Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoplifters

• 29-04-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Last week a youngfella tried to shoplift in the shop i work in, we called the gardai and he bolted but got nothing. To be honest he wasn't very intelligent and i caught him straight away. Saw him heading up town again today with an empty shopping bag to see what else he could fleese. Is there a lot of this going on around town? Word of warning to all those working in shops!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There is constant shoplifting. It's nothing unusual at all, unfortunately. Everything from eating a sausage roll while walking around a supermarket to dashing out the door with a whole trolley full of shopping. And you would be surprised how often it is the innocent looking old woman or middle aged one done up to look posh. It's not always the stereotypical kids at lunchtime and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have worked in retail for going on 7 years and it's all shapes and sizes that do it! Little feckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

People working in offices should also be aware of thieves. Foreign guys coming into the office hoping there'll be little or no staff around and try to rob something that could be lying around at reception, like a handbag, phone, laptop etc, anything they can quickly swipe and walk out with. If there's someone there they'll just ask do you want your windows cleaned or your office painted. If this happens report it to the Gardai immediately and give them a description of the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Wilde_37

Foreign guys coming into the office hoping there'll be little or no staff around and try to rob something...

Only foreign looking guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Wilde_37 wrote: »

Yeah, all us Irish are getting drunk in the pub...seeing as we're generalising here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Bloody students :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

smelly Kilkenny farmers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

damn dublin lads coming down.....:)

oh wait i am from dublin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Stupid fat yanks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

They should do what I´ve seen down in Cork & post up pictures of shoplifters on the door/windows of the pub/shop etc.

take the images of the CCTV cameras?

not sure about the legal situation but can´t see the Guards prosecuting for anyone for it .. especially if it´s caught on CCTV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

comeraghs wrote: »
    They should do what I´ve seen down in Cork & post up pictures of shoplifters on the door/windows of the pub/shop etc.

not sure about the legal situation but can´t see the Guards prosecuting for anyone for it .. especially if it´s caught on CCTV
    Good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Ledger wrote: »
    Stupid fat yanks :p

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy hold on now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Wilde_37 wrote: »
    Yes. Well, it's not that they are foreign looking, they are just foreign. If I saw Irish guys doing this I would've said so, but it was only foreign guys I saw doing this, and to be more specific, they were east European.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

comeraghs wrote: »

spar up in barrack street always have pics of shoplifters up behind there counter labelled as competion winners

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

i was shopping in dunnes yesterday and they have their bags of spuds tagged the girl at the checkout said they are literally walking out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Trust me by Christmas, spuds and meat will be tagged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

thats telling ya how bad things are in this city when a 4.99 bag of roosters has to be security tagged eh!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Retail theft is big business and like insurance fraud it is the consumer who bear's the cost,you could say a crime against us all,nothing is free in this life,somebody,somewhere pay's the price,YOU !.Every weekend organised gang's of shoplifters go to work across ireland,exchange info on easy targets,etc,etc.We can learn a lesson from our arab friend's.CUT OFF THEIR RIGHT HAND.
    LYNCHWOOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I remember when I was younger and in the presence of some less-than-desirables. One walked into Pennys, and says "Watch this". He walks up to the Security Guard, sticks his finger up at him, grabs a few pairs of jeans - Walks back over to the security guard and says tells him basically to go f*ck himself and that he can't do anything and walked out of the store. Absolutely nothing came of it. I was absolutely gobsmacked. Needless to say, I stopped hanging out with that crowd pretty sharpish.

Looking back now - I'm amazed at their inability to distinguish what's wrong and what's right. They really don't care if they are even caught. Especially if it's in a shop and someone is there on their own, because they know that the person isn't really in a position to challenge some scumbag over a few packets of crisps or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yes. Well, it's not that they are foreign looking, they are just foreign. If I saw Irish guys doing this I would've said so, but it was only foreign guys I saw doing this, and to be more specific, they were east European.

Trust me, there's plenty of Irish folk at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Seen a couple of Fairly overweight female travellers that hang around city square shopping centre stealing bags. They walked out and emptied a purse in broad daylight and just left it on the wall outside.

Crazy thing is the two security guards just looked at them. Completely afraid of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

tc2010 wrote: »
    Seen a couple of Fairly overweight female travellers that hang around city square shopping centre stealing bags. They walked out and emptied a purse in broad daylight and just left it on the wall outside.

Crazy thing is the two security guards just looked at them. Completely afraid of them

Did you challenge the women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

dayshah wrote: »
    Did you challenge the women?

Obviously not otherwise i would have mentioned it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

there seems to be that bproblem in this city. fear of acusing travelers, or other minorities. if it was a little 12/13 year old you would see the security haul him up back inside. they would have the whole swagger and the lot with there batman utility belts that they have on.

i see it in a certin girls school, traveler and black kids getting away with bully tactics, principel afread to chalange or punish them while other children have to put up with being bullied.

maby all off topicbut i was on a roll

Advertisement