Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Cycling Gear May 6

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Slightly off topic but I went to Lidl last night and got the desk fan for when I'm on the turbo. Used it last night with the patio door open and the fan blowing cold air onto me, made a big difference. For next winter I think people should plan ahead with one of these.
    ps Got kids,have to turbo at night when they are in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Only got to the Tallaght one at 8pm last night. Plenty of socks, glasses, S&M gloves and saddle bags. Picked up the last pair of L gloves.

Shorts are woeful and have about as much padding as a sheet of kictchen roll.

Jerseys I've never been impressed with and I took a look at my mates jacket. Its ok but just feeling it you know its not going to last.

I bought of pair of glasses last year and they lasted all of one summer. Yes they are cheap but the arms are very weak and break quite easily. Don't even think of sticking them in your helmet when not wearing them as you will break them.

One thing on the gloves. For the €3 they are ok. I have a pair of Gist gloves I bought about 10 years ago, still good and so much more comfy than the aldi ones. I probably won't use the aldi ones more than twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

if anyone is still interested, the aldi in maynooth still has plenty of everything igloves, glasses,shorts, tops, jackets etc...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Was in Asbourne last night,everything gone apart from a few shirts and jackets that were size S. There was one two piece tri suit left in size XL and one tri suit (one piece) which I got. Plenty of gloves,glasses,pumps and tool kits though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

biomed32 wrote: »
    if anyone is still interested, the aldi in maynooth still has plenty of everything igloves, glasses,shorts, tops, jackets etc...:)
    Last night they only had one shirt, ladies size S, no shorts -- are they re-stocking?

well the shorts and ladies tops are in short supply but there is plenty of everything else, im a woman myself and i wouldnt put it past me to wear mens cycling jackets etc if there there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

iregk wrote: »
    Only got to the Tallaght one at 8pm last night. Plenty of socks, glasses, S&M gloves

S&M gloves? Kinky but whats that got to do with cycling ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

was in Aldi Santry Avenue around 5pm tonight (friday)....most smaller items gone excluding bottle/cage but quite a few jackets and jerseys left

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Like all things Lidl and Aldi relating to bike gear , you get what you pay for and you're right most of it is pure crap .....cheap as chips but crap . I for one won't be rushing out to buy any of these items , never pays in the long run , quality is just not there . Better off buying off CRC or Wiggle , a few euros more but better quality IMHO.......

I also bought the bike pump & it was pure crap but what was the price 7 or 8 €€?. I ended up buying a top end track pump from CRC on sale for €60. That said a lot of the gear from lidl & aldi is good quality. It may not be high street brands but it is fit for purpose & the quality & fit has improved over the past few years. I should know I have bought loads of it. The gloves @ 3.99 is same price as previous ones on sale but the quality has improved. I bought the lite rain jacket and the normal jacket. Which are at least 3 times cheaper than any branded item. these are great for hacking around If you want to pose buying your high end brands. Me... I buy a mixture of both The Aldi & lidls offer great value for money and most of the items are fine. Some are not You just need to try them to see what suits you and what doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I bought the saddle bag in Aldi in Thurles : nice fit and it can be expanded if need.
    Tyre levers (aluminium) and toolkit fits fine.
    Pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

was in tullamore store this eve loads of everything there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 halfwheeler

STAY AWAY FROM THAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think that's harsh. I know some of it isn't top notch but you're not paying top notch either. Some of it is really good and at times is preferred to expensive gear.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

I wore the jacket for 102km on Saturday - very comfortable (base layer underneath), good wind stopper - no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 halfwheeler

awh god no. I dont want to be annoying or putting people down who bought it but i got some stuff last year. I wouldnt buy again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

damoz wrote: »
    I wore the jersey for 102km on Saturday - very comfortable (base layer underneath), good wind stopper - no complaints.

Stay clear of the shorts I got a pair a few years ago and the first time I wore them I had to make multiple infringements of rule 29. Ended up dumping them as soon as I got home. (Comfort on an bike should not be compromised)

Also tyre pressure is too important to leave to crappy pump, spend the €40 on a decent track pump and it will make keeping tyre pressure correct quick and easy.

I do use and prefer the Aldi/Lidl socks for running over the expensive 1000 mile/twin skin variety.

i think the gear is real good quality compared to branded gear and yes you must go in with the thought that the gear is cheap and less reliable then the more expensive brands but its great for anyone starting out cycling and for cash strapped students like myself in which the basic is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

Stay clear of the shorts

I would agree. Shorts are not to be messed with - the rear needs the best protection you can get and the Aldi/Lidl shorts did not feel good in that department. I use dhB shorts (wiggle own brand) and find them great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

It all depends on how it is going to be used. The needs for a 30-minute commute are very different to the needs for a 5-hour weekend spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I bought a pair of the Aldi shorts : did a 4 hour spin yesterday and they were very comfortable!
    So I'm delighted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement