Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madden NFL 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Yes = You should be allowed go for it on 4th down anywhere
    No = Rules on 4th down as above are applied

Jets - Berty 44 - NO
    Patriots - lynch1047 - ?
    Colts - Sundalic ?
    Giants - Fuzzyfitzg - ?
    Packers - Ben SFC - ?
    Vikings - Dangerous Diego - ?
    Buccaneers - Paddy Small Balls - ?
    49ers - keary90 ?

McG and Tallaght, what are your teams / tags so I can register your votes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Berty44 wrote: »
    Yes = You should be allowed go for it on 4th down anywhere

Jets - Berty 44 - NO
    Patriots - lynch1047 - ?
    Colts - Sundalic ?
    Giants - Fuzzyfitzg - ?
    Packers - Ben SFC - ?
    Vikings - Dangerous Diego - ?
    Buccaneers - Paddy Small Balls - ?
    49ers - keary90 ?

See the bit in bold shows you are not taking in what I say or even what McG says.

Yes = You should be allowed go for it on 4th and 1 anywhere. No more than 4th and 1 anywhere as a compromise.

We both said 4th and short you should be allowed go for it i.e in this case 4th and 1. Look Berty to be honest with you I am done going back and forth with you. The fact you are continually trying to prove yourself by sprouting your experience shows me you are taking all of this personally and taking it too defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I'm Sundalic, if it's a choice between the pre defined 4th down rules or no 4th down rule then I'll vote for the 4th down rule but it could be relaxed a little.

See the bit in bold shows you are not taking in what I say or even what McG says.

Yes = You should be allowed go for it on 4th and 1 anywhere. No more than 4th and 1 anywhere as a compromise.

We both said 4th and short you should be allowed go for it i.e in this case 4th and 1. Look Berty to be honest with you I am done going back and forth with you. The fact you are continually trying to prove yourself by sprouting your experience shows me you are taking all of this personally and taking it too defensively.

A bit petty. I was trying to keep it simple. Firstly you said short yardage ( 4th and 2 is short yardage), then refined it to 4th and 1 inside the 40 with some additional situations , Mcg said 4th and 1 anywhere.

And by virtue of the fact that you have not posted who you are in the league suggests to me that you have not even bothered to join it. You have been going on about rules for a league that you look like you are not going to play in ?

I am not trying to prove myself. Quite simply nearly every single time I have posted on a Madden thread here in the past 2 years you have found something to take issue with me over. Last time I was trying to get guys to play Madden in a Madden thread you told me feck off and post in the games section. I posted information in a Madden thread for guys who were interested in playing Madden online, and I quote you:

"Can I Just say I know I entered into a chat before about online gaming in the American Football section but it was brief.

Can people please stop advertising online tournaments in here. The games section is <

That way.

I know this is the American Football Forum but it is not a games forum or a recruitment section for online gaming. Most of the members who use this section if interested in online gaming would also check the online forum as we have been reminded of it so many times."

And that was in a specific Madden 10 thread in the NFL section. The little league we are running got its impetus from here, the NFL section. So forgive me if I am feeling defensive as a result but if I did not know any better I would think that you were trying to sabotage the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ah lads, agree to diagree? Please? :)

A bit petty. I was trying to keep it simple. Firstly you said short yardage ( 4th and 2 is short yardage), then refined it to 4th and 1 inside the 40 with some additional situations , Mcg said 4th and 1 anywhere.

Clutching at straws
    And by virtue of the fact that you have not posted who you are in the league suggests to me that you have not even bothered to join it. You have been going on about rules for a league that you look like you are not going to play in ?

Had you read the hwole thread you would see I am away from my 360.
    I am not trying to prove myself. Quite simply nearly every single time I have posted on a Madden thread here in the past 2 years you have found something to take issue with me over. Last time I was trying to get guys to play Madden in a Madden thread you told me feck off and post in the games section. I posted information in a Madden thread for guys who were interested in playing Madden online, and I quote you:

Again taking it personal.
    "Can I Just say I know I entered into a chat before about online gaming in the American Football section but it was brief.

Can people please stop advertising online tournaments in here. The games section is <

That way.

I know this is the American Football Forum but it is not a games forum or a recruitment section for online gaming. Most of the members who use this section if interested in online gaming would also check the online forum as we have been reminded of it so many times."

Show me where I said I never played online will you?
    And that was in a specific Madden 10 thread in the NFL section. The little league we are running got its impetus from here, the NFL section. So forgive me if I am feeling defensive as a result but if I did not know any better I would think that you were trying to sabotage the league.

Times have changed and you really think I am trying to sabotage the league? How old are you 10? I simply entered into a debate with you over the rules of the league I intend to join once I get back to my 360. The fact i have debated in this thread with others over the same ruling and none of them took it personal shows the problem is with you berty. If you sit back away from the PC and calm down and stop looking at all of this as a personal vendetta you might see it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Right, think my net is back properly. Even though whoever is commissioner (Berty is it? Cheers) now can still remain commissioner now if they want. They seem to be doing a better job than I was.

I joined as the Eagles, Eamonn87.

I think the rules about the 4th down should be maybe a little relaxed for our first season and see how it goes. We can change them at any point really, this first season is really only a test season to see how it goes and we can work out all the kinks later. So for now I think we should go with the more relaxed 4th down ruling. You can argue all day about realism and both points are valid in their own right. So lads, dont fall out over it.

Edit - had originally joined as the Eagles, but I someone has already played me and beat me so would be it ok if I go back and join as the Lions. I haven't looked at their team or anything like that or even who they played. As I have said on other threads and earlier in this I am a Lions fan.

Raoul wrote: »
    Right, think my net is back properly. Even though whoever is commissioner (Berty is it? Cheers) now can still remain commissioner now if they want. They seem to be doing a better job than I was.

I joined as the Eagles, Eamonn87.

I think the rules about the 4th down should be maybe a little relaxed for our first season and see how it goes. We can change them at any point really, this first season is really only a test season to see how it goes and we can work out all the kinks later. So for now I think we should go with the more relaxed 4th down ruling. You can argue all day about realism and both points are valid in their own right. So lads, dont fall out over it.

Edit - had originally joined as the Eagles, but I someone has already played me and beat me so would be it ok if I go back and join as the Lions. I haven't looked at their team or anything like that or even who they played. As I have said on other threads and earlier in this I am a Lions fan.

You might as well start with a clean slate.

How about these for 4th down rules?
    1) Go for it anytime inside the 10 (Broncos kept trying it last weekend so it's not like it's unrealistic)
    2) Go for it anytime in the Q4 when behind OR inside opposition 40
    3) Go for it anytime when 4th and 1 inside opposition 40
    4) Go for it only 1 more time in a given game outside of the rules above

Would that be ok?

... and no restarting games against the computer (unless you can't help it. e.g xbox freezes, power outage, girlfriend/wife demands you change the channel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

5 restarts against the comp. is a joke tbh! Who was that?

• Advertisement

McG wrote: »
    You might as well start with a clean slate.

How about these for 4th down rules?
    1) Go for it anytime inside the 10 (Broncos kept trying it last weekend so it's not like it's unrealistic)

Would that be ok?

... and no restarting games against the computer (unless you can't help it. e.g xbox freezes, power outage, girlfriend/wife demands you change the channel).

Cheers.

I think those 4th down rules are good enough for the time being.

As for the restarting games. The EA servers are terrible. So like its understandable if someone gets cut off, so is the all the above especially the girlfriend one.

I think that the person should only have three chances to restart any one game and then the game should be simmed and they also have to come on here and state the reason for the restarts.

Also if the same person is restarting games every week then it will have to be looked into.

What about if two people are playing each other and the game gets disconnected?? What if one person is running away with it or simply up in the last quarter. How is that going to be settled??

@Raoul

I will hand the Commissioner role over to you as I said I would above. You decide whatever rules etc.

@ Archimedes.

As requested I agree to disagee:)

Cheers.

I think those 4th down rules are good enough for the time being.

As for the restarting games. The EA servers are terrible. So like its understandable if someone gets cut off, so is the all the above especially the girlfriend one.

I think that the person should only have three chances to restart any one game and then the game should be simmed and they also have to come on here and state the reason for the restarts.

Also if the same person is restarting games every week then it will have to be looked into.

What about if two people are playing each other and the game gets disconnected?? What if one person is running away with it or simply up in the last quarter. How is that going to be settled??

Not sure what we can do about disconnects, hopefully we won't have to deal with it. If it appears someone is disconnecting on purpose when losing what powers does the commissioner have?

McG wrote: »
    Not sure what we can do about disconnects, hopefully we won't have to deal with it. If it appears someone is disconnecting on purpose when losing what powers does the commissioner have?

Well, if people come on here and explain their reason for a disconnect it will help eradicate people doing it on purpose. The commissioner has the power to kick someone from the league which is possible punishment for someone who is constantly restarting.

Also are we giving people a full week to play to games or how long?

Berty, has everyone been invited to the league?

Raoul,

Not sure. We have not been actually sending out invites. Just posting name of franchise on here. Then if someone wants to join they just look for the franchise BOARDSIE on xbox and pm one of the existing members for the password, no need to be invited.

We were leaving the first gameweek open until Sunday 10th to allow as many as possible the opportunity to join.

Thats perfect Berty, cheers!

Official Franchise Rule Book
    1. Schedule the game as either through message on Xbox or through Boards. It is inevitable that guys will drop out during the season.

If you have to drop out then take the “Leave Franchise” option so your opponents can play CPU and not be unable to play a game because you are not around.

If you are away on holidays you can leave ( so human opponents can play CPU ) and then rejoin when you come back. Just post up on Boards so that no one takes your team when you are away.

If your opponent is not responding message the Commissioner and he can boot the person from the franchise.

2. Headsets:
      Headsets are recommended during games. I understand that some don't like to talk during games and instead would prefer to focus on what you are doing. You may have children/wives alseep and you don't want to wake them, however you should still have the headset on so that you can hear your opponent should he need to tell you something.... he has to pause the game, has to go to the bathroom, important phone call, controller battery is dying, etc. Again, I'm not saying you have to talk for the entire game but keep the channels of communication OPEN. If you're playing late at night or otherwise need to be quiet during a game, please inform your opponent prior to kickoff.

3. Game Settings:
      •Quarter Length: 7 Mins
      •Accelerated Clock: 15 secs
      •Skill Level: All-Pro

4. Setting Up A Game: All you have to do is go to franchise site, then when both are on line and press the start button to invite your opponent to a game. You see on the owners list who is online / offline. You can send messages, chats etc from the franchise site.

5. Connection problems and Restarts: sometimes there are problems with two people connecting. The first thing to check is that both of your NATs are open (in the Xbox connection settings, if you are not sure what this is then ask). Assuming they are open and you still have problems, then please post on Boards for some help

If you have to restart a game you must post in this thread the reason for your restart. Games must be restarted no more than three times after this number of restarts, the game will be simmed when the week is advanced.

If a person is persistently restarting games, this will be dealt with seriously and banning from the league is possible

6. We are striving to be a Sim league, that is to try to play as teams do in the NFL. Therefore, play calling should reflect that in your games. If you wouldn't see it in the NFL, you probably shouldn't be seeing it in these league games.

7. Playbooks: no limitations, whatever one you want to use.

8. Audibles/hotroutes/playmaker options: no limitations.

9. Adjusting depth charts in the game: no limitations.

10. 4th Downs: No going for it on 4th down unless the situation calls for it, some specific examples are;

These aren't the only situations but the main ones. We expect plays to be ones you see in the NFL every week.

Finally, if you are not going to take a field goal or punt on 4th down then you must tell your opponent you are 'going for it' before you choose your formation. No fake punts !

This rule is always the most contentious and causes most aggro in games. If we all follow the rule strictly as it is laid out above then it will be fair to all. You may argue that it is unreasonable but it is the single most oft rule argued about in leagues. The 4th down rule as set out above is taken from a league which has run for many seasons and has proved to be the only one which eliminates all issues.

11. Onside kicks: Onside kicks can only be used in the 4th quarter if you are losing

12. No huddle offence: The same should be said about the hurry up offense. This should be reserved for late in the game when you're down OR at the end of the half.

13. QB running: As far as running with the quarterback….we are not going to say you can't run with the QB but it should NOT be a staple of your offense. No one is going to complain when your guys are covered or when you're about to be sacked.You shouldn't be heading for the sidelines right, or dropping back 20 yards after the snap on most passing plays.

14. Moving DE's: Manually moving the DE's outside the O-line is discouraged. Moving them towards the inside or moving the tackles is fine. Defensive shifts that are done using the left button are fine.

15. Glitches/Exploits: There are a few glitches in the game, I'm not going to list them, but if you are exploiting these on a regular basis, and are aware of them, then you may be booted. Although it's nice to win, it's not at any cost.Remember, we have experienced and rookie players. Rookies may well glitch by accident, do not complain about it but point out why was wrong and what they should do to avoid it in future.

16. Sportsmanship: Use the Golden Rule. Treat others how you wish to be treated. Don't run up the score to pad your stats. If you have someone down and beaten, late in the game, have some class and run the clock out without rubbing salt in their wounds. Generally speaking, up by more than two scores with 2 minutes remaining should dictate you running the ball.
    17. Joining the franchise:
      The franchise name is boardsie. Simply search for this franchise using your xbox live account on your Xbox only. Once you have found it you will have to enter the password. Simply pm me the password and I will pm you back asap.

18. People will have a week to play games. If all human games are played the week will be advanced and people will be notified in this thread and again will have a week to play their next game.

Here is an online link to the Franchise site:
    http://www.easports.com/onlinefranchise/franchises[/QUOTE]

Could a mod sticky the above post to the start of the thread and put a note in the the thread title that the franchise rules are in the first post and perhaps mention online franchise in the actual thread title.

If anybody has anything to add to the rules or if there is anything wrong please let me know. I basically stole Bertys rule book and added little bits in and took little bits out. Happy to do that for the next day or two until we are all as happy as possible.

Onside kicks: Onside kicks can only be used in the 4th quarter if you are losing by 7 or more points.

I don't understand this one? In regards, lets say you are 13 points down in a high scoring game. You score a TD with 3 minutes left and there is now 6 in the game. You haven't been able to stop the offense all stay so surely then you could go for the onside kick then?

@ Raoul,

An idea is to go open the madden online website in a separate browser window. As Commissioner you have the ability to post news. You can copy and paste the rules so that they appear as a news item on the franchise. That way nobody can say that they were not aware of thema sthey will always be just sitting there.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Onside kicks: Onside kicks can only be used in the 4th quarter if you are losing by 7 or more points.

I don't understand this one? In regards, lets say you are 13 points down in a high scoring game. You score a TD with 3 minutes left and there is now 6 in the game. You haven't been able to stop the offense all stay so surely then you could go for the onside kick then?

Yeah I sort of agree with this. Anyone else got any opinions?

Maybe onside kicks can only be used in the fourth quarter if you are losing?

Yeah I sort of agree with this. Anyone else got any opinions?

Maybe onside kicks can only be used in the fourth quarter if you are losing?

I think that's the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

With regard to 4th downs, I believe people should only be allowed go for them in the 4th quarter when behind.

There is nothing more frustration than shutting a guy out when he is inside his own 20 yard line then he goes for it on 4th and 10 or something and then gets lucky. I know there is the chance that its get turned over but in reality they would never go for it in those situations.

I would be only open to a 4th and 1 situation only!

kilns wrote: »
    With regard to 4th downs, I believe people should only be allowed go for them in the 4th quarter when behind.

There is nothing more frustration than shutting a guy out when he is inside his own 20 yard line then he goes for it on 4th and 10 or something and then gets lucky. I know there is the chance that its get turned over but in reality they would never go for it in those situations.

I would be only open to a 4th and 1 situation only!

I think the rules set out should do the job. Players should be able to go on 4th but only in a limited number of circumstances

Right, I played my game I lost but for some reason it didnt register. So I went back in and restarted. Simmed it until the 4th quarter and then just threw the game in the last quarter in the interest of fairness.

Right, I played my game I lost but for some reason it didnt register. So I went back in and restarted. Simmed it until the 4th quarter and then just threw the game in the last quarter in the interest of fairness.

Fair play man. Not too many would have admitted it.

When are the next round of games btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pstokes

how do i join?

To join just search for boardsie on the franchise place within madden and then pick your team and i can send you the password now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Ok firstly let me say that I wont be playing in this, I don't own an Xbox or PS3. But Just wondering why your not allowed to fake punt? Fake punts happen, you mightn't see them every game, but they do happen so why cant they be run? I just don't understand that?

• Advertisement

Absolutely they do happen in the real NFL, nut this is a game of Madden not the NFL. Unfortunately there are many many flaws in the game of Madden which are exploited by online gamers. If you play ranked games regularly you will quickly become very frustrated by all the cheezy type plays that are used ( such as coming out in FG formation and running the ball every play ). Eventually many people simply get totally fed up with this "cheese" and want to play straight games against similar minded players along established rules.

Obviously it is very difficult to establish rules that everyone will agree on ( if you read above you will see that people have widely different viewpoints :)). The rules that most franchises / leagues use have evolved over the past few years of Madden and fake punting is usually a rule that everyone agrees should not be done. I'm not saying that its right or wrong, just that its commonly accepted in online leagues.

Absolutely they do happen in the real NFL, nut this is a game of Madden not the NFL.

One thing I pointed out to you before you went off on me about wanting to ruin the league and picking on you :rolleyes: Was that you wanted reality but you didn't want it at the same time. Hardcore online gamers are a tough nut to crack they always want to have their cake and eat it. Reminds me of this:

mp-reality.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

tallaghtoutlaws you really are just trying to provoke another reaction from berty44 with the pic ? I mean if you disagree fine , if you don't want to play with a democratic 4down rules that can change... dont play. I mean relax its a game.

The first year of the franchise is going to be a tester, after that we'll hopefully be able to have set rules from then on. Lets just enjoy it

did i beat the saints ? im the vikings btw. I have 2 more weeks away and ill be back on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Has Tallaght even signed up to play?

Dont think he should be trying to dictate the rules if he isnt even willing to join and take part

kilns wrote: »
    Has Tallaght even signed up to play?

Dont think he should be trying to dictate the rules if he isnt even willing to join and take part

I intend to join when I get back to my 360. As I said twice already I am not in a position to sign up just yet. And I am not trying to dictate anything ffs. :rolleyes:

tallaghtoutlaws you really are just trying to provoke another reaction from berty44 with the pic ? I mean if you disagree fine , if you don't want to play with a democratic 4down rules that can change... dont play. I mean relax its a game.

I am quite relaxed but thank you for your concern. The fact that the rules were thrashed out after the discussion started shows it was needed to discuss it. The current rules in place are now fine. I never said they weren't I said the total block on 4th down conversions was ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I joined the new franchise that was set up. only saw the message in my inbox earlier today. when did it kick-off? i see berty44 has beaten my ravens already. when are the games played?
    We were leaving the first gameweek open until Sunday 10th to allow as many as possible the opportunity to join.

if this is the case how come I've missed a game already?

The gameweek is open until Sunday 10th. That means that us the LAST day to play games before they are simmed. Anyone who has a fixture has been playing it rather that leaving it until the last minute. There are loads of free teams who have not played their game yet. Remember the Ravens are not the real Ravens just their kits and stadium. So unless you really want that you can go back out and rejoin as another team who has not played a game and whose roster you prefer, it's totally up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The gameweek is open until Sunday 10th. That means that us the LAST day to play games before they are simmed. Anyone who has a fixture has been playing it rather that leaving it until the last minute. There are loads of free teams who have not played their game yet. Remember the Ravens are not the real Ravens just their kits and stadium. So unless you really want that you can go back out and rejoin as another team who has not played a game and whose roster you prefer, it's totally up to you.

do you think we should still leave when going on holiday? Or should we leave it to sim at the end of the week....

I'm going late October, early November. I'm fine with doing it either way. I'd like to keep the Bucs though.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    do you think we should still leave when going on holiday? Or should we leave it to sim at the end of the week....

I'm going late October, early November. I'm fine with doing it either way. I'd like to keep the Bucs though.

Well its grand if you arent playing anybody but the computer there is no need to leave. But like if you are playing against a human then leaving would be handier so that the other person could at least play the computer.

Game week will be advanced asap today.

For some strange reason, I am not commissioner anymore :confused:

Whoever paddysmallballs is, they are commissioner. Actually have no idea how this happened. Sorry lads :confused:

• Advertisement

For some strange reason, I am not commissioner anymore :confused:

Whoever paddysmallballs is, they are commissioner. Actually have no idea how this happened. Sorry lads :confused:

That's me..ahhhhh what do I do!?..

You can just go to commissioner options and make me commissioner. But first advance the week. Will be handier if you just do both while you are online.

Cheers

You can just go to commissioner options and make me commissioner. But first advance the week. Will be handier if you just do both while you are online.

Cheers

Ok doesn't look like I can do it from the Franchise link on the web...I'll do it when I get home from work on the Xbox. Funny I was on it last night going to play my next game and didn't even notice I was commisioner.

Correct. You can only advance the week or hand over Commissioner roles on XBox live not through the onliine site. Will be interesting as first human v human games are to be played this week. My Jets are up against Kilns Patriots scheduled for Thursday night

Anybody interested in trades? I'm in the market for some stronger defensive players. I got some decent offensive guys, Tebow could make someone very happy if trained right!! ;-) Like a dog with peanut butter

Any chance this could be moved forward a week so we can play game 2? :)

SantryRed wrote: »
    Any chance this could be moved forward a week so we can play game 2? :)

Sorry just home. Week 2 is now available and Raoul is Commish

I think I know what happened Raoul. You cannot leave the franchise without appointing a Commissioner. If you do a Commissioner is automatically appointed. Looking at the franchise site that appears to have happened.

Right, so people have until the 19th of Oct to play their games.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Anybody interested in trades? I'm in the market for some stronger defensive players. I got some decent offensive guys, Tebow could make someone very happy if trained right!! ;-) Like a dog with peanut butter

I have a FS rated 74, darcell mcbath
    DT - 73 - Roy Miller
    SS - 75 - Tryell Johnson
    Interested in any of these?

Im the detroit lions btw!

• Advertisement
Advertisement