Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Victory salute at today's Tour of Romandy (contains spoiler)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Interview he says it's comments from people who know "jack ****" about cycling including journalists. I reckon some of that was reserved for Greipl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

was about emotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

me@ucd wrote: »
    was about emotion.

was about being a knob if you ask me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

He was just answering a question?

Interviewer: How many races have you won this year so far?

Drug dealers brother: Count them ....

000_par3206406_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Sums him up.

He's supposed to be a role model and hero and he pulls that shít...

He's a disgrace to the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Great sprinter - but he has issues.

To be honest he has great talent, his management have alot to answer for, he has had minor gaffs before - could they not take him aside and explain to him the big corporate world of sports sponsorship etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no such thing as bad publicity !

bet more people are talking about him than if he hadnt

:)

god you would think he'd taken drugs or something

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The two fingered salute doesn't mean anything in most countries.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

There was a good interview with him in the Guardian a few weeks back

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/14/mark-cavendish-tour-de-france

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

What a knob. I wasnt sure till today but he left no room for doubt now. It wasnt even a good finish to it more to do with everyone else making a crap of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

churchill.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Closer to home:

21a40d4b0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think people slightly over reacting here.

In any contest or sporting event, when one scores/wins etc you need to appreciate the heart rate, emotion and adrenaline rush at that point in time.
    One is simply incapable of thinking rationally.

Sure the guy is a dick. But he is 24 yearsof age and at the point if crossing the line is overcome with sheer emotion.

Get over yourselves people. Disgrace to the sport me arse. He is one of the few successful athletes in the sport who is not a doper.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I think people slightly over reacting here.

In any contest or sporting event, when one scores/wins etc you need to appreciate the heart rate, emotion and adrenaline rush at that point in time.
    One is simply incapable of thinking rationally.

Sure the guy is a dick. But he is 24 yearsof age and at the point if crossing the line is overcome with sheer emotion.

Get over yourselves people. Disgrace to the sport me arse. He is one of the few successful athletes in the sport who is not a doper.

That's rubbish - decorum and respect should be utmost during any victory celebration, as per:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYETbilD2k4

I did want to make a statement to my critics, but I realise that making a rude gestures on the finish line is not the best way to do that,” Cavendish said in a statement issued Friday afternoon

rofl

112455.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

charlie_haughey+fingers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Maybe bought himself some brownie points with HTC with this gesture last year:

Mark-Cavendish-001.jpg

Or maybe maybe the recent gesture was advertising a dual band phone or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

His team have just pulled him from the race.

http://twitter.com/Procycling_mag/status/13143365887

I like the guy but that was childish and stupid. Hope he can get a head on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Wow. I didn't expect that. Nice to see a team trying to uphold some standards though. Cav is a strange fish. He seems to be unbelievably intense and difficult. I'd say it's tough being a domestique on his team. I reckon his friends and loved ones will need some serious patience if he doesn't win the green jersey this year.

Those on the cyclingnews.com forum are saying its a cynical move as there are 2 mountain stages left:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

"I want to publicly apologize for the gesture I made on the finish line of the Tour de Romandie yesterday. I did want to make a statement to my critics but I realize that making a rude gesture on the finish line is not the best way to do that,” he said.

“I apologize to everybody watching the race and especially the kids. I am not proud of releasing the feelings in that way. I hope I can redeem myself and show my feelings and passion for cycling with some exciting results in the next couple of months rather than with gestures such as the one yesterday.”
    Velonation

Fair enough. Lesson learned. On with the racing.

Those on the cyclingnews.com forum are saying its a cynical move as there are 2 mountain stages left:rolleyes:

that thought crossed my mind cav - stage win - job done
    wouldnt suprise me at all

Advertisement