Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madden NFL 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Decent enough draft for me too

Jones-Drew, Big Ben, Sidney Rice and Jermichael Finlay amongst my notables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Ok first off well done to Danger Dave who set up the franchise and acted as Commissioner to start a draft ( which we were unable to do without the Commissioner in the original Franchise ). When he finished all this is we played a friendly in which he pasted me:eek:.

I actually ended up with first pick but was busy chatting to someone and so the CPU drafted Gonzalez for me :(:). I am currently Commissioner but will be handing over to Raoul as soon as I can as he was the original starter so he is the boss.

We had a discussion as to how to run this among those who were in chat. The quarters have initially been set to 7 minutes with 15 sec acc clock. Maybe a little short but we could change it to 10 mins once the playoff comes. Some feedback on this would be great.

This is a bit of fun so the rules are basically if it does not happen in the NFL, then don't do it. I will post the rules from a franchise I play in which are really good and ensure the avoidance of any conflict or aggro. From experience I know that if you don't have specific rules for Madden guys can get pissed off with each other and teh good will disappears. Have a read and see if they make sense.

Try and use a mic, half the fun is chatting with your opponent and having a laugh ( or cry ).

We are going to try and run one game a week. Commisioner will forward the games on Sunday midnight / Monday evening so gameweeks will run from Monday to Sunday. The first gameweek runs from today (October 1st ) until Sunday 10th October. This gives everyone more people a chance to join.

If you want to join send a pm to any of us here and we will give you the password. Then go to your XBox, search for franchise Boardsie, select a team, enter the pasword and you are set.

If you have a CPU game just play away. If you have a human opponent you can go into the Franchise menu, at the top you will see all the players listed and you can select your opponents name and message him to organise a suitable time. I say this as you don' need to have your opponent on your Friends List, just access him through the Franchise menu.

Any issues, Raoul is the boss so talk to him. His decision is final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Cant believe I gave up first draft pick to you and you didnt even use it!!! :D

1. Schedule the game as either through message on Xbox or through Boards. It is inevitable that guys will drop out during the season. If you have to drop out then take the “Leave Franchise” option so your opponents can play CPU and not be unable to play a game because you are not around. If you are away on holidays you can leave ( so human opponents can play CPU ) and then rejoin when you come back. Just post up on Boards so that no one takes your team when you are away.If your opponent is not responding message the Commissioner and he can boot the person from the franchise.

2. Headsets: Headsets are recommended during games. I understand that some don't like to talk during games and instead would prefer to focus on what you are doing. You may have children/wives alseep and you don't want to wake them, however you should still have the headset on so that you can hear your opponent should he need to tell you something.... he has to pause the game, has to go to the bathroom, important phone call, controller battery is dying, etc. Again, I'm not saying you have to talk for the entire game but keep the channels of communication OPEN. If you're playing late at night or otherwise need to be quiet during a game, please inform your opponent prior to kickoff.

3. Game Settings:Currently
    •Quarter Length: 7 Mins
    •Accelerated Clock: 15 secs
    •Skill Level: All-Pro

4. Setting Up A Game: All you have to do is go to franchise site, then when both are on line and press the start button to invite your opponent to a game. You see on the owners list who is online / offline. You can send messages, chats etc from the franchise site.

5. Connection problems: sometimes there are problems with two people connecting. The first thing to check is that both of your NATs are open (in the Xbox connection settings, if you are not sure what this is then ask). Assuming they are open and you still have problems, then please post on Boards for some help.

6. Cheese: We are striving to be a Sim league, that is to try to play as teams do in the NFL. Therefore, play calling should reflect that in your games. If you wouldn't see it in the NFL, you probably shouldn't be seeing it in these league games.

7. Playbooks: no limitations, whatever one you want to use.

8. Audibles/hotroutes/playmaker options: no limitations.

9. Adjusting depth charts in the game: no limitations.

10. 4th Downs: No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;

1. Within 15 seconds of half time, or the end of the game,
    2. You are 4th and 1 yards or less and within your opponents 35
    3. You are down by 10 points or more or more in the 4th quarter and in your opponents half.

With the exception of point 2 above, at all other times when you are in your own half you must punt.

These aren't the only situations but the main ones. We expect plays to be ones you see in the NFL every week.

Finally, if you are not going to take a field goal or punt on 4th down then you must tell your opponent you are 'going for it' before you choose your formation. No fake punts !

This rule is always the most contentious and causes most aggro in games. If we all follow the rule strictly as it is laid out above then it will be fair to all. You may argue that it is unreasonable but it is the single most oft rule argued about in leagues. The 4th down rule as set out above is taken from a league which has run for many seasons and has proved to be the only one which eliminates all issues.

11. Onside kicks: Onside kicks can only be used in the 4th quarter if you are losing by 7 or more points.

12. No huddle offence: The same should be said about the hurry up offense. This should be reserved for late in the game when you're down OR at the end of the half.

13. QB running: As far as running with the quarterback….we are not going to say you can't run with the QB but it should NOT be a staple of your offense. No one is going to complain when your guys are covered or when you're about to be sacked.You shouldn't be heading for the sidelines right, or dropping back 20 yards after the snap on most passing plays.

14. Moving DE's: Manually moving the DE's outside the O-line is discouraged. Moving them towards the inside or moving the tackles is fine. Defensive shifts that are done using the left button are fine.

15. Glitches/Exploits: There are a few glitches in the game, I'm not going to list them, but if you are exploiting these on a regular basis, and are aware of them, then you may be booted. Although it's nice to win, it's not at any cost.Remember, we have experienced and rookie players. Rookies may well glitch by accident, do not complain about it but point out why was wrong and what they should do to avoid it in future.

16. Sportsmanship: Use the Golden Rule. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Don't run up the score to pad your stats. If you have someone down and beaten, late in the game, have some class and run the clock out without rubbing salt in their wounds. Generally speaking, up by more than two scores with 2 minutes remaining should dictate you running the ball.

17. Disconnects: unfortunately these happen from time to time, however what we would ask is that you try to sort this out between yourselves.

Here is an online link to the Franchise site:
    http://www.easports.com/onlinefranchise/franchises

kilns wrote: »
    Cant believe I gave up first draft pick to you and you didnt even use it!!! :D
    You won't believe why ( after my rules essay above ). I was answering a query on going for it on 4th down by a guy in a franchise I play in because both guys were arguing over whether or not this particular guy was entitled to go for it. By the time I pointed him to the rulebook my pick was gone :(

No matter...you all hear it here now...Tony Gonzalez will be League MVP :pac:

And I see week 2 is Patriots @ Jets - Big Ben and Jones Drew will get a hearty welcome to the New Meadowlands !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Question. If I'm going on holiday would it be possible for me to play my games in advance if they are against the computer? or do we have to go at the same pace?

Wompa can you edit your post so the the rules do not appear as it will make the thread more readable.

Short answer NO. In franchise you can only play your games when a particular game week is open. So from now until Sunday 10th October you will have only one available game which you can play unfortunately. When you are away any games unplayed at the end of the week are simply simmed when the Commisioner forwards the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Fair play organising this lads, should be good craic. Must get a mic sorted in the next week...
    1 question; is it possible to practise with your online franchise? i.e. play practise games or training sessions?

Thanks,

K (NY Giants)

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    Fair play organising this lads, should be good craic. Must get a mic sorted in the next week...
    1 question; is it possible to practise with your online franchise? i.e. play practise games or training sessions?

Thanks,

K (NY Giants)

Somebody said last night that they thought you could by saving the team but There was no save option that I could see. It would be nice if there was a pre-season. But luckily my first game is against the Browns :P

Speaking of which is it possible to see what players other teams got? Might be easier to coax people on if we listed some of the main players in other teams rosters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Just won my first game, an epic 31:28 win against the mighty Panthers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Apologies lads for last night!!! Was about but the internet was down. Just couldn't do anything about it. :(

Unfortunately you cannot practice with your franchise team. There is no way to export it to play.

It was mentioned last night that you could but in fact that only applies to an offline franchise. An idea I had which you could use is to adjust the offline rosters to reflect your online franchise team, then save the team. Time consuming but might work.

@ Raoul. Sent you a friends request on XBox. When you join the franchise let me know and I will hand over the Commisioner role to you.

Any opinions on quarter lengths. Currently set to 7 min with 15 sec acc clock. Makes it hard to come back if you fall behind. 10 minutes is more common but some guys mentioned that they would find it difficult to play for an hour which is what would happen with 10mins. Maybe make it 10 mins for the playoffs ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I still haven't got an invite for this :pac:

To clarify for everyone wanting to join ( as I did the the same thing myself looking for an invite ). You don't actually need an invite.

On Xbox Live go to online franchise. Must be your XBox Live, you cannot join through the online franchise website.

Look for franchise with the name Boardsie

When you find it pick any team you want. The CPU will have drafted a squad for you ( you wont be able to see who you have until you actually join ). So the Saints are not the Saints sqaud but a fantasy squad, picked by the CPU because they had no owner at the time of the draft last night. You just use their stadium and kit. To see available teams go to franchise webite ( link at end of rules post ).

You will be asked for password which is something one of the existing members will pm you ( I have just sent it to Santry Red )

Any problems post in here

It's private on mine. Won't let me join :confused:

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's private on mine. Won't let me join :confused:
    You must join through your actual XBox itself.

You cannot join through the online franchise website

Also a handy tip if people want to get some friendly practice matches against each other. As people don't know each other and will not be on friends lists. Go into the Franchise and on the first screen you will see who is online and in Madden ( they will have green button opposite them ). Send them a message for a game or whatever !

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Speaking of which is it possible to see what players other teams got? Might be easier to coax people on if we listed some of the main players in other teams rosters?

Once you join the franchise you can go to the online franchise webiste and see the rosters of any team. Link to franchise website at the end of rules post.

To help out those who have not yet joined. An idea may be that if you do join and really do not like the roster of the team you pick, have a look at the other team rosters, find a team you might prefer. Then leave the franchise, then rejoin taking over the team you fancy.

Basically the teams should be very evenly rated so its really a matter of who you would like to play with.

Just played my first game. Final score 24 - 21 win. Won it in overtime. Great game!!

I'd like to thank my moms, my pops and the sweet baby jesus for giving me da mad skillz yall. You guys are going to walk all over me though, My defense it a complete shambles. Can't defend the run or the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

just finished my first game. 51-20 over the Texans.

It wasn't as one sided as the score makes it seem (only 10 first downs all game, long runs/passes got me my points); my defence really struggled at times and I lost my backup FS to broken ribs for 3 weeks

• Advertisement

Berty44 wrote: »
    Wompa can you edit your post so the the rules do not appear as it will make the thread more readable.

Short answer NO. In franchise you can only play your games when a particular game week is open. So from now until Sunday 10th October you will have only one available game which you can play unfortunately. When you are away any games unplayed at the end of the week are simply simmed when the Commisioner forwards the week.

I'm getting married later this month, hope the computer puts in a good effort while I'm away

Narrow 3 point win for the Jets. Player of the game - Anthony I'm Big With Hands Of Glue Gonzalez. 8 catches for 90 yards. What are the critics saying about the No. 1 Pick now.....lmao !:pac:

Gonzalez for MVP!!

just in case anyone isn't aware of it you can view the online franchise here: http://www.easports.com/onlinefranchise/franchises

Had an epic win in my first game at the Eagles :pac:

I was 28-23 up in the third quarter. And threw two picks for six each. Eagles went for two on the first one so they were 36-28 up with 4 mins left. Charged down the field with Matt Cassel as QB and got a TD and then converted the 2 pt conversion. Made the Eagles go 3 and out and won the game with a game winning field goal. Top Stuff :D

The CPU is not easy to beat ! I was 21-0 up and driving just before the half. Threw a pick and then fumbled on the next possession and suddenly only 7 up. Held on in the end. No easy games.

Vote Tony G for MVP

I've got six matches to play against people on boards so I'm happy with that. In hindsight we really should have put all of us into the same divisional leagues. That would have made it very interesting :D

• Advertisement

I think the grand plan is that the playoffs will contain all human players which would not be the case if we were all in the same divisions.

I think the grand plan is that the playoffs will contain all human players which would not be the case if we were all in the same divisions.

The way I played against the Eagles I can see myself missing out :pac:

SantryRed wrote: »
    I've got six matches to play against people on boards so I'm happy with that. In hindsight we really should have put all of us into the same divisional leagues. That would have made it very interesting :D

6 matches against humans! that's got to be the toughest schedule any of us has

Yep, have to play the Vikings twice, Jets, 49ers, Patriots and Giants.

Have those 6 games in my last 10 too. So will be some run in :D Is it one game a week?

The current plan is one game per week. Week 1 is a long one to allow for more people to join. After that we can see how it goes. Feedback is that suits everyone. We can fit two seasons including a rookie draft if the interest stays alive.

If anyone is interested in playing in a second normal 1 game per week franchise though another gaming site send me a pm and I will give you the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

what is the reason for the 4th down rules lads?

I have played in madden leagues for nearly two years and it's a rule that they have in place for many years before me. It makes for total fairness and with no ambiguity everyone can be assured that all play by the same rule. Otherwise you find guys going for it in ridiculous situations and things become farcical. The game can become a joke and cause bad feeling, I have seen it happen ! The rule makes it more realistic and I can guarantee makes for more enjoyable gameplay for everyone involved. I hope everyone agrees as this is a democracy but experience tells me it works very very well and everyone will enjoy their games much better if we play by the rules as stated

I have played in madden leagues for nearly two years and it's a rule that they have in place for many years before me. It makes for total fairness and with no ambiguity everyone can be assured that all play by the same rule. Otherwise you find guys going for it in ridiculous situations and things become farcical. The game can become a joke and cause bad feeling, I have seen it happen ! The rule makes it more realistic and I can guarantee makes fir more enjoyable gameplay for everyone involved. I hope everyone agrees as this is a democracy but experience tells me it works very very well andeverone will enjoy their games much better if we play by the rules as stated

What is the rule? Can't find it. Thanks!

Look back in previous pages of this thread There is a detailed post of rules we should try and play by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I have played in madden leagues for nearly two years and it's a rule that they have in place for many years before me. It makes for total fairness and with no ambiguity everyone can be assured that all play by the same rule. Otherwise you find guys going for it in ridiculous situations and things become farcical. The game can become a joke and cause bad feeling, I have seen it happen ! The rule makes it more realistic and I can guarantee makes for more enjoyable gameplay for everyone involved. I hope everyone agrees as this is a democracy but experience tells me it works very very well and everyone will enjoy their games much better if we play by the rules as stated

More realistic how? If any coach thought he was going to convert on 4th down he would go for it especially if it was a yard or less. Most coaches don't go for it on 4th down because of the fear of losing the ball in their own half or giving up good field position. But if a coach knew he was going to convert he would go for it.

I don't understand online gamers when they say "realism" by not allowing people call the plays they want on 4th down surely you are contradicting yourself when you say you want it more realistic?

Be like shouting across the sideline at Bill Belichick that night when he went for it on 4th down against the Colts telling him he shouldn't be doing it as it is unrealistic. If you have stopped someone on their 1st 3 downs why not stop them on 4th? Is it a fear they will convert or a fear they are giving up on the game so easy and giving you good field position and a win? If you are winning a game against a guy who likes to go for it on 4th all the time what is the problem?

There is a very very simple reason for it. Madden is a game and on 4th down is totally unrealistic. 99% on the time if you go for it on 4th down with a yard or less to go you will get it, because it is a game! In the real NFL the % is nowhere near 99%. Hence the rule.

Knowing that guys will go for it absolutely everywhere which is really unrealistic and it will become farcical. You can go for it in your own half for example in the final quarter if you are losing, that is reflective of the real nfl. You should not be able to go for it in the first quarter which is unrealistic and which is what will happen if we don't have the rule in.

You might as well be playing random games where guys do it all the time and then quit. I joined a league because I got fed up of guys who went for it on 4th down every time, came out in FG formations and ran the ball all game, ran out to the sidelines with their QB on every play and waited until the coverage breaks down and so on. If you don't have rules for the games I can tell you that aggro will arise, guys will fall out with each other, guys will drop out of the franchise and the league will run into problems.

I like the idea of playing fellow Irishmen in a game of Madden. Hopefully this little franchise which has been set up will be the start of something and will grow. That won't happen if guys get cheezed off and leave.

Every single league worldwide has a similar such a 4th down rule and for that very reason. You can do what you want against the CPU but when playing a human opponent nothing is more frustrating.

Everyone says they play for fun but then the odd thing then is that some guys get very peed off as they do not like losing even if it's only a computer game against someone you don't even know. I have been involved in situations as a league admin where guys have had to be thrown out of a league for screaming verbal abuse at each other......over a computer game !

Take it from me it will more enjoyable for all if we use that rule which is one that is universally accepted thoughout madden leagues everywhere.

Because what will happen is guys will be going for it on 4th and 1 on their own 20 in the first quarter. If you don't have a very specific 4th down rule things become farcical. You might as well be playing random games where guys di it all the time and then quit. It was because of such frustration that I joined a league

But from a realism standpoint shouldn't they be allowed choose whatever plays they want whether you agree with their decision or not?
    The main reason is that in madden if you are 1 yard or less you are almost guaranteed to get the first down. Knowing that guys will go for it absolutely everywhere which is really unrealistic.

I have stopped many folk over the years in both NCAA and Madden with 1 yard to go. I don't buy into the fact folk say you can't stop the conversion when you clearly can.

But getting back to the realism point. If a coach in the NFL 100% knew he was going to convert he would never punt.
    Everyone says they play for fun but then the odd thing then is that guys do not like losing if if it's only a computer game against someone you don't even know. I have been involved in situations as a league admin where guys have had to be thrown out of a league for screaming abuse at each other......over a computer game ! Take it from me it will more enjoyable for all if we use that rule which is one that is generally accepted thoughout madden leagues.

I don't know why you are mentioning this as I never brought it up.

I guess my main point is if I do eventually go into the league there will be times I will want to go for it on 4th down and if comes to it that I can only do it in certain situations that would kill my experience of the league.

In real life football coaches play the odds and 90% of the time they punt in their own half to play it safe. But it would be wrong to say it is unrealistic to go for it on your own 20. The guy with the controller is the teams coach and if he goes for it shouldn't that be his call? Sure in real life he will be ridiculed and lose his job as a coach if he failed all the time. But if he converted most of the time he would be praised.

I just don't see how this is an argument for "Realism" when it is a computer game to begin with and rules are being made that contradict realism. Making a rule to stop someone doing something that is allowed in real life is mad and unrealistic.

Might have amended my first post since you read it so you might want to re read it.

I agree we disagree on this.

All I will say is that I have played over 15 seasons of Madden leagues in the past 2 years ( I'm still crap :confused: ). I have been involved as Admin in a Madden league for the past 18 months. I have experience of how a succesful league run and I think that should count for something.

All I know is that if you start allowing people to go for it everywhere the league will eventually fail in my opinion. There is a lot of rationale in the rules I have suggested.

This is not my league but unless it has rules it will not be successful.

Tallaght I know you are a very long time Boards.ie American football afficianado and you have my respect for that, but I do think my opinion on this is relevant due to my experience.

I never susggested you brought up the point about guys playing for fun, not remotely suggesting you did, it just what everyone says when they start playing Madden online, just making a point

What does everyone else think?

All I will say is that i have played over 20 seasons of Madden leagues in the past 2 years ( I'm still crap :confused: ). I have experience of how a succesful league run and I think that should count for something.

Who is saying it shouldn't count for anything? All rules should be discussed is all I am saying and both sides should be taken into consideration and decsions made where all agree to it. You are clearly on the side of realism and not going for it and I am half and half on the idea and given my reasons why I dont buy into the realism thing.
    All I know is that if you start allowing people to go for it everywhere the league will eventually fail in my opinion. There is a lot of rationale in the rules I have suggested.

From my experience it fails because those who percieve realism to be key get more annoyed than those who don't. A guy who goes for it on 4th down doesn't see anything wrong because in real life there is no rule that says a football team can't do it. In most cases it is idiotic at best to go for it.
    This is not my league but unless it has rules it will not be successful.

I am not disagreeing with this but rules have to be made that both sides of the coin agree.
    Tallaght I know you are a very long time Boards.ie American football afficianado and you have my respect for that, but I do think my opinion on this is relevant due to my experience.

I am not doubting your experience on this and to be honest with you I know many guys who play the same way and they completely shut out going for it on 4th down unless you are in the opponents half or losing in the 4th and to me that is a rule I do not agree with. For many of the reasons I said. They say realism and I say because people are bad losers and if they get beat by someone who isnt follwoing "Real Life" as they put it, it makes them angry.

But there will always be two types of guys in life those who like to play what they consider realism and those who like to take risks that seems out side the norm. And you have to cater for both to keep both sides happy.
    I never susggested you brought up the point about guys playing for fun, not remotely suggesting you did, it just what everyone says when they start playing Madden online, just making a point

What does everyone else think?

Yes but again some peoples fun is going for it on 4th down. You have to cater for both sides with your rules or it will still have failings. And there is always sore losers out regardless of rules. Some people don't like to lose regardless of what they are doing.

Tallaght, dunno if you remember me but I was also trying to get Irish guys to play madden over a year ago when madden 10 came out. We had some minor disagreements back then as well.:) We agreed to disagree back then also !

In the end I have to say you were most helpful to me in pointing me to sites where I might find some guys, ( turned out to be fruitless ) but you did your bit to help me.

I reckon I have played more Madden online games than anyone else in the league so I know what works and what does not work. To be honest if there was a go for it on 4th down rule ironically I would probably benefit from it more most as I know what is successful in very short yardage.

All I will say is I know what I am doing, I also know what most guys tend to want when playing in Madden leagues. Since this idea was mooted you can look back and see how helpful I have been to everyone who has had any kind of issues on this thread. At the end of the day I want to see a successful Boards.ie Madden league.

The reason why guys join leagues is to play by realistic rules that similar minded players abide by. Otherwise why bother, just play randomers all the time when everyone goes for it on 4th down.

At the end of the day the simple question is, should we have the 4th down rule or not ( the voting is 1-1 at the moment :pac:......I think )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

When you're looking for an even, somewhat realistic game of Maddan I think it's a good rule. Otherwise you've eegits going for it on 4th and 10 on their own 20 because they couldn't be arsed punting it away.

At the end of the day the simple question is, should we have the 4th down rule or not ( the voting is 1-1 at the moment :pac:......I think )

You are completely missing my points and it seems you are not open to discussion on this as you know best etc etc etc.

I don't agree with going for all 4th downs as that is just stupid but if I am at short yardage and feel it would be best to attempt the conversion why shouldn't I be allowed. You have to cater for those who use 4th down conversions wisely and don't abuse them. If you don't you will still have endless debates after the rule is made and human nature will always kick in regardless of the rule. As there is plenty of bad losers on both sides of the coin.

A blanket ban on it is ridiculous at best. I agree rules need to be made and agree with a lot of what you are saying but you are not seeing the other side at all and you are totally sticking to your guns that your opinion is best and you know best so to be honest no worth discussing anymore with you if you are not open to discussing the what the rule should be.

The rule reads:

4th Downs: No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;

3. You are down by 10 points or more or more in the 4th quarter and in your opponents half.

That is absolutely not a blanket ban, it specifies very clearly ( and realistically in my opinion ) when you can and cannot go for it.

I am open for discussion, that is why I asked for peoples opinions above !

Finally of course I do see your point of view, I just happen to disagree.

The rule reads:

4th Downs: No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;

That is absolutely not a blanket ban, it specifies very clearly ( and realistically in my opinion ) when you can and cannot go for it.

I am open for discussion, that is why I asked for peoples opinions above !

Finally of course I do see your point of view, I just happen to disagree.

My version:

1. Within 2 minutes of half time, or the end of the game,
    2. You are 4th and 1 yards or less and within your opponents 40
    3. You are down by a TD or more in the 4th quarter and in your opponents half.
    4. You are allowed 3 Conversion attempts within reason if losing and on 4th down and short either half outside the above rules.

Again stop with the realism bit already. So far this season in the NFL there have at least 5 or 6 4th down attempts outside your rules above in Real life. ;)
    I am open for discussion, that is why I asked for peoples opinions above ! Finally of course I do see your point of view, I just happen to disagree.

Being open for discussion to be fair is not saying to someone you know best and disagree with their point of view and then spread your wings like a peacock sprouting off your experience etc etc. Had you put it to me like your last post we would have avoided the last few long posts.

:

Again stop with the realism bit already. So far this season in the NFL there have at least 5 or 6 4th down attempts outside your rules above in Real life. ;)
    Most guys want realism, that why they want to play in a league.

I get the feeling you are just trying to change the rule to win a point. The rule as I suggested has been talked about and agreed universally by many many madden ballers. Also re the time, we are not playing 15 minute quarters, just 7 to start with so 2 minutes is unrealistic in my opinion.

:

Being open for discussion to be fair is not saying to someone you know best and disagree with their point of view and then spread your wings like a peacock sprouting off your experience etc etc. Had you put it to me like your last post we would have avoided the last few long posts.

5 posts ago I asked what people think the rule should be, I think thats being open to discussion.

As for spreading my wings like a peacock, all I was trying to say was that I just am not some greenhorn making this up as I go along, I was letting you know I have experience of playing in leagues, running leagues so I know what works. What leagues have you played in?

The quarters we are playing are only 7 minutes not 15 so two minutes is too much in my opinion.

As for being open for discussion 5 posts above I aked for peoples opinion, cannot be much more open than that.

As for spreading my wings, the point I was trying to make was that I have been involved in playing and adminning madden league for a while so I am not just making it up as I go along, I know what is involved in running successful madden lague.

Do you play leagues?

Most guys want realism, that why they want to play in a league.

Again missing my point about realism.
    I get the feeling you are just trying to change the rule to win a point.

Yes thats what it is i am wasting my time here just to prove a point :rolleyes:
    The rule as I suggested has been talked about and agreed universally by many many madden ballers. Also re the time, we are not playing 15 minute quarters, just 7 to start with so 2 minutes is unrealistic in my opinion.

I know it has and I have played in many leagues in the past who have gone off this by adding variety to the rule and discuss it.
    As for spreading my wings like a peacock, all I was trying to say was that I just am not some greenhorn making this up as I go along, I was letting you know I have experience of playing in leagues, running leagues so I know what works. What leagues have you played in?

No one questioned your experience with the game so there was no need to go into a defensive front about your experience. And asking me what leagues I played in proves to me how defensive you have gone about someone questioning the rules. I am not questioning you or your experience playing the game merely just debating the rule. I don't understand why you think other wise.

But to answer your question I was in a long running league since the early days of online gaming until I stopped buying madden in 09. Played in an NCAA league for a couple of years also. In fact one of the league I was has been running since the non online era. But thats neither here nor there the issue at hand is discussing the rule.

might be a bit late to say it now but i think the 4th down rules are a bit too tight. i think a team should have the option of having a go at 4th and 1 at any time in any position (it's their gamble to take) or at any time in the 4th quarter if behind (regardless of how far behind they are or field position).

we don't want people going on 4th every time but they should be able to try occasionally, indeed the numbers suggest that more NFL teams should do it.

One thing we may need to address is restarting matches against the computer, one of the week 1 games in our franchise was started 5 times; shouldn't be any need for that.

You are missing my point about realism. Most guys get fed up playing randomers in games and that is why they want to join leagues, that play more sim type of madden. When the draft was being done the other night that was the feeling I got from chatting on the mic to the guys involved as well. They are looking for the realistic gameplay which the rules as stated give them. The rules as suggested are set up to make the game more enjoyable. I'm not saying they emulate realism this but look above, the only other guy who so far contributed to this discussion effectively said so. In addition at least two of the guys who play in this franchise have already joined another league I play in for this very reason, they want to play realistic type games.

I play 3 madden league games a week, I lose as often as I win but I enjoy playing them. I have 75 guys on a friends list who play madden and always have someone to play a game against. I don't need to play in another league, but what I do want to see is this one succeed, simply because its Irish. I have put some time into helping set it up, drafting up rules etc.

I am happy to leave it up to the guys who have joined the league to come on here and let us know what they think.

• Advertisement

McG wrote: »
    might be a bit late to say it now but i think the 4th down rules are a bit too tight. i think a team should have the option of having a go at 4th and 1 at any time in any position (it's their gamble to take) or at any time in the 4th quarter if behind (regardless of how far behind they are or field position).

we don't want people going on 4th every time but they should be able to try occasionally, indeed the numbers suggest that more NFL teams should do it.

One thing we may need to address is restarting matches against the computer, one of the week 1 games in our franchise was started 5 times; shouldn't be any need for that.

I agree about restarting matches.

The reason you should not be allowed go for 4th down anywhere is because in madden it is generally to easy to get. But if the majority agree with you and disagree with me then so be it. Its the Boards.ie league.

Personally I would not be interested in playing like that, thats just my own preference.

Advertisement