Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which martial art is right for me?

• 29-04-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

I'm mid thirties, retired from GAA last year. Several years experience of karate as a youngster but not as an adult. Looking for something closer to full contact, but without wanting to go training like a savage and challenge for titles, more so something to do once / twice a week. Hoping for something which will greatly improve fitness also. Although I'm not at a bad level (ran marathon last year) so I want something to push me cardio wise. Around the drogheda area. Any recommendations for what would suit and any clubs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a whole clatter of styles which would tick those boxes.

Have you any idea what attracts you, ie striking (boxing/kicking) or grappling/Wrestling (submissions/joint locks/chokes & strangles/throws).

Do you fancy something with a grading syllabbus (most tradition styles, but some are competition based, ie Judo where after green you must fight for and win your grade).

The usual (and good) bit of advice most people will give you is to visit clubs in your area and see which one clicks with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Thanks, I'd probably go for striking based styles to be honest.
    Had kickboxing in mind but my hesistation is that I'd be a beginner in my mid thirties. I wonder do many clubs have late starters or would I be far above the average age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

What's available in your area? What fits best with your schedule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

There's a new Kickboxing club opened in the Westgate Fitness Centre. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.sseskickboxing.com/index.html

thanks, might pop down to that club and have a look!

• Advertisement

I'm mid thirties, retired from GAA last year. Several years experience of karate as a youngster but not as an adult. Looking for s
    Had kickboxing in mind but my hesistation is that I'd be a beginner in my mid thirties. I wonder do many clubs have late starters or would I be far above the average age?

Your age won't be an issue, and for what its worth I've never come across a GAA player who wasn't fit, strong & tough or afraid to take a knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I appreciate that you'd like to give striking a go and if so the likes of full contact kickboxing or muay thai would be great.

Consider BJJ though as it can be trained at high intensity with relatively low impact. Conditioning wise it's hard to beat and can be an awful lot of fun!

columok wrote: »
    I appreciate that you'd like to give striking a go and if so the likes of full contact kickboxing or muay thai would be great.

Consider BJJ though as it can be trained at high intensity with relatively low impact. Conditioning wise it's hard to beat and can be an awful lot of fun!

Have a lot of admiration for BJJ but dont think there are any classes within my range (navan-drogheda).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

There was talk a few months ago about an MMA gym in Navan. Here's the thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61746935

Haven't heard anything about it since. MMA is GREAT! for fitness as it covers both striking and wrestling/grappling.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

How far are you willing to go? there's a club in dundalk if you don't think its too far for you?It has classes ranging from mma, bjj, mua-thai, hapkido, kick boxing, jeet-kune do and i think even some tai-chi. So it more or less covers everything. I'm don't want to be seen to promote the school as i hate to see people do that (eg kravmaga, and Mr cumiskey etc:rolleyes:), so do your own homework on it.Just give "MAS-F Dundalk" a google, they have their timetable online too.

• Advertisement

Cheers but Dundalk is out of my range unfortunately. Gonna give the kickboxing club in drogheda a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tatty_bear

Well, kung fu is defo the best martial arts form when it coes to developing the skill to fight in close range <mod edit>in my opinion<mod edit>, using body mechanics to do the most of the work. Wing chun or as some call it Chinese boxing is intensive, dealdly and very effective. Bruce Lee was the first person who introduced this martial arts form to the Western world. There are no belts ,but there are scrolls and there are no specific competitions held in this fighting style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Chinese boxing .....there are no specific competitions held in this fighting style.

:confused: sanshou???

anything in the drogheda area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I'd rec. Jiu Jitsu.

If you are looking for something more relaxed and easy going, you can always try Judo.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JacksDad

I'm mid thirties, retired from GAA last year. Several years experience of karate as a youngster but not as an adult. Looking for something closer to full contact, but without wanting to go training like a savage and challenge for titles, more so something to do once / twice a week. Hoping for something which will greatly improve fitness also. Although I'm not at a bad level (ran marathon last year) so I want something to push me cardio wise. Around the drogheda area. Any recommendations for what would suit and any clubs?

Hi hisholinessnb,

I'm a member of Boyne Valley Martial Arts in Navan (with a club in Drogheda too, see here for full details) This club teaches the art of Lau Gar Kung Fu as well as Kickboxing.

I'm doing it myself since February '09 and like you in need of a regular cardio fix, and find that this club more than ticks the boxes training on a Tuesday and a Thursday. I think it may be right up your street to meet your fitness demands as well enjoying the art of Lau Gar itself.

If you need any further info give me shout or pop down on Thursday for 8pm and give it a go yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭JacksDad

Just seen this too from you hisholinessnb and the simple answer to your question is your never a late starter! I'm in my thirties myself and I've trained with older students at our club at beginner level.

Samba wrote: »
    I'd rec. Jiu Jitsu.

If you are looking for something more relaxed and easy going, you can always try Judo.

lol.

lol.

edit

Oh wait, I get it now, I've insulted Judo :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting for one moment, that Judo is as intense as Jiu Jitsu?

Because I have one very big lol awaiting your response if that's the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Are you suggesting for one moment, that Judo is as intense as Jiu Jitsu?
    I don't think anyone would suggest judo is as intense as Jiu Jitsu.

Judo is more intense than Jiujitsu.

• Advertisement

Well if theres no Jiu Jitsu or Judo in Drogheda then I aint joining either, so get off my thread

Well if theres no Jiu Jitsu or Judo in Drogheda then I aint joining either, so get off my thread

There are clubs around that area alright, from my experience, I've trained in both for a total of 7 years, 3 doing Judo and 4 in Jiu Jitsu, personally I found the Jiu Jitsu to be much harder going and far more intense.

Last I remember, there's a club in Ashbourne, but I'm out of touch now, as i've been sidelined from martial arts due to a serious back injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Yea, what's up with those laid back Judo lads, lazily lifting and slamming each other every few seconds?:D

Yea, what's up with those laid back Judo lads, lazily lifting and slamming each other every few seconds?:D

Tell me about it, they can't even last longer than 20 seconds on the ground :D

I'm out of touch now, as i've been sidelined from martial arts due to a serious back injury.

Well don't go getting the hump with us here about it!... :pac:

Advertisement