Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Students: failed continuous assessments and compensation query?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Has anybody had any experience in failing a continuous assessment, eg essay, presentation, in class test etc?

Just realised today that I completely screwed up an essay and won't get a pass mark for it. This essay was worth 50% and the exam is also worth 50%. Presuming then that i won't 40% out of 50% in the exam i will have failed the module. 25-30% is realistic

How exactly do compensations work then? For arguments sake if pass every other module I have (11 in total), and pass them with high marks, will it be possible to avoid having to resubmit work in august?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Hi there! Here is a link to the marks and standards...

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/registrar/marksandstandards/2010CACSSS.pdf

I think, that according to this (I just read the joint honours section as that is what I am doing) you need to get 30 percent in the subject you wish to have compensated. Once you get this 30 percent you only need to have a pass mark in the other modules, i.e. if you get an average of 60 percent in your other classes and like 31 percent in the other module you will qualify for compensation. Now I know that this applies to joint honours but not sure if it applies to other programmes or if it differs between different subjects.

My advice, study like hell for that class and you should qualify for a compensation.

I really hope this helps you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mr.mojorising

Well I just had a look at the link and ya, what you said sounds right. In joint honours subjects, you do 30 credits and it says you only need to get 25 to progress into 3r year as long as you don't get less than 30% in the remaiming module. I'm back in with a shout of having my summer to myself again!

Thanks for the help...

Advertisement