Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I delete my boards account?

Options
  • 29-04-2010 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

The Admins don't have to aware of the fact at all, which is pretty easy to ensure if a poster is serious about wanting a new start. Simply changing one's username and continuing to post in the exact same manner, or worse, talking to one self, will tend to bring attention upon oneself.

Multiple accounts are not encouraged.
    Again Recklessstone, its not that simple. Admins have to clear any new accounts. You were probably aware that they also had the boards attack to deal with so it doesnt just happen overnight.
    I lost my password and only accidentally found the email address it was attached to. Was on to admins for weeks about it. Again they had a lot to deal with. Dont claim to be privy to everything that goes on.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sots with all due respect, you haven't a clue. Not a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Again Recklessstone, its not that simple. Admins have to clear any new accounts. You were probably aware that they also had the boards attack to deal with so it doesnt just happen overnight.
    I lost my password and only accidentally found the email address it was attached to. Was on to admins for weeks about it. Again they had a lot to deal with. Dont claim to be privy to everything that goes on.

Do you think Admins check every new account to see if it is a duplicate?

The only reason they are checked is if the person starts acting the muppet with the second account.

You had three that were only banned when you used two of them to circumvent a ban.

also, sots, has to be said, if you are a troll - you're the best I've seen in my time on this site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 recklesstone

Hi bvc, look what I managed to do!

edit: apologies to Admins for signing up another account, but seemed to be the only way to make my point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Des wrote: »
    No. They. Don't.

I have no idea why you think that, but they don't.

This is my second account, for instance. I had an old account many years ago that I forgot the password to, it has about ten posts, but one day I opened Boards and wanted to post, tried to sign in with my old account, couldn't, so just started a new one.
    If you don't mind Des Ill let the admins take care of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hi bvc, look what I managed to do!

fúcking quality.

If you don't mind Des Ill let the admins take care of this one.

What?

Take care of what?

They already know, in fact, I once asked an Admin if he's merge the two accounts.

tbh wrote: »
    also, sots, has to be said, if you are a troll - you're the best I've seen in my time on this site
    No TBH i'm not a troll. Just not as clever as some posters who do a better job of actually doing it without being caught.

If you're not a troll, and not that clever, I think you'll enjoy boards a lot more if you dial down the arrogance about 75%

Next time you feel the urge to tell us how it is, remember that when you've done so in the past you've almost always been spectacularly wrong, with hilarious results. I doubt theres a poster left who takes you seriously tbh

teebs, seriously, step away from this one, don't put anymore time into it.

It will consume you.

• Advertisement

Lol - like i say, if he was a troll, then job done

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

teebs, seriously, step away from this one, don't put anymore time into it.

It will consume you.

good advice, dearest remember what happened last friday night:cool:

trust me teebs, it wasnt pretty :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

If he's trollin', tip of the cap because he would turn out to be the most genius troll in the history of the troll. Unfortunately, I don't think he's trolling, just wasting everybodies time and making himself, again, look like an eejit.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Admins do not and have never pre-moderated new sign ups... theres far too many of them (about 400 a day or more) so no, we dont.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I resent that comment, only because I thought I was the apple of your eye :(

DeVore wrote: »
    Admins do not and have never pre-moderated new sign ups... theres far too many of them (about 400 a day or more) so no, we dont.

DeV.

Unfortunately, your world view doesn't match up with sots', so I fear you may have just wasted the thirty or so seconds it took you to make that post.

He will simply ignore it, pass it by as if it doesn't exist.

And then next week he'll post again, saying that people need Admin clearance to open a new account.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Unfortunately, your world view doesn't match up with sots', so I fear you may have just wasted the thirty or so seconds it took you to make that post.

He will simply ignore it, pass it by as if it doesn't exist.

And then next week he'll post again, saying that people need Admin clearance to open a new account.

okay, desmond, walk away now, please

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm not responding to him, I'm clarifying the state of play to everyone, publically. He can say what he likes now, but this is the horse, this came from my mouth and I'm damned if I'm going to think of a more fitting metaphor. :)

DeV.

You don't have to agree with Sots or even keep him off your ignore list (Hint for some.) But we can certainly do without all the Ad Hominem BS in here.

I disagree with SOTS but this is sad and childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Don't get sidetracked by the original question or anything =p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Without a shadow of a doubt. The most dedicated troll I have ever encountered an an internet forum.

Overheal wrote: »
    You don't have to agree with Sots or even keep him off your ignore list (Hint for some.) But we can certainly do without all the Ad Hominem BS in here.

I disagree with SOTS but this is sad and childish.
    Sorry if i can clear this up. I had problems merging two of my accounts because at the time boards was dealing with the after effect of the hackers attack on boards.
    What happend on the other side is the minute I came to admin about clearing an account (on advice from two mods) I was sitebanned without even as much as a warning.
    So again with regard to new accounts being set up. They have to be cleared and I had understood that to be the case when i contacted someone in admins. And trust me I was going back and forth with admin on this for at least two weeks.
    So Please stop coming out about stuff being sad and childish.

Actually the sad and childish was referring to posters calling you a troll... so im no longer sure in which context you are reading this thread.

Sorry if i can clear this up. I had problems merging two of my accounts because at the time boards was dealing with the after effect of the hackers attack on boards.
    What happend on the other side is the minute I came to admin about clearing an account (on advice from two mods) I was sitebanned without even as much as a warning.
    So again with regard to new accounts being set up. They have to be cleared and I had understood that to be the case when i contacted someone in admins. And trust me I was going back and forth with admin on this for at least two weeks.
    So Please stop coming out about stuff being sad and childish.
    Did you read my post?

Scroll up and read it and come back and either accept you are wrong or call me a liar directly.

Go on...

DeV.

If everyone could just back off this thread for a short while while SOTS clarifies this point that would be cool... just leave me and SOTS sort this out for a moment... thanks.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »

DeV.
    Is this the post I should be responding to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hang on. This isn't true. You were sitebanned for misbehaving in soccer under a couple of accounts.

I merged your accounts. I dealt with you directly. You were not banned for having new accounts - you were banned for your past behaviour (by the soccer mods) and for trolling under your NEW account (set up post-incident) and it took us a while to work out how to sort this and what account you wanted to post under. We don't do this for everyone. You were just lucky.

I have a LARGE number of emails from you to me and back again that I'm happy to publish about this, if you are.

Your situation was unique and it came while we were trying to sort out everyone's account. Yes, you had to wait a while. You had at least two accounts that were banned and I wanted you to have ONE account that you took responsibility for.

You admitted yourself you had trolled under at least one account and wanted to start afresh. We agreed to give it a go.

Again, I have all of our correspondence by email.

So again with regard to new accounts being set up. They have to be cleared

No they don't. Yours did, because of your past behaviour but that's a unique case.
    I had understood that to be the case when i contacted someone in admins. And trust me I was going back and forth with admin on this for at least two weeks.

Yes you were. You were given a second fifth chance. This is how you choose to use it? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Heh, if I was Spiritoftheseventies I'd want to delete my account right about now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Wait, wait, wait. Is it just me, or did SOTS just hang himself by the bollox?

• Advertisement

Darragh wrote: »
    Hang on. This isn't true. You were sitebanned for misbehaving in soccer under a couple of accounts.

I merged your accounts. I dealt with you directly. You were not banned for having new accounts - you were banned for your past behaviour (by the soccer mods) and for trolling under your NEW account (set up post-incident) and it took us a while to work out how to sort this and what account you wanted to post under. We don't do this for everyone. You were just lucky.

I have a LARGE number of emails from you to me and back again that I'm happy to publish about this, if you are.

Your situation was unique and it came while we were trying to sort out everyone's account. Yes, you had to wait a while. You had at least two accounts that were banned and I wanted you to have ONE account that you took responsibility for.

You admitted yourself you had trolled under at least one account and wanted to start afresh. We agreed to give it a go.

Again, I have all of our correspondence by email.

No they don't. Yours did, because of your past behaviour but that's a unique case.

Yes you were. You were given a second fifth chance. This is how you choose to use it? :eek:
    Sorry Darragh. may i point out some inaccuracies that still haven't being corrected
    On that mod infraction note on the prison forum at the time, it was claimed that Spiritoftheseventies was a multiple account even though it wasnt as I had actually changed the user name via subscription.
    I had to let that go despite having made a very strong case to mod on PF. I was told this was the way it was and it wasn't going to be discussed again.
    Re soccer ban My only minor offence at that was that i used an account to report on two or three posters who gloated on a forum after I had got banned.
    (Yeah I lost the rag with the mod and i have since apologised for it to him via pm)
    Those posts remained up and they only came down after i reported them under another account.
    It was for reporting this that I got a three week site ban for an offence that had nothing to do with my behaviour outside of that forum.
    This debate started over posters wanted to start afresh with new accounts. I was merely pointing out that due to the behaviour of some posters here that its not really possible.
    Some posters are relentless when it comes to getting their digs in. Its takes little to provoke them.
    Even tonight they continue to do so.
    I appreciate you took time out and that my case is unique but also understand that a certain amount of posters on SF are also unique in the way they post.
    The stuff that is allowed on Soccer Forum simply wouldn't happen anywhere else. My past behaviour outside the Soccer Forum is mimimal up until recently.

But everything and I mean absolutely everything comes back to it. The only minor infraction i got was on Alt Music forum on 31st August.
    But mod of that forum will tell you I didnt force the issue and nothing was ever said about it again. We get on fine now.
    I'm asking that for the last time that something is done about this. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement