start posting our results ala Boards Fifa leagues..might make it more visible that people are playing their games?

No I meant who is he on boards? Or is he even on boards?

We would have to have a bit of a vote about posting up the results. Could work well. Get more people active in the forum.

We would have to have a bit of a vote about posting up the results. Could work well. Get more people active in the forum.

I've done it a few times for my games now, I think it adds to the league to read a bit about the other games happening

Would be good if we had a subthread, so that we could put up a weekly fixtures thread. instead of everything bundled into one big thread

• Advertisement

Ah Raoul is it that hard to figure it out like come on :p

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ah Raoul is it that hard to figure it out like come on :p

Ahhhh. You havent posted in here in ages though, have you?

Sorry. Ok now you are online and I have your attention.

Do you think we should have to post up our results here?

We should also have a reposting of the Main rules ? Since theres been new people joining in the last few weeks.

This. There's a few bits that I didn't know that Dave managed to fill me in on for the league but I'm sure somewhere along the line there's more rules to adhere to.

Also I'd be up for posting up results on here, a bit easier to get them on here.

Look at the madden website and it has a link to the post with the rules in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Does anybody no were i can get a copy of this 4 ps3....checked 7 shops and nobody had it....is this game better on d xbox cos they had xbox in stock....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Stevo, I am down to play you this week. When are free to play?

kilns wrote: »
    Stevo, I am down to play you this week. When are free to play?

Im free tonight and tomorrow night from 6PM onwards. And then all day Sunday.

In a close game managed to win against Kilns 17-6. Sadly i couldn't get all the real big moment which was stopping a run on 3rd and goal with only about a yard to the end zone.

Alex Smiths first and only deep ball of the game for a TD- http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/61125273

Screen Pass near end zone results in a TD for Defence- http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/61124923

Game Winning Interception- http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/61125428

Nice Steveo ! think ill start doing this as well. Gets the feel of the game. 3 INT'S won ya the game it seems . Just checked there, we dont meet in the regular season Steveo ........ your lucky :p

• Advertisement

Here is the username of everybody involved in the online franchise:
    Berty44 - Berty44
    adrian522 -adro76
    coltsr - ox_ultra_xo
    kilns - lynch1407
    SantryRed - Bensfc
    D_Red_Army - FuzzyFitzg
    McG -Sundalic
    Wompa1 - Paddysmallballs
    evil_seed - theculk83
    Stev_o - StevoIRE

Link to this list will also be posted on the madden site.

Advertisement