Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never quit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I'm loving the drop in temperatures- there's a real feel that marathon season is upon us, and the hard work over the hot summer begins to pay dividends.

Best of luck with your four week countdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Absolutely, will get more miles in the autumn/winter than any other time. :) Lining up the races for the end of the year as well, 5.5 mile trail run on October 30th, 5k race in the beginning of November, and 8k trail run (with steeple chaser barriers) in December and then continue on into 2012.

Along with the cooler weather comes much stronger winds, so I am prepared to get tossed about quite often over the next few days. I have my final 20 miler this weekend and then not be stupid for the next two weeks after before the Indianapolis Marathon.

Well the hard work is done. I am becoming an amateur weatherman at the moment, keeping track of the weather for the morning of the 15th for the Indianapolis Marathon. :) Just staying loose this week with some low miles. Targeting 3:30:00 or better. I'll be happy enough with that.

well just back from the marathon race. was very chilly morning and winds around 15-20mph. nice and sunny though. this was my first marathon. my splits weren't awful (see below) and i was more mentally exhausted and that hit me at mile 20 and I started to struggle. Also ran out of fuel earlier than expected so took it easy for the last few miles to drink. Finished up well below what I would have liked at 4:00:35. Overall I am happy enough, I shouldn't expect a huge amount from my first marathon. Going to eat everything in the hotel room now! :)

5 mile: 40.59 (8.12)
    Half split: 1.49.31 (8:22)
    19 mile split: 2.44.15 (8.39)

net time: 4:00:35

• Advertisement

Relaxed yesterday and was shuffling around the hotel and nearby area to stay loose. Did not sleep a whole lot (people roaring in the hallways of my hotel at 1am, this is the same in every hotel! ignorant bastids.) :/ but got up early for breakfast and then the drive home.

I think I will update my blog later and it will give me time to reflect on it like the other 'training your mind' thread. I am sad that I have to retire my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8's. I do have a $20 certificate to get some new shoes though which is nice. I will probably buy another pair of Brooks, they have the newer GTS 11's but I am always scared of something new. Maybe I'll look on eBay for a pair of GTS 10's in my size, hard to find though but I liked the shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Well done on the marathon. First one is always a learning experience no matter what we tell ourselves ! The miles from 20 onwards are now familar territory !

Thanks! I splashed out on some new runners this morning. Have a pair of Brooks GTS 11's and Mizuno Inspire 7s on the way. :)

Back on the road yesterday since Saturday for an easy 3 miles and this morning a little over 6 miles. Breaking in the shiny new pair of Brooks GTS 11's. Temperatures are just about freezing point when I head out, I am happy the winds calmed down though. It isn't going to get much better at this stage in the year. :)

I have been keeping low mileage since the marathon on the 15th of October, ~30-35 miles. I had a 5.7 mile trail run this morning. I finished quite comfortably in 45.33 (last year was 50.29!). I am delighted with my progress from mainly 5ks in 2010 to longer distances this year.

I noticed a young man struggling a bit with 1/2 a mile to go. I passed him and gave him some encouragement. He asked how long was left and I invited him along to finish strong with me.

Course video is below if anyone is interested! :) Two more races left this year to finish it out. 5k next weekend, going to try and topple 21.55, we'll see.

http://vimeo.com/30528015

• Advertisement

Well no PB today at a 5k road/partial trail race this morning. My watch said closer to 22.00 but my time was 22.24 I believe, got stuck behind some slower runners at the start. It was a nice sunny day though, winds coming from the south at 20-30mph. If I want to attempt a 5k PB, then I'll go for chip timing in the future I suppose. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Funny to look back at this now. :) Have done 2 50ks, 12hr ultra event and did a 3.38 marathon last year among the 24 races from 5k to 50k. Have my first 50 mile trail event on April 6th followed by a marathon on April 27th *gulp*. Doing DCM as well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Funny to look back at this now. :) Have done 2 50ks, 12hr ultra event and did a 3.38 marathon last year among the 24 races from 5k to 50k. Have my first 50 mile trail event on April 6th followed by a marathon on April 27th *gulp*. Doing DCM as well this year.

Holy Sh!t :eek::eek::eek: well done. Is that why you've changed your name from Ruu to Ruubot???

Hah, thanks. Closed the Ruu account a year or two ago but couldn't resist, had to come back. :) Feel like a robot with all the training, looking forward to taking a wee break when May comes around.

OK more or less game on. 50 mile trail run next Saturday. The 100, 150 starts the Friday so should be plenty of bodies around when I start. Just hoping to finish well and keep my food down, keep my form from dropping. Weather improving at last, should be around a high of 15 or so celcius, perfect.

Race started at 6am, the course ran fast. It was in good shape despite the 150 milers starting on the Friday. I have to get my splits but I was at 6:31:xx after 30 miles. I finished around 11:39:xx and was delighted with my first 50 miler. The elevation gain was around 1600 ft per 10 mile loop. A couple of creek crossings and most of the hills were in the first 6 miles or so. Got my first belt buckle for finishing. :)

Got my splits from the race, delighted. Feel half sorry that I didn't try for the 100! :) There is next year.

Loop1: 2:06:57
    Loop2: 2:01:53
    Loop3: 2:22:41
    Loop4: 2:40:02
    Loop5: 2:28:48

A handy 4 miles this morning in the torrential rain. Legs felt good and strong. I am working out my schedule for the rest of the year, opinions or comments more than welcome.

April 27 road marathon
    May 11th half marathon
    August 17th half marathon
    September 15th trail 50k
    September 28th half marathon (not sure if worthwhile)
    October 13th trail 30 mile (maybe 50 mile??) course runs quite fast.
    October 28th. DCM
    November 9th 30 mile trail.

Have been taking it nice any ready this week, a few 10-15 milers on trail and some road work. Have had storms in the Midwest so have had to run between the drops. Illinois marathon coming up on on April 27th, will be happy to finish around the 3:35 mark then get ready for ultra s in the Autumn.

• Advertisement

Woohoo, finished the Illinois marathon in 3:37:31. Weather was perfect, faded a little in the last few miles but a PR nonetheless. Sub 3:30 for DCM? :) Time to retire the NB Minimus i think. Splits below.

10k: 50.43
    1/2 marathon:1:46:53
    20 mile: 2:43:27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Woohoo, finished the Illinois marathon in 3:37:31. Weather was perfect, faded a little in the last few miles but a PR nonetheless. Sub 3:30 for DCM? :) Time to retire the NB Minimus i think.
    No bother to you :D Well done today :D

Low miles this month, about 60 in total. I did PR in a local half marathon today. Came in about 1:40:xx. Felt great in the Vibrams. Course was rolling hills.

Have not raced since May but that was intentional, need to gave the missus a break and go on non running weekends off. :) I checked my running log and am delighted with my progress. Started running in 2009 with one 5k. 2010 logged 348 miles, 2011 logged 1878, 2012 logged 1954 and as of this morning have 1009. I have a half in August, 32 mile trail run in September, 50k trail run 2 weeks before DCM.

boom. had a half in Madison this morning and managed a new PR of 1:38:28, delighted as not feeling well over the past few weeks. under pressure at work and other things.

splits below:

5 mile: 38.19 (7:40)
    10 mile: 1:15:51 (7:36)
    last 5k: 22:38 (7:18)
    net time: 1:38:28

New shoes!

7biE3M.jpg

Finished a 32 mile trail run in northern Illinois on Sunday. Finished in 6:08 (6:25 last year when the course was 31 miles), didn't eat much at all at halfway point (a few mini size snickers!) and think that was my downfall. Weather was lovely at around 15C and rained a bit at the end to soften up the hard trail. It was a mix of hills, plenty of flat runnable sections and open meadow trail. Next up, 30 miler on October 12th and then DCM. Would like to get a bit of speed work in. Feeling pretty good.

Another 30 mile trail run yesterday. Bashed my big toe but think I'll be ok. Legs feel pretty good this morning aside from the toe, will ice it a few times today to be sure and get a few more road runs in before heading home shortly!

Not much going on since DCM. I got a Garmin Forerunner 205 to help track the miles for $50 on eBay. Mornings getting frosty, roads covered in leaves, love it. Looking towards 2014 and thinking what races to do. Have my first 100 mile in April and a 5k with half mara end of April. Not sure after that, will be back for DCM 2014

• Advertisement
Advertisement