Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAS Courses Allowances

• 29-04-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I am waiting to get on a FAS course. My job seekers benefit has finally come to an end. I have been on it since finishing my job in December 2009. I was on JSB full time from January 2010 but this has ended since 23rd. April.

If I get on this course say, in the next month or two. will I qualify for an allowance? I will have to travel 70 miles a day (round trip) to the training centre and to be honest, while I am anxious to do the course, I do not want to have this course cost me travelling expenses every day.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

If you check out the FAS website you will find everything you need to know there. Good luck with your course. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I did and it is confusing as these sites can be!

Just thought that someone might have experience of this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

You will get travel allowance but not sure how much they will give you.
    Best thing to do is go in and talk to the people in Fas about you finishing your benefit and see what they say and I am sure they will sort it out for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭saol alainn

If you don't receive a social welfare allowance, you will not get the training allowance. However, you will get a travel allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

I was on a FÁS course last year. You will get the same amount of money that you are getting from the Dole office i.e. Job Seekers Allowance. They will pay you travel allowance but it is only one way i.e. half your 70 mile round trip per day, you also get something like 80 cent per day for food allowance if your course is not in a FÁS Center (if it is in a FÁS center I believe the canteen is supplemented). What you could do with the travel allowance is car share, which is what we did and it worked out fine.

From the FÁS website:

Miles / Kilometres Rate* € Per Week
    3 - 5 miles / 5 - 8 kilometres 4.60
    5 - 10 miles / 8 - 16 kilometres 11.90
    10 - 20 miles / 16 - 32 kilometres 17.60
    20 - 30 miles / 32 - 48 kilometres 21.60
    30 - 40 miles / 48 - 64 kilometres 27.70
    40 - 50 miles / 64 - 80 kilometres 32.60

So for 35 miles you will be getting somewhere between €21.60 and €27.70 extra per week. I know its not exact but I hope it helps.

Also if you don't attend the course because you are sick or for any other reason, you are not paid the travel allowance or the meal allowance for that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I was on a FÁS course last year. You will get the same amount of money that you are getting from the Dole office i.e. Job Seekers Allowance. They will pay you travel allowance but it is only one way i.e. half your 70 mile round trip per day, you also get something like 80 cent per day for food allowance if your course is not in a FÁS Center (if it is in a FÁS center I believe the canteen is supplemented). What you could do with the travel allowance is car share, which is what we did and it worked out fine.

From the FÁS website:

Miles / Kilometres Rate* € Per Week
    3 - 5 miles / 5 - 8 kilometres 4.60
    5 - 10 miles / 8 - 16 kilometres 11.90
    10 - 20 miles / 16 - 32 kilometres 17.60
    20 - 30 miles / 32 - 48 kilometres 21.60
    30 - 40 miles / 48 - 64 kilometres 27.70
    40 - 50 miles / 64 - 80 kilometres 32.60

So for 35 miles you will be getting somewhere between €21.60 and €27.70 extra per week. I know its not exact but I hope it helps.

Also if you don't attend the course because you are sick or for any other reason, you are not paid the travel allowance or the meal allowance for that day.

80 cent per day for food allowance??? now can any one tell me what would you buy for 80cent?? just goes to show does,nt it the fas boss,s expences 5star hotels,limos,hair cuts, and they pay 80cent food allowance some joke aint it just says it all how corrupt this country is.........

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mia2010

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some info on fas work placements. I applied for some of these through the website as I have a social welfare claim in, and I'm receiving some HSE benefit in the meantime, however I still haven't registered with fas and I have an interview for one of these placements this week. I wonder since I'm receiving hse benefit but not technically on welfare yet would I still be eligable? Also do you receieve any expense allowance? I intend going into fas next couple days but would just love to get some info from someone who might know. thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tigs_

From my personal experience FAS was just that a quango(FREE LABOUR) and a useless one at that,i would not reccomned a FAS course to anybody who is serious about their C.V,being completeley honest i would try any other recruitment service but FAS.They only pay the going rate of the dole,at thier best all they could do(in the boom years) was bolster up the welfare of the welfare hoors of ireland,they never provided job oppurtunities for them either,unless you were a relative who had clout!

Unfortunately there are recruitment agencies who just do not ring back,i have been to countless recruitment agencies over the years(yes years,when my C.V was undamaged by a fat retarded supervisor in FAS.

http://www.shane-ross.ie/archives/59...-cronies-jack/

It is these supervisors who are the face of FAS and give FAS a bad rep.They go LARGELY unpunished due to the fas head office screaming it is not our responsibility it is not within our remit etc,their claim is that the FAS supervisors are not directly employed by FAS itself?Even though she is on a FAS payrole.The rules of FAS work against anybody who finds themselves being harrassed by a supervisor.I was harrassed by this supervisor who partook in stealing off of me,with her ce worker boyfriend,she also has used the internet inappropraitely,but if i did complain her about that,i probably would have been the one that was fired!OH THE IRONY OF IT ALL.!

The FAS officer who officially signs you up,could be situated miles from a supervisor and there is NOBODY INDEPENDANT SUPERVISING THE SUPERVISOR,THE SET UP OF FAS IS WRONG,AND IT WILL COST EVEN MORE MONEY TO FIX THIS INHERENTLY CORRUPT ORGANISTATION.

http://info-wars.org/2010/05/15/irel...into-15-staff/

Because FAS are there to provide essentially FREE LABOUR(yes thats right the fas ce worker and apprenticeship wage is now cut to that of the dole) to local businesses,the local boss is willing to put up with a harassing boss.

www.indymedia.ie/article/90107

Ce workers have replaced full time staff where i worked,it is ridiculous,it should be challenged more vigouously by someone!

Bullying is the FAS culture,and it is full of FF buffons.

A name change only validates what the government are doing,which is fiddling statistics to make the percentages of unemployed artificially DECREASE.Kind of like what they were doing with the banks when they paid that ombudsman to do the ''stress test'',on the banks in ireland even up to a year before they officially came out public with the recession..

Bankers can have a job at FAS(or the organistation formerly known as FAS) if they find the pressure too much maybe???

www.indymedia.ie/article/90107

The poor humble jobless joes and the working class have no voice on what happens in irish politics,who we vote for,is essentially put before our eyes on a national level we cannot choose.

People who gravitate towards the state jobs / government jobs like FAS etc..Are buffons they have no education,no formal training or even work experience and for thier shortcomings,try to make everyone else around them inferior.

http://info-wars.org/2010/09/08/stud...-re-sit-exams/

If these FF buffons had to work a day in a real enviorment where you just had to get the work done,they wouldnt last..and they sure as hell know it too.

FAS is there for the failed.

I have worked as a ce worker for the disabled and the company involved with FAS took full advantage,it was more about office politics with certain members of staff (WHO I SHALL NOT NAME)than getting an honest days work down.Some staff members of FAS and one other member of the other organisation (who i will not identify by level or name),also conducted herself dishonestly on and offline,however if i was to point this out,i would have been the problem..There were two people who were on ce schemes one person who is in higher management(who was on a ce scheme for ten years,the other who is high up also(was there for seven years,hardly the pick of the crop,yet the used FAS as a springboard to get onto working with disablity in rehab care).
    A lot of bad hiring decisions were made in this place,and being honest,a big fat disaster waiting to happen,and they have themselves to blame for that.

http://thestory.ie/2010/05/14/fas-bu...-and-expenses/

My point is FAS can put your workplace in a world of **** very quickly..

One service user had faeces in his underwear and was made to stay in rehab care for a full day while not being dealt with or his family or home help called.

They are more interested in licking each others arse holes!Fas have corrupted workplaces like these if i was to have a choice of working in a workplace i would be happier if FAS were not involved as some of these ce workers could end up replacing a full time staff member.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Getting back to the FAS issue im sure they will be having to hire even more consultants and watchers of watchers due to the bad 'workplace' structure of FAS.A name change will drain more of our money,i would compare FAS to a redundant vampire or ghost agency they are taking all our money and genertating very little by way of a) getting people in REAL employment(They actually take away from this with the free labour scam and scmoozing with the businesses who come to ireland,do you think they will turn around get rid of FAS and give YOU a job??..NO) b. not much revenue,this is a dead agency that should have been shut down,the people of ireland should have been consulted about this.

FAS ARE ANOTHER EXPENSE (WHO HAVE GOTTEN THE GOOD CARD EVERY YEAR FROM OUR MINISTERS) THAT SHOULD BE CUT LOOSE ASK ANY ECONOMIST OR ANYBODY WITH A BIT OF COMMON SENSE!

http://www.politics.ie/.../128611-fa...t-ireland.html

HOW DO FAS ATTRACT TAX PAYING JOBS?

WHAT TAX DO FAS GIVE BACK

WHY DO THEY SPEND SO MUCH ON FALSE ADVERTISING

WHY DO FAS NEVER DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO

WHY EMPLOY A FAILED MINISTER WHO RACKED UP 50 K A FAS EXEC JOB

IS FAS ANOTHER JOBS FOR THE BOYS LIKE OUR UNREFORMED AND CORRUPT DAIL

WHY ARE SOME HARRASSING SUPERVISORS STILL THERE

WHY DO FAS HEAD OFFICE SAY IT IS NOT WITHIN THEIR REMIT TO CHALLENGE OR DISCIPLINE A SUPERVISOR EX WELFARE HOOR WHO PARTAKES IN STEALING AND BULLYING AND HAS CONNECTIONS WITH THE IRA?

www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/39861

http://www.kingofthetravellers.com/a...urces/1?page=7

WHERE IS OUR VOICE PAUL O TOOL!WHERE IS OUR VOICE YOU SAY FAS GET NEGATIVE SOUNDBITES BUT UR FULL OF D4 BS AND WE ALL KNOW IT TOO,YOUR A THICK FF BUFFON WHO COULDNT ADD TWO AND TWO AND YOU WERE MINISTER FOR TOURISM WHERE ARE OUR TOURISTS YOU WERE GIVEN THIS POST IN THE YEARS OF THE ..BOOM?

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/97583

Our countries leaders are rotten to the core they have ruined us financially and have put a lot of working and middle class in the **** while propping up vampire agencies like FAS.As we can see in the article below and others like it on the internet the FAS expenses are still rolling on..

http://thestory.ie/2010/09/06/fas-funds-and-siptuictu/

ON A LAST NOTE..IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WORK EXPERIENCE DO NOT GO ON A FAS WORK PLACEMENT THEY OFFER NO WORK PLACEMENT THIS IS FREE LABOUR.DON'T JOIN THE FOOLS GALLERY.
    YOU GET PAID THE RATE OF THE DOLE.EMPLOYERS LOOK DOWN ON THOSE WITH FAS EXPERIENCE AS THEY KNOW HOW THESE PLACES WORK - THEY DONT.

LOOK UP THE CURRENT RATES - THEY ONLY PAY YOU THE DOLE.

AND NO EMPLOYER WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY IF THEY SEE FAS ON YOUR C.V ''WORK PLACEMENT'' OR NOT.

• Advertisement

FAS PAY THE RATE OF THE DOLE NOW.LOOK IT UP.AND THERE IS NO WORK PLACEMENT EITHER.

Due to the recent shennanigans that have gone on in FAS for years employers are skeptical of those with the dreaded FAS experience ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfkfojidauid/rss2/

Another interesting read..more of an humourous one..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/End-th..._fb_noscript=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Tigs banned.
    Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement