Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Courses

Options
  • 29-04-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey ,

Im in fourth year now going into 5th

and im heading towards going for a gaming course like BCFE has a 1 year plc in just gaming

and DIT 4th year in CS , u can specialize in gaming

Can any one tell me courses or colleges or anything i can do on gamin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Dundalk do a gaming course, mate of mine is doing it. Said there is a lot of maths !

http://ww2.dkit.ie/schools_and_departments/imcm/computing_mathematics/courses/dk820

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

There's going to be a lot of maths in anything do do with building computer games. The PLC courses sound fairly bad to be honest. I wouldn't do a games course unless you were competent at programming, unless it's more focused on stuff like using level editors and building assets instead of game engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

You should look at Games development studio and xna, which are both free.

Maynooth do a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I know one or two people who work in major game development studios (not in Ireland) and both would attest to the fact that people with "gaming" degrees are usually rubbish and not worth the pay. Find an area in gaming you like. So, if you're interested in programming, get a computer science course. If you like graphics, do a digital arts/media course.

Keep in mind, a more generalised course is also more likely to get you a job. Focusing on one specific job in one specific field narrows you down and makes it difficult to hire you elsewhere if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mickmurphy

hmmmmm

What would be the kinda job like ... ermm

Ideas , You have a main idea man like.... you design a game say u have 100's of people . and then u have teams

Graphics , Gameplay , sound , ect ect

But then u have the team that come up with everything and give everything the go through

Like the Two major jobs i wanna do would be game play or The ideas group if u get me

• Advertisement

mickmurphy wrote: »
    hmmmmm

What would be the kinda job like ... ermm

Ideas , You have a main idea man like.... you design a game say u have 100's of people . and then u have teams

Graphics , Gameplay , sound , ect ect

But then u have the team that come up with everything and give everything the go through

Like the Two major jobs i wanna do would be game play or The ideas group if u get me
    Being an ideas man is great if you want to start your own company, but generally game studios will hire seasoned game designers to come up with their game play mechanics.

But if you're more interested in the design aspect of computer games you should consider looking more towards the software engineering side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I think DIT are now offering a masters course in computer games design, through the faculty of applied arts... I think. I remember looking at something along those lines and then realising I had nowhere near enough programming skills.

I'd suggest you do as people are advising and go for comp science etc. and then do some sort of specialized masters.

If you've no interest in programming then I don't know what route to take, I can't think of any course that teaches you how to come up with good ideas.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I think DIT are now offering a masters course in computer games design, through the faculty of applied arts... I think. I remember looking at something along those lines and then realising I had nowhere near enough programming skills.

I'd suggest you do as people are advising and go for comp science etc. and then do some sort of specialized masters.

If you've no interest in programming then I don't know what route to take, I can't think of any course that teaches you how to come up with good ideas.
    It's a masters in digital media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Sheeps wrote: »
    It's a masters in digital media.

Nah, was actually a master in digital games...

http://schoolofmedia.dit.ie/diggam_01.html

Advertisement