Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never quit

Options
  • 29-04-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I would give this a try at least. :) I have always been active and have been running on and off for the past year or so. I run 5k events and do it mostly for fun and to encourage others to do it also. My times are below.

My first competitive race, I done this with a friend.

November 21st 2009. Run for the Library 5k: 36:32.8 (11:47/M)
    February 6th. Charleston Mid-Winter Classic 5k: 30:11.5 (9:43/M)
    March 13th. Earth, Wind and Fire 5k: 28:36.9 (9:14/M)

I have been running about 3 miles every second day with yoga and strength training in between those days, no trouble running and feel great after it.

Next up is the biggest race of the year with over 13,000 runners registered in total over all distances, marathon, half marathon, relay, 5k, youth run. I will be up bright and early for this one on Saturday morning. I will be happy with anything under 28. Thanks in advance for the support.

sorry, I am based in central Illinois. :) More info on the races can be found at the link here http://www.secondwindrunningclub.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Before (like me) everyone goes scrambling, to find out where the hell these races are taking place, it would seem to be Illinois.
    Welcome to the training logs and best of luck with the 5k. What's this one called?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thanks, added info. This one is the Illinois Marathon, website is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Best of luck with it! Seems your making steady improvements in your races, i hope i can do the same!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Ruu. Similar pace to myself at the minute.

New personal best! My time was 24.23 (7.51/M), placed 177th out of..3000+. Delighted, it was very sticky and humid too but I got through it. :)

• Advertisement

Going to go up north for a 5k in August to Madison, WI. The Madison Mini-Marathon & 5k. I'll probably look on the calendar and do one on 4th of July weekend as well. Started running again today, done 3 miles easy this morning. Still on a high after the weekend to be honest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Nice to see another north America based runner join in - we're slowly growing in numbers here ! Nice 5k time - well done on the pb.

Quick update, usual training hasn't stopped. I went into my local Body n Sole shop and got a pair of Asics GT 2150's so will have to break them in for a few days before opening up again. :) There is a small community fair in the beginning of July, going to take part in the 5k and then August 21st is Madision, WI. Keep up the great work everyone.

I eased up on training for since my last race, I continued strength and yoga but ran 3-4 miles every second or third day. Ran in a small town fair this morning, it was very sunny. Around 28C and I managed to scrape a few more seconds off my PR. Done it in 23.52. :) Next up 5k in Madison, WI.

Also I signed up for next years 2011 Illinois Marathon already. I will be doing the 5k on Friday evening and the half on Saturday morning, it'll be huge!

I had a run this weekend in Madison, WI (4 hour drive from central IL) and was running with a head cold that really brought me down. It was rather sticky which was unusual enough since I was running a long Lake Mendota. I had to ease up a little, listen to my body and finished with a time of 26.19.

This was my fifth 5k this year, one coming up in September and will find some to finish out the year also. Start up training again shortly.

• Advertisement

Here are my results so far, I can do better. I know I can!

November 21st 2009. Run for the Library 5k: 36:32.8 (11:47/M)
    February 6th. Charleston Mid-Winter Classic 5k: 30:11.5 (9:43/M)
    March 13th. Earth, Wind and Fire 5k: 28:36.9 (9:14/M)
    May 1st. Illinois Marathon 5k: 24.23 (7.51/M)
    July 10th. Fisher Fair 5k: 23:51.8 (7:42/M)
    August 21st. Madison Mini-Marathon & 5k: 26:19 (had a head cold!)
    September 18th. Delphi Diamond Dash 5k: 24.23
    October 31st. Allerton Park Trail Run 5.5 miles:

I have 2 more 5k runs this year, one in November and one for charity at the beginning of December!
    Lately I have been doing some Fartlek, 15 min warm up, 2x8 sprints with 1 min recovery and then 10 min cooldown. It feels really good, have been doing that 4 times a week and intend to increase that after the 5.5 mile run next week. I cross train every day for about an hour and a half. I am well and truly immersed in this sport and the turning point was when someone at my work told me that I was an inspiration. :) It is true that I probably drive some people at my work insane with my advice and talk but I want others to feel how great I feel when I run!

My goals for next year are to do as many runs as possible, I have a 5k and half marathon back to back in April 29/30th. My calendar is made out for the rest of next year. I am thinking of doing my first marathon as well, see how the half goes. :)

Had my first ever trail run this morning. It was a lovely morning for it, the place was littered with leaves, ground fairly hard and dry. It was a 5.5 mile run with plenty of ups and downs. I finished in 50.29 (9.21/M). I was happy enough with that. Two more runs this year, a very flat 5k coming up next Sunday and finishing up in December. Great year. :)

It was a chilly -6C (colder with wind chill) yesterday morning for another small town 5k race but I produced my best time of the year. I clocked in at 21.55! :)

I have just one more race to go, an 8K cross country race just north of where i live in central Illinois on December 11th. That will make 10 events this year. Delighted.

Done my 10th and final race this year. It was an 8k cross country event. I really enjoyed the steeple chase barriers, it was something different. It was just below freezing and light rain. I finished second in my age group with a time of 44.04.09 (8.53/m). Delighted! I will take a few days off as I have had little rest for a number of months now and then get back to training. :)

I got my first 15k out of the way this year. I ran it fairly easy as I am building for a half marathon in April. It was certainly not flat, quite hilly. I felt very strong throughout the whole race. My splits at the 5k turnaround were 26.30, 54.30 and 1 hr 20 mins. Feel good, don't update the log very often but update my 1000 mile challenge frequently. Next up is an 8 mile run a few miles south of home, another 10k 2 weeks later and after that is a 5k on a Friday night with a half marathon the next morning.

Had an 8 mile race this weekend, finished in 62 minutes. I was happy with the pace, it was quite windy and the course had some rolling hills but nothing difficult. Another 10k in 2 weeks before a final 5k before the half marathon, 26 days! :)

Had a 10k race a few hours ago, finished 8th overall (out of 44 runners). My time was 48.22 (7.48/mile). 5k/half marathon weekend is 2 weeks away. Very eager!

Yesterday was my 20th race event, a small town 5k in Bement, IL. Weather was a cool 75F and course was flat and fast. The winner came in around 17.02 and I placed top of my age group with a time of 22.3x. Although my focus has been long distance running this year, I hope to get my 5k time down (current PB is 21.55) by the end of the year. Next up is a 10k race, should be another flat and fast course and I am hoping temperatures remain cool.

I switched my workout routine last week and have been using some muscles previously underused so a bit stiff this morning for a 10k in Effingham, IL. The race is known for chip timing but the timing company did not show up! We had to rely on the old lolly pop stick method or in this case..plastic fork and spoon. I felt ok, it was a nice 24C and a cool breeze. Regardless, I ran the race in 48.09, so 13 seconds better than my previous. I felt I could have done better. Have a 10k the end of July, half marathon in August, full in October and a few more races to finish out the year.

Struggling a little with training right now but only because of the central Illinois heat. The past few weeks has been uncomfortable to say the least. Temps are currently at around 31C with 70% humidity and it is around 11:26AM.
    I normally get up early to get through a run but have to get up even earlier to avoid the sun and get back in time before I burn!

Local running shop was having a clearance, picked up a pair of Brooks GTS 7's for $29. :)

• Advertisement

The last few weeks has been terrible weather wise. It is just not safe to be out for any more than 30 minutes. I have indeed squeezed in some long runs but it is very difficult to be consistent. It is 9:40am and already feels like 39C with humidity at 70%. I have been running as early as 4am but there is still no reprieve from the horrible humidity so have been mostly short runs, taking it nice an easy from 6-9 miles and working on my core. Have a 10k this weekend, hope to knock some time off my previous best. Race starts at 7am and I hope we get some rain or something to cool us down.

Took yesterday off because of the dangerous heat but was going mental being inside, went out this morning at around 8:50am. Temperatures already at around 40C and knocked out about 5k in about 9 mins/per mile.
    Going to be no PR for the 10k this weekend, just get it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Good luck in the 10k :)... that heat doesn't sound pleasant for running!

Thanks! Not fun at all, there is just no relief from it, overnight lows are still around 25-30C and couple that with humidity as well. Sweat just sticks to you and doesn't evaporate. Going to take it handy at the weekend and just enjoy. :)

Still very warm this morning at 7am for the Run for the Bagel! I ran the 10k fairly easily in around 48.10, paced myself well to take the humidity and heat into account. Again, there was timing issues. We used chip timing this time. Some people switched races before the start and it apparently messed up all the times. This was halfway through the awards! People who picked up trophies had to hand them back and race organisers will email/post results later in the day. Nothing more frustrating. :(

Weather still brutal, so hot! I think I am getting used to it. I come home drenched but am making sure to hydrate a lot and then throughout the day. My training normally goes in blocks of 8 days or so and the rest if I have to. I throw in a fartlek session every once in a while too.

Half marathon coming up in a little over 2 weeks, no concerns as I do more than that distance once or sometimes twice a week. Feeling confident I can shave a minute or two off my previous half time of 1.47.41. Conditions a little different in Madison, WI. Looking at races next year, less 5ks and more long distance and trail runs.

Well temperatures have been much better since I last posted. At least 10 degrees cooler so that meant upping my weekly mileage. :) I have a half marathon this weekend in lovely Madison, WI. I hope to be in and done in around the 1:45:00 mark and I'll be happy with that.

Had the Madison Half Marathon today. Storms rolled in and we had lightning and rain, lightning passed but it delayed the start by an hour and a half. Despite the rain lashing down until around 10k mark. I knocked over 5 minutes off my previous half time. I came in at 1.42.31, summary is below. I was delighted, course had some rolling hills but mostly flat. Great support.

5 mile (38.39)
    10 mile (1.16.40)
    final 5k (25.51) (slacked a fair bit I know. :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Catching up on your log, Ruu. Some great progress there, and excellent to have another north american boardsie on board!

• Advertisement

A little over 4 weeks away from the Indianapolis marathon and I am feeling good. I have only taken one day off this month. Getting the long runs in and no problems lucky enough. Going to knock out one more long run soon and then see where I am going. It is "flu season" so have to be careful since I work with all sorts, that is my only worry!

Temperatures have dropped by a large amount. Most mornings are around 5-10C, not a problem but it changed rather quickly and didn't give us much notice. Next week is meant to be warmer again.

Advertisement