Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[COMPETITION] In Cork, Dublin, Galway or Limerick? Take a photo and you could win.

• 29-04-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

EDIT: This competition starts from tonight, Monday May 3. Take a photo tonight or tomorrow night, upload it and be in with a chance to win!

LED6530%20%28EU%2C32%29_R45.jpg

Hey all,

We have a competition for photographers starting today. The prizes are

What you have to do:

In Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick on Monday and Tuesday next, May 3 and 4, there will be blue buildings and blue skies from 9:30pm to 12:30am both nights as part of a big marketing campaign. It's being called Project "blueskies"

In Dublin, the Boland Mills building at Grand Canal Dock will be lit up for the 3 hours. There will also be roaming blue sky lighters (not the technical name) at different times on Baggot St, Busaras, Dame St and Usher's Quay on both nights.

In Limerick, the Clarion Hotel will be lit up.

In Cork it will be the R&H Hall

Galway will have the Spanish Arch lit up

To be in with a chance of winning:

All you have to do is take a photo of what's going on and either
    • upload it to or add it to this thread
    • upload it to your own photo sharing site - we recommend Pix.ie - and post a link to the photo. If you do not wish your photo to be displayed on site, please tell us
    • upload it to your own blog and post a link to the post. If you do not wish your photo to be displayed on site, please tell us
    • Post a photo to Twitter using the hashtag #blueskies and let us know when you have done so. If you do not wish your photo to be displayed on site, please tell us

You have until the evening of May 7, 2010 to do so and from all the photos received we'll pick one winner. Your judges will be Darragh and the Marketing Manager of the brand that is behind the campaign.

We will also be giving away a Flip camera to each of the first 3 photographers to post their photos who get the most thanks for their photos in this thread.

So, again, that's a Flip MinoHD Camcorder for the 3 photos that get the most Thanks. (Thank you to the members who suggested this to us :)) When all photos are added, the three photos by different people which have the most thanks will earn their winners a camcorder worth over €150 - specifications here.

(Not that I have to say it to you, but please don't post anything distasteful, irrelevant or indecent - all photos should relate to the 'blueskies' campaign and we fully reserve the right to remove any photos from the competition that we deem inappropriate.)

The Terms and Conditions are as follows:

1. Boards.ie and the promoter fully respects your copyright in the photos you choose to submit and does not claim ownership of any photo entered. Entrants however may be invited to submit your photo for marketing and promotional material or event. In this case, we will contact the relevant copyright holder in order to obtain permission.

2. By entering this prize draw you hereby acknowledge and grant Boards.ie a license to display entered photos on this thread for the purpose of the competition. If you are not a member of Boards.ie, you do not have to join to enter, but we reserve the right to display your photo unless you expressly tell us not to.

3. All winners will be notified by email and announced on May 10, 2010.

4. The main prize is a 40 inch Samsung TV with HD and Blu Ray. Three Flip Cameras can also be won. Prizes are not transferable, nor can they be exchanged for other goods and there is no cash alternative.

5. The free prize draw is open to Republic of Ireland residents only, excluding employees of the Promoter, immediate families or anyone else professionally connected with the free prize draw including employees of Boards.ie and Pembroke Communications.

6. The names of the winners will be published on boards.ie and can also be obtained by sending a SAE marked Competitions, to Pembroke Communications, 16 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2.

7. We cannot, unfortunately, accept any responsibility for difficulties experienced in submitting an entry to this competition.

8. We reserve the right to amend or withdraw this prize draw in the event of any unforeseen circumstances outside our reasonable control and the right to terminate or temporarily suspend this promotion in the event of technical or other difficulties that might compromise its integrity.

9. By entering the free prize draw all participants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by these terms and conditions. Prize winners will be invited to participate in public relations and publicity arranged by the Promoter.

This competition and these terms are governed by Irish law and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Irish Courts.

The decision of the judges will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

* TV Specs as follows:
    • Full HD LED TV
    • 100fps (frames per second)
    • Internet@TV including built in Youtube/MUZU.tv/Facebook
    • Slim (less than 3cm)
    • Ultra Clear Panel
    • Wireless LAN
    • 4 HDMI
    • 2 USB movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I realise this is sanctioned/official, but it still feels a lot like spam and seems pretty dowshey.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

Damn, wish I wasn't studying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Excellent idea............( if I win of course ;-) ) /The only gripe I have is that this part:/ ........giving away a Flip camera to each of the first 3 photographers to post their photos in this thread...... /...is advantageous to a certain type of (technologically advanced) person !!/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

whats the story with galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

skelliser wrote: »

^What he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Excellent idea............( if I win of course ;-) ) /The only gripe I have is that this part:/ ........giving away a Flip camera to each of the first 3 photographers to post their photos in this thread...... /...is advantageous to a certain type of (technologically advanced) person !!/

yeah but isnt having a photo competition "advantageous" to a certain type of person (ie. one that has an interest/ability in terms of photographing subjects)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

charybdis wrote: »
    I realise this is sanctioned/official, but it still feels a lot like spam and seems pretty dowshey.

hah, I actually clicked into the thread with the intention of reporting it. Maybe I still will ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

well,id quite fancy a new tv :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭6stringmaniac

Can you submit more than one picture?

hah, I actually clicked into the thread with the intention of reporting it. Maybe I still will ...

I actually logged in for the express purpose of reporting it. It was only when I saw who had posted it did I realise that my reporting of it would probably be pointless.

Does no-one else find it strange that there is no mention of who this campaign is in aid of, besides a vague reference to "the brand that is behind the campaign"?

From the details of the campaign, I assume the "brand" is Blue Sky Mortgages which, incidentally, is a pretty hilarious name for a mortgage company, particularly given the perilous state of the housing market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

We're not sure if it's happening in Galway yet, but when we do we'll update the thread to let you know - hopefully tomorrow afternoon :)

I actually logged in for the express purpose of reporting it. It was only when I saw who had posted it did I realise that my reporting of it would probably be pointless.

If you don't like this sort of thing, tell us. That's the only way we'll know that you don't like it.
    Does no-one else find it strange that there is no mention of who this campaign is in aid of, besides a vague reference to "the brand that is behind the campaign"?

The brand in question is undergoing a re-launch and wants to keep this "secret". Now, to be honest, it's nothing exciting, but they've asked us not to say anything so we won't.
    From the details of the campaign, I assume the "brand" is Blue Sky Mortgages which, incidentally, is a pretty hilarious name for a mortgage company, particularly given the perilous state of the housing market.

It's not. The "blue skies" are to do with the colour of the lights that will be shone on the buildings and in the skies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Whats the specs of the flip cameras??? And can you enter more than once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

YourName wrote: »
    This amazing thing called Google gave me this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

kmart6 wrote: »
    This amazing thing called Google gave me this.

God never heard of Google up until now, interesting that ! ! !

I understood that it was this brand, and I just found a link in the original post, I didn't need this funny new invention you found called Google anyway, you see. But thank you for your help . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

While it's a good competition, I don't agree with giving the flip cameras to the first 3 people to post. Not allot of people have the capacity to take a picture and upload it instantly. A few people do and that means they have a huge advantage. To be honest it should be a random draw of people.

I am one of the people who DOES have access to instant uploading of pictures taken so don't see this in any way of making it easier for myself to win.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

^What he said.
    It reads to me as: "free prizes to whoever can take a qualifying shot, of whatever quality, and get it online here the fastest". Boo.

P.S. See ye at 9:31pm tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Seems like we're almost a year to late-
    All winners will be notified by email and announced on May 10, 2009

Your photo could win you a 40 inch HD TV or a Flip camera- I'll take the HD TV. (sounds like a choice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PCPhoto wrote: »
    yeah but isnt having a photo competition "advantageous" to a certain type of person (ie. one that has an interest/ability in terms of photographing subjects)
    You could say it was "advantageous" to someone with a digital camera, as opposed to a non-digital camera, as the former could plug it into a web cafe PC, and upload it to the site @ 21:00:25

) /The only gripe I have is that this part:/ ........giving away a Flip camera to each of the first 3 photographers to post their photos in this thread...... /...is advantageous to a certain type of (technologically advanced) person !!/

Very good point - I went back to the promoters so we have changed this to be the 3 photos (by different photographers) who get the most Thanks before the closing time will be deemed to be each the winners of the camera.

So basically, the top 3 thanked photos,

What do you reckon?

• Advertisement

Can you submit more than one picture?

Yes, but you'll only be eligible for one prize, if you get me. It will only be one of your photos in the running :)

YourName wrote: »

Heya, Specs here - http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=176266

Yes, you can enter more than once but only one of your photos will be eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

So basically, the top 3 thanked photos, What do you reckon?
    .......Yeah, that would work, or another option might be to pick 3 random numbers, after the comp closes, eg. 23, so that whoever has posted at no. 23 (if its a photo for entry into the comp, and hasn't already been picked) then that person gets the camera. This would be the fairest way, me thinks ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

Dav wrote: »
    We will also be giving away a Flip camera to each of the first 3 photographers to post their photos who get the most thanks for their photos in this thread.

Hi.
    This could cause campaining for a victory/prize. Like I tell all my mates to vote/thank for my picture.

Good luck and happy snapping to all.

P.S. I'll piss myself dry if O2 is the sponsor lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Why?

I'm allergic to spam, but this looks to me like an opportunity for people to win some quite nice prizes. Sure, there's advertising involved as well, but isn't there with most competitions, even if it's fairly subtle sometimes?

*Personally* I think the lads hit a pretty fair happy medium in what they allow / don't allow on Boards, but obviously, that's just my opinion, and no more (or less) valid than any other user's.

I know they will take all opinions on board, but banning all competitions like this will also deprive users of some nice freebies, at a time when we could all do with the odd freebie! >.<

Mind you, I do very much agree with the change from "first 3 photos" ... just shows they do listen, like ...

Why?

I'm allergic to spam, but this looks to me like an opportunity for people to win some quite nice prizes. Sure, there's advertising involved as well, but isn't there with most competitions, even if it's fairly subtle sometimes?

*Personally* I think the lads hit a pretty fair happy medium in what they allow / don't allow on Boards, but obviously, that's just my opinion, and no more (or less) valid than any other user's.

I know they will take all opinions on board, but banning all competitions like this will also deprive users of some nice freebies, at a time when we could all do with the odd freebie! >.<

Mind you, I do very much agree with the change from "first 3 photos" ... just shows they do listen, like ...

Well I'm sure a lot of people think some of their email looks like an opportunity to get lots of money from a Nigerian oil baron who needs some casual financial assistance, or an opportunity to get cheap drugs without prescription, or an opportunity to increase the size of their penis - should they have one. Spam isn't supposed to look like spam, that's the point.

I don't think this is like that and I don't think it's spam. What I said was that it felt like spam.

Obviously, as I said, this is sanctioned and explicitly allowed by boards.ie, but it just seemed a slightly strange way to go about promoting it: it wasn't a sticky, it wasn't posted in the "Photo Challenge" or the "Photographic Expeditions" subfora, it didn't disclose some details that one would imagine are fairly pertinent to any competition, etc.

I don't really mind it, I just found it a bit jarring upon fist sight.

Just confirmed Galway there now - the Spanish Arch on both nights :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Darragh wrote: »
    So basically, the top 3 thanked photos,

What do you reckon?
    Very good. This will get more people out snapping, as people would've been put off by the "first 3" bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Think the first 3 posts would have made it interesting! shows how things have changed and how easy it is to share images with users....it was innovative!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

As a kind of long time member of boards I welcome such competitions, spam me arse, this is exciting, I will be entering :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

I might be missing something, but what is this actually promoting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd guess it's o2, I won't be going until I hear it's not, would like one of the mods confirm if it's them.
    They ran a blueskies campaign last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yay nay for Waterford.....yet again falling victim to the Brown Thomas edict :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

I'll certainly be giving this a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

It's UPC, "Chorus/NTL a UPC company" changes to just UPC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Anyone going to the Spanish Arch tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Anyone going to the Spanish Arch tonight?

Yep hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I think its a deadly idea. Will be going along to the Spanish Arch tonight, maybe to Clarion tomorrow night depending on work.

Spanish Arch should be great, see you all later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Might head down the Spanish Arch later to take a few shots and for a game of guess-the-boardsie :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭combat5

ya might go down could be fun and it gives me a break from the STUDY:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

5C2FE33706C54238A51A3782741B3E8C.jpg

This is what it is - still no idea who it is for? An alien invasion?

If anybody is planning on going down tomorrow night worth noting:
    • The lights are pretty faint (maybe I was expecting too much). I had hoped to get a shot from near the new theatre though the red sculpture lights. Did not work for me (may be down to me though).
    • The lights move up and down the building. This means that a long exposure shot does not work that well i.e. looking for a shot from the other side of the road to get the trailing tail light effect from the traffic did not work (again may be down to me).
    • Tripod would be helpful
    • Say hello to your fellow boardies! (Hi to the two nice ladies I was briefly talking to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

5C2FE33706C54238A51A3782741B3E8C.jpg

This is what it is - still no idea who it is for? An alien invasion?

If anybody is planning on going down tomorrow night worth noting:
    • The lights are pretty faint (maybe I was expecting too much). I had hoped to get a shot from near the new theatre though the red sculpture lights. Did not work for me (may be down to me though).
    • The lights move up and down the building. This means that a long exposure shot does not work that well i.e. looking for a shot from the other side of the road to get the trailing tail light effect from the traffic did not work (again may be down to me).
    • Tripod would be helpful
    • Say hello to your fellow boardies! (Hi to the two nice ladies I was briefly talking to)

Excellent pic. it's UPC (Chorus/NTL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

yeah it was all a bit weird... did a couple of long exposure but they were moving the logo so i got a bunch of blue blurs. Very weird conditions to photograph in. I wonder what upc were trying to achieve with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

From down the Spanish Arch;

4576479592_e920980021.jpg

I love how the building came out all dark.
    alternatively here's a version with the window removed (I was't sure if that sort of PP was allowed?):
    4576478090_22b9297437.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Was hoping to get down myself but something came up. Definately looks like UPC alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Chilly enough down at Boland's wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Have to say from the one at Spanish Arch in Galway, they need to try harder.
    Drove down around 11 with intention of stopping and entering a few photo's, had no idea what / who it was ment to be promoting, and saw a faint blue beam being shot into the sky... I kept on driving boyo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

From down the Spanish Arch;

I love how the building came out all dark.
    alternatively here's a version with the window removed (I was't sure if that sort of PP was allowed?):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/citrusandlime/4576478090/

Thats gas! I wasnt gonna stick up an image yet but when I saw yours, i remembered... Great minds thing alike eh? Cork

A7E1BC8713204B21A525BE8662A535E5-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

Less than ideal conditions in Limerick too. Some cloud cover tomorrow might make the beam much more effective.

121FCC6D2ADB43AB88130F9BCF682246-800.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement