Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is better to take: Imagine wimax or Digiweb?

• 29-04-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I am living in drogheda and I am planing to take wimax or digi web broadband. Wich one of this two is better to take? What are your expiriences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

I have the Digiweb Metro wireless package for over twelve months now since moving to Meath. Our site provides clear LOS to the mast at Navan about 6Km away.

BB is v good always-can't recall the last time it was down:) Here are my test results for today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/838386022.png
    http://www.pingtest.net/result/18287404.png

Once I exceeded the monthly cap of 30g (teenage niece came over with laptop and d/L'd like crazy) and they throttled me back to 128k u/d which was mildly annoying but not a big deal for a week.

Phone is mostly OK-sometimes we get a dropout/muting on our end for 3-4 secs on a longish call and then it always return OK-it can be annoying when talking to some one on a mobile who assumes the call is dropped at their end when the hear nothing from our side.

Actually I was thinking of switching to Imagine as well but am not sure if I will or not- given that my current service from Digiweb is good enough

Mr Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no comparison.

Metro is stable,
    Imagine's Nomadic/Fixed system using Mobile Wimax is unsuitable for the frequencies they have. Imagine's WiMax has this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055709982

I have Metro since Nov 2005.
    I'd only change to UPC cable or Magnet fibre, and only if they were a lot cheaper and actually available. They are not either of these.

You'll get better results testing with Galway.

838474047.png18292075.png
    Conecting to Woodcock Hill (12.5km)
    Home made Router using OpenWrt Kamakaze connected to Digiweb's Modem.
    All on UPS.
    Two sets of DECT phones and Fax (which works).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

bondja80 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am living in drogheda and I am planing to take wimax or digi web broadband. Wich one of this two is better to take? What are your expiriences?

wimax is not great in the town few people had it and had 2 get rid of it because it was no good at all but where i am cant even get wimax signal anyways !!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Digiweb's Metro system is basically cable modem service, just without the cable.

They use standard cable modems over a microwave link instead of a coaxial cable. The end result is rock solid broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Clarkey1904

Solair wrote: »
    Digiweb's Metro system is basically cable modem service, just without the cable.

They use standard cable modems over a microwave link instead of a coaxial cable. The end result is rock solid broadband.

So is it just plug in and go? (I have no phone line)
    Anybody know if Metro Home is any good for Xbox live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They install an outdoor Radio set and connected via coax an indoor Modem. The indoor Modem has ethernet for ONE pc without router (not recommended) and two phone sockets (2nd number is optional extra). The phone socket is for a phone, not a phone line. They may supply a DECT handset. They used to.

You need to add your own ethernet Router/Wifi (i.e. a router with NO builtin DSL modem, 5th ethernet port for Modem, no phone port).

Should be fine for xbox Live.

Apart from outdoor Radio Set it's like getting UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Clarkey1904

watty wrote: »
    They install an outdoor Radio set and connected via coax an indoor Modem. The indoor Modem has ethernet for ONE pc without router (not recommended) and two phone sockets (2nd number is optional extra). The phone socket is for a phone, not a phone line. They may supply a DECT handset. They used to.

You need to add your own ethernet Router/Wifi (i.e. a router with NO builtin DSL modem, 5th ethernet port for Modem, no phone port).

Should be fine for xbox Live.

Apart from outdoor Radio Set it's like getting UPC.

Thanks Watty,
    Looks like its not an option for me then, (We are not allowed erect anything on the outside :mad::() Clearwire seems like the only option for me but the best they can give is 2mb so i guess ill need to deal with lag or else move home, i will NOT got with Sky Conway, buch of cowboys! Its scandle...

Advertisement