Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Cycling Gear May 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

thanks i was waiting for this as i missed the lidl offers a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Don't get the pump, broke on me not 3 months after. Piece of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

sexpot wrote: »
    Don't get the pump, broke on me not 3 months after. Piece of crap

Like all things Lidl and Aldi relating to bike gear , you get what you pay for and you're right most of it is pure crap .....cheap as chips but crap . I for one won't be rushing out to buy any of these items , never pays in the long run , quality is just not there . Better off buying off CRC or Wiggle , a few euros more but better quality IMHO.......

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭templer27

Socks are ok,soft jacket is ok.Shorts are well, they are quite crap.Dont buy the computer piece of sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Well I figured the clothes were crap is that the main opinion ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

The mitts are as good as any other main brand mitts, i ve had mine a year and they do the job and wash real well no tears or excessive wear couldnt fault them, will buy another pair

the undershorts are good also great for mountain biking when you wana wear baggy shorts with no pads

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

gloves , socks, jerseys and pump all decent for the money have had all of them and they are still going strong, 'cept the gloves which need replacing.
    Shorts not so good , and the light jackets are like plastic bags over you

The water bottle is nice but its not great for the bike as its solid alloy

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

Scien wrote: »
    Anyone have comments for the €6 saddlebag/toolkit?

Its grand does the job, multi tool is decent for a multi tool and repair kit does as u would expect. Quite a big saddle bag, and can be expanded if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

I actually have a soft spot for Aldi shorts. Missed them last year, but got a couple the year before that ... and they have seen me till now on the commute. Mind .. I wouldn't recomment them for anything more than the hour or 90mins. Only in the last few weeks have they been feeling uncomfortable .. I assume its to do with the padding finally losing its padding property .... but 2 years .. all weather, no special care while washing .. I couldn't ask for more.

The jerseys are good too ... Still have them since 2 years and can't fault them ... but them I haven't put money into expensive jerseys as I have into shorts. But these are still going strong and don't give me a reason to go out and buy more.

I am thinking of buying the track pump and keeping it at work in case of punctures going into work ... so can I top up before the journey home ... can't go wrong when used once or twice a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I am thinking of buying the track pump and keeping it at work in case of punctures going into work ... so can I top up before the journey home ... can't go wrong when used once or twice a year.

I would't bother, I bought the track pump a few years ago and dumped it within a week and replaced it with a decent branded track pump. A few weeks ago when I was fixing a puncture in work I borrowed a work colleagues aldi/Lidi track pump and found it impossible to get above 80psi. ended up using my trusty road air pump that I carry with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I find that gloves tend to have a one-season lifetime anyway before becoming worthless, so I see no problem buying a few pairs. @ 3.50 a go, you can't really lose even if you only get 3 months out of them.

Can't really go wrong on the shades either since they're not consumables, but they mightn't be very comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Think most of the stuff is good for commuting, especially the gloves. Though be wary of the zips on the jackets. I have the saddle kit and it's fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

I bought jacket, rain jacket, thermal underwear + padded leggins in their winter selection 1 and a half years ago. All still perfect after 2 winters of use + will definitely get a third out of them. ITS A RECESSION!! As comfortable and warm as expensive stuff. Gr8 value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I got the LIDL bike computer and find it great. You can't really go wrong with something so cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I got thesoft shell jacket last time out and can't reccomend it highly enough. Going to try the underwear this time but I don't reccomend the bottle-no use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

jaqian wrote: »
    I got the LIDL bike computer and find it great. You can't really go wrong with something so cheap.
    You can if it simply doesn't work... which was the case with my one. I generally find Aldi/Lidl stuff to be a bit of a lucky dip. CRC/Wiggle/etc in the sales is almost as cheap and generally much better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lidl /aldi gear is what it is cheap and cheerful, out of my cycling collection i have lidl short / long sleeve tops all fine.

aldi winter jackets fantastic, lidl waterproof jackets fine
    aldi winter gloves great, lidl track pump grand works hasnt broken
    lidl computers great work accuarate (compared to gps trace)

lidl / aldi heart rate monitors work but sometimes can be difficult to get it to pick up the heart rate

the only thing i wont buy is shorts but even then for short rides they'll be fine

your not getting assos for 20 euro

if you need some cheap gear starting out or for a commute go for it i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Used to have the saddle bag, found it good, but I've lost it somewhere.
    Then I went out earlier this week & splurged €25 on a bag in the LBS cos I'm doing Connemara Adventure Challenge next weekend.
    Did this cos I thought I would never be so lucky for Aldi to have bike kit the week I needed it.

Pissed off that 2 days later Aldi advertise it - I'd even checked their website the other day & it wasn't listed. :mad:

but I've lost it somewhere.

It will turn up in the next few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

It will turn up in the next few days :)

I know - was expecting to find it the day after I bought the new one - but it will probably be the day after the race, when the new one is covered in mud. :D

Scien wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm a bit of a cycling noob but what's the difference/disadvantage of using alloy bottles over plastic ones?

Can't squeeze an alloy bottle, makes it hard to keep your eyes on the road and take a drink at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Any idea how the tool bag (http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_12818.htm) connects to the saddle?

I have a previous model of this toolbag from Lidl (I think). It fitted my Giant saddle fine, but on my Specialized, it is just a bit too low, and the bag keeps bouncing off the holder when I hit a big bump. I'm just wondering if this one would be any better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Like all things Lidl and Aldi relating to bike gear , you get what you pay for and you're right most of it is pure crap .....cheap as chips but crap . I for one won't be rushing out to buy any of these items , never pays in the long run , quality is just not there . Better off buying off CRC or Wiggle , a few euros more but better quality IMHO.......

From personal experience I have found this not to be the case whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Any idea how the tool bag (http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_12818.htm) connects to the saddle?

I have a previous model of this toolbag from Lidl (I think). It fitted my Giant saddle fine, but on my Specialized, it is just a bit too low, and the bag keeps bouncing off the holder when I hit a big bump. I'm just wondering if this one would be any better?
    Caveat emptor, but guessing that would be similar to my experience, the previous Lidl version had soft velcro fastening to saddle rails, which would slide forward causing the bag to sag and eventually the seat post velcro broke. The aldi one appears to have a rigid plastic attachment which would keep it higher, stop it sliding about and hopefully last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

souter wrote: »
    The aldi one appears to have a rigid plastic attachment which would keep it higher, stop it sliding about and hopefully last longer.
    The main problem is that plastic is, on the whole, less robust than straps, so if you have a good deal of stuff in the bag, the constant rattle from the roads will eventually cause the plastic clasp to fail. Even good quality stuff will fail eventually.

However, given that it's €6, no harm to get two (it's still cheaper than one Topeak bag).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Picked up socks and jersey. Jersey not as fleece lined as the last ones they had out, and the sleeves are pretty tight, but fit is good. The last crane sport one i got is still in use, and was really good for the money paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I was at the Belgard Road branch this morning. Judging by the amount of people there and what was on the shelf the stock is not going to last too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

got the gloves, glasses and bike computer today. i have bout the gloves before and find them great

Got to the Parnell Street branch 20min after opening and it was nearly 20min too late. No saddle bags, no bike computers, no rain gear. The place was gutted. Saw some lad buying five track pumps, I'm guessing for a club.

Managed to get shorts, gloves, sunglasses. Gonna look in other ALDI's for saddle bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bullmastiff

Got soft shell jacket, jersey, shorts, socks & gloves in Rathmines earlier for €42.
    The clothing stock is disappearing fast, but plenty of socks and gloves left.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Got soft shell jacket, jersey, shorts, socks & gloves in Rathmines earlier for €42.
    The clothing stock is disappearing fast, but plenty of socks and gloves left.
    Same in Drogheda (beside halfords). They also had alot of pumps left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

The nearest Aldi to me in London is in a rundown area. Do I risk my bike getting robbed for some cheap gear on the way home, if it's left...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭StudentC

Just back from the one in Rathmines, very little left. They have (from memory) glasses, bottles, some socks (not many) and lots of small gloves and underwear.

no saddlebags, pumps, pack-up jackets or computers, and a random selection of about 10 pieces of clothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

Just back from parnell st. aldi. pretty much nothing left, besides loads of goggles and some gloves, some random bits of ladies gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 brendors

Has anyone been to Parnell St recently, anything left at this stage?
    Was going to go up after work, be there for 6pm, wondering if it's worth bothering?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

crap, should have got up early!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

was in the one near ballymun and the one in finglas ... not much left, got gloves, pump and jacket ... no computers :(

• Advertisement

was in the one near ballymun and the one in finglas ... not much left, got gloves, pump and jacket ... no computers :(

Any shorts left in Ballymun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

WooHoo. I got a few bits and bobs (Courtesy of my mother back home), albeit I'll have to wait to get them. Aren't mothers great.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Any shorts left in Ballymun?

Only XL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

edit

Danke, that should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

I got the shirt, shell, socks and saddle bag in the Headford Rd branch in Galway. Took a look at the shorts but the pad was about as thick as a sheet of cardboard, as was the padding in the gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Michelin

Well I was just going to give my opinions on aldi gear and say how good i think the gloves and glasses are for that price. i have a few pairs of the gloves and find them padded enough and also asthetically pleasing but just as i was about to try on the right one i noticed the stitchin coming apart along the tumb!

Ive gotten a fair bit of stuf from lidl and aldi and found some stuff such as the gloves, glasses, socks fairly decent and nice to wear. I have a pair of oakley glasses and the aldi/lidl frames are the only other pair ive found to fit as nicely! Other stuff such as jerseys and shorts look and feel about as cheap as the price. I bought a jacket a while back and as i put my arm tru sleeve it tore. zips also go on jackets jerseys too but for a tenner u can get a new one fitted anywhere. I got a sleeveless jacket 2 yrs ago and still wear it it feels nice altho has had zip replaced.

But hearing about all the stuff goin so quickly and seeing it for myself today also, i realised aldi/lidl has had a huge influence in getting people started in cycling! So many people buying stuff for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Was in Aldi Parnell street about 9.05am. It was like a scene from an aid drop into a war zone! Almost 5 minutes too late. Got jacket, jersey, shorts, gloves, socks and waterproof jacket. All in all €63, hopefully money well spent.

LOts of M and S gloves left in one near Ballymun, gotta say though, that I left the shorts, padding was indeed too thin. Some glasses left too and a few tool bags

Took a half day (had time worked up) and headed out to Finglas ALDI at 13.30 load of saddle bags then. Picked up two of them (one for the brother), got myself another shorts but no t-shirts or jackets left :( Ah well happy enough with what I got.

• Advertisement
Advertisement