Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[COMPETITION] In Cork, Dublin, Galway or Limerick? Take a photo and you could win.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

A couple from Baggot Street...

83D63BB922DD46818FD39A7B563DC6D8-500.jpg

D1AD3A027E754FC298721BE606857B89-500.jpg

A couple of car reflections - again from Baggot Street.......

6AFB20D310E546858B02FBDC66557DE4-500.jpg

E75632AFB1BD4BC58214AD2BB1536B70-500.jpg

Four from Boland's Mill....

E89F2C0801274D44BFB51325811D8781-500.jpg

C574047D527F410A9E6A0ACFE5BC62CF-500.jpg

95A0CB37486042C39A3D7FB1D3834DA9-500.jpg

6578BA8F9171493997D253B3ADC11B0D-500.jpg

And finally, one from Dame Street and one from Busaras....
    DD2D9F46FDF84815BD9DAEF1B0C98DD1-500.jpg D707560B15BB4197A6E11381C22DE2D0-500.jpg

.....and that concludes the pullandbang entry :)

BTW - didn't see too many out last night and I was at all four locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Gerard93

A2F52E4328B84D9EACE0D0B0207B2B2F.jpg

DEA0A476A11C4648968DB9DE5EEC76BC.jpg

5484A3EC681F4B32B485D2923B872C8A.jpg

DEA0A476A11C4648968DB9DE5EEC76BC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Eventually, I think I finished :) 3:34 am, edited the timelapse video one more time and I think this time got better results - though its still not working - should be ready by morning.

Added more shots from yesterday( or actually two days ago) to this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65711896&postcount=69

from obvious reasons - no point for me to cut the post in two :)

Hope you guys like it, if so :) give the thumb up, thanks to all that already did.

Cheers and great competition so far - must admit had some fun and would love to see more of those happening around Dublin - with prices or not...

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 viruseater

Just joined boards as I was browsing through these photos and some of them are really nice and thought I'd like to add my comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Jenmc55 wrote: »
    Can we have a little clarity on why the email address keeps bounding back? Thanks :)

Sure, will check that out for you :)

If you're having problems with the email address, please try

join-the-evolution@pembrokecomms.ie

and that should work for you.

Thanks

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nike319

Less than ideal conditions in Limerick too. Some cloud cover tomorrow might make the beam much more effective.

121FCC6D2ADB43AB88130F9BCF682246-800.jpg

I really like this one. Good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stroopy

Great stuff everyone! Some really amazing photos in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Here is my attempt from the Cork light setup on last Tuesday night. It's a 3 shot panorama, I wanted to include the Port of Cork sign and the red lights on the Elysian on the RHS..

4584261515_50b584ab85_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ivesst

ivesst wrote: »
    5E0392602DFB4CCE8A88BB5776EBED36.jpg

1F35A379015E4F2DA77D19CBFD303317.jpg

B7383DBD7F0A4A759D73A6974D92E29D.jpg

C69127F962304D3EAB463A25598254C2.jpg

0E26931EBF134BBA8F94D0789983CFC1.jpg

D491EBAEA9E249E68EFCD2F061AD1B70.jpg

F21C2CC9730D4E579D251AC029A97561.jpg

4C30EF28C136469298A481322424E117.jpg

69482FBB78E7433994D219EAF72F396D.jpg

4C30EF28C136469298A481322424E117.jpg

DCE657A0236A46AE96603B618AD8B16D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

scubadec wrote: »
    Ya, excellent photos Joe, what exposure times did you use?

Horizontal stitch of 1.3sec shutter speed shots on Nikon D60 for the first two, vertical stitch of 10sec shutter speed shots on Canon G10 for the the last one. Much prefer the results from the Canon doing this actually, was giving much richer colour if that makes sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maksym21

f06h5t.jpg

2rogbqd.jpg

15s214h.jpg

15pskya.jpg

23lmhpg.jpg

20shw9.jpg

Going to leave this open for Thanks etc and for images until midnight tonight.

Don't know how to upload an image? Simplest thing is to use a web account like Pix.ie, Picasa or Flickr, upload your photo to there and either post the address of the photo on the site or use image tags to add it, - read the FAQ here - so, for example, if I put in (without the *'s)

B]*[/B]i[B]*[/B]m[B]*[/B]g[B]*[/B*http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5V7vNjVKdVI/S5a3weUYYCI/AAAAAAABz6c/g276hO0-GmM/s400/dd-mustardjar.JPG*B]*[/B]/[B]*[/B]i[B]*[/B]m[B]*[/B]g[B]*[/B

I'd get

dd-mustardjar.JPG

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭abulense

Another from last Tuesday night at R&H Hall, Cork

7C44C79DD9CD49F089290E869451F9C7-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

foto joe wrote: »
    Horizontal stitch of 1.3sec shutter speed shots on Nikon D60 for the first two, vertical stitch of 10sec shutter speed shots on Canon G10 for the the last one. Much prefer the results from the Canon doing this actually, was giving much richer colour if that makes sense!

Didn't want to ask this till the competition was over. Being a total amateur, what is meant by a "Horizontal stitch" and "Vertical stitch" probably something so simple, so please excuse my ignorance in these matters. Also what appatures were you using? Fab pictures by the way.

Yeah it's something simple! ;) For horizontal stitch I mean three or four portrait shots sweeping from left to right that were stitched together using Microsoft ICE. Vertical stitch was three or four landscape shots but moving from low to high to get the beam in the sky, then stitching them one on top of the other. Cheaper than wide angle lens! :p

EDIT: Here's what I meant... (not a technical term btw!)
    stitchup.jpg

So, someone going to call this competition?! It's rolling 11hrs after the extended deadline!

• Advertisement

Hiya

While I'm leaving the thread open for comments/feedback etc, I've got a copy of it as of last night and I'm going to count up the Thanks on the photos by time submitted etc

Winners will be announced on Monday.

Thanks a million

Darragh

According to the technical wizards we employ here at Boards.ie, the posts/photos with the most thanks are as follows:

Goretti - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65726761&postcount=89 - 32 thanks

Trogdor - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65709706&postcount=55 - 25 thanks

Foto joe - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65734335&postcount=98 - 22 thanks

So, by the rukes of the competition, they're the three winners of the Flip Cameras - the other outright winner will be announced Monday.

Congratulations folks - will drop you a PM soon to arrange delivery of your prizes :)

Hi, I have a question about the pictures taken outside the date fixed in the competition, or does it also will be evaluated. I see a lot of pictures on the forum made out of time.

Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Force Kin

Lads seriously, was this a photography competition or a "thank you" competition???

maksym21 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question about the pictures taken outside the date fixed in the competition, or does it also will be evaluated. I see a lot of pictures on the forum made out of time.

Anna

How could they though - the event was only on Mon and Tues night? :confused:

How could they though - the event was only on Mon and Tues night? :confused:
    Sorry but I see a lot of photos taken outside the May 3 and 4, 9:30 pm to 12:30 pm it is very easy to check.

" What you have to do:

In Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick on Monday and Tuesday next, May 3 and 4, there will be blue buildings and blue skies from 9:30pm to 12:30am both nights as part of a big marketing campaign. It's being called Project "blueskies"

• Advertisement

Lads seriously, was this a photography competition or a "thank you" competition???

Well the runner up spot was a thank you competition really...
    Dav wrote: »
    We will also be giving away a Flip camera to each of the first 3 photographers to post their photos who get the most thanks for their photos in this thread.

Probably not the best way to judge a photo comp but an improvement from the initial first-three-submitted idea.

I do agree there were much better photos submitted but didn't notch up the thanks, voted for them myself, I trust one of these will be rewarded in the main judged competition for the TV. If I were UPC I can see two or three I'd like to make use of...

Sorry but I see a lot of photos taken outside the May 3 and 4, 9:30 pm to 12:30 pm it is very easy to check.

Yeah just a matter of checking the exif, but the event wasn't on at any other time?! :confused: Two likely reasons for anything "outside" that time would be new images created after postprocessing (stitching multiple images to create one, or converting/resaving).... or a simpler one would be the time/date wrong on the camera!

Anna

Hi Anna

The opening posts states
    To be in with a chance of winning:

All you have to do is take a photo of what's going on and either
    • upload it to or add it to this thread
    • upload it to your own photo sharing site - we recommend Pix.ie - and post a link to the photo. If you do not wish your photo to be displayed on site, please tell us
    • upload it to your own blog and post a link to the post. If you do not wish your photo to be displayed on site, please tell us
    • Post a photo to Twitter using the hashtag #blueskies and let us know when you have done so. If you do not wish your photo to be displayed on site, please tell us

You have until the evening of May 7, 2010 to do so and from all the photos received we'll pick one winner.

So, any of the photos that were taken on either night and uploaded before last night are eligible.

Hope that helps

Darragh

Two quick questions to answer the one above:

1. Any reason you didn't use your other Boards.ie account to ask this question? You know, the one you entered the competition under?

2. Have you a better suggestion as to how we'd fairly distribute it, to everyone's satisfaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭abulense

Darragh wrote: »

2. Have you a better suggestion as to how we'd fairly distribute it, to everyone's satisfaction?

I do, have the judges choose the overall winner AND the runners up.

• Advertisement

Why would you think that was fairer? Surely the better photos got thanked the most?

(Not disagreeing with you here, just interested)

Yeah just a matter of checking the exif, but the event wasn't on at any other time?! :confused: Two likely reasons for anything "outside" that time would be new images created after postprocessing (stitching multiple images to create one, or converting/resaving).... or a simpler one would be the time/date wrong on the camera!

On the contest day and hour set did not display the words UPS :rolleyes:

There will always be different views on what is best and how to find the winners and what ever way you do it some one will find fault. Entering a competition like this is great fun in my opinion and I personally would like to thank Darragh and all that were involved for providing us with the opertunity. I think we have to take into account that we all have different ideas as to what is a good photo, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder sort of thing.

Well done to all that won prizes and and to all those that took the time to show what they can do. Would be great if we could similar competitions periodically.

Did on the second night !

Not sure what ya mean but... from looking at the entries I think UPC only showed their logo on Monday night. (Prob to get the public guessing)... then displayed both the logo and UPC on Tuesday.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Would be great if we could similar competitions periodically.

Yeah, I hope Audi have a promo coming up... :p

Why would you think that was fairer? Surely the better photos got thanked the most?

Looking at some of the names that thanked a lot of the entries it's obvious that some contestants canvassed people from other parts of boards to come and vote for their entry. Lots of those names have never surfaced here before either in the random photo thread or the assignment threads. Nothing wrong with that, it was within the rules, but is it within the spirit of the rules?

I too think the judges should have chosen all of the prizes.
    However it was a good competition and it's always interesting to see other peoples take on a given subject.
    Congrats to all the winners - some really great shots there.

Looking at some of the names that thanked a lot of the entries it's obvious that some contestants canvassed people from other parts of boards to come and vote for their entry. Lots of those names have never surfaced here before either in the random photo thread or the assignment threads. Nothing wrong with that, it was within the rules, but is it within the spirit of the rules?

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Looking at some of the names that thanked a lot of the entries it's obvious that some contestants canvassed people from other parts of boards to come and vote for their entry.

oh God, I hope not - its not the Oscars - anyway well done to winners - seams well fair to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

You are suggesting that other boards users should not be thanking posts because they have not been involved in the photography forum previously? That is very narrow minded. Boards users can be involved in all the public areas of the site, including the photography forum, if they so choose. The photography forum is not a private club. This contest was not a private contest whereby only the "photography regulars" are allowed to be involved in it.

Furthermore, if some contestants mentioned their photographs to others not associated with the photography forum and were involved elsewhere on the site and got thanked, so what? If those people didn't like the picture or didn't want to thank it for whatever reason, then those people are responsible for that. It is entirely their choice. Each boards user is responsible for their own account.

abulense wrote: »
    I do, have the judges choose the overall winner AND the runners up.
    The terms of the contest were posted up at the beginning of the week. If someone had a problem with them, then that was the time to complain about the structure of the contest. To do it after the contest has ended and the winners declared, indicates a 'bad loser' mentality to me.

This mentality also shames the fantastic opportunity that boards and UPC have offered to the boards population. I was not involved in this specific competition, but I have entered into other contests before here on boards. I haven't won a thing, but I don't cry about it - fair play to the people that have won, and I hope boards continues to partner with external companies to offer us boardsies great opportunities in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

I too think the judges should have chosen all of the prizes.
    However it was a good competition and it's always interesting to see other peoples take on a given subject.
    Congrats to all the winners - some really great shots there.

The rules were abused and etiquette was thrown out the window.
    Foto Joe - A deserved winner. Lovely shots.

The rules were abused and etiquette was thrown out the window.
    Foto Joe - A deserved winner. Lovely shots.

What etiquette? The etiquette as suggested by pullandbang of being in a private photography club where only a regular poster in the photography forum should win even though the contest was announced site wide? I could make the assumption that you are in that little club, but I am not so childish to go around checking if people posted in forum x or forum y.

Spirit of the rules? Rules are rules. Terms are terms. Conditions are conditions. People played within the rules. Simple as. If the only people that were allowed to thank posts in the contest were regular photography posters, then it would have been in the rules. Hence, it wasn't, ergo, sore loser

Rsaeire wrote: »
    What etiquette? The etiquette as suggested by pullandbang of being in a private photography club where only a regular poster in the photography forum should win even though the contest was announced site wide? I could make the assumption that you are in that little club, but I am not so childish to go around checking if people posted in forum x or forum y.

Spirit of the rules? Rules are rules. Terms are terms. Conditions are conditions. People played within the rules. Simple as. If the only people that were allowed to thank posts in the contest were regular photography posters, then it would have been in the rules. Hence, it wasn't, ergo, sore loser

Correct.

Goretti played by the rules and won fair and square.

Correct.

Goretti played by the rules and won fair and square.

Indeed. I believe that all contestants, posters and thankers participated within the actual rules. Congratulations to all the winners and to each of the partcipants - some excellent shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Congrats to the Goretti, Trogdor, Foto joe on this.

To those that have issues with the competition, please make your point constructively and move on. It's a camera worth €150 quid not the friggen lottery. Try not to completely flip out (see what I did there?), it just comes across as sour grapes. Just because you are on the internet does not mean you should abandon whatever tact you might possess in real life.

In the the interest of constructive criticism, if post thanks is used in future competitions I'd suggest that there be a limit of one photo per post - that way thanks apply to a photo as opposed to a set of photos.

But a great comp all the same, got me out with the camera on a coldish evening when I otherwise would have stayed at home.

It's amazing how you can deduce from my post that I suggested a private club! I neither suggested nor implied anything of the sort. I never mentioned the word "etiquette" - that was someone else and now you're attributing it to me! If you want to agree or disagree with something I say, then please don't attribute other peoples comments to me and then pass them off as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

We got out, moved from the couch and shot some pictures - isnt this what counts here? :) Remember guys there - you are doing this for yourself - that's what counts - Portfolio building is your own win - why not noticing this - people tried different techniques, some of us tried something new in their style and some dust of their 'sensors'

Congrats to the winners and hope to see more of those coming soon :)

Looking at some of the names that thanked a lot of the entries it's obvious that some contestants canvassed people from other parts of boards to come and vote for their entry. Lots of those names have never surfaced here before either in the random photo thread or the assignment threads. Nothing wrong with that, it was within the rules, but is it within the spirit of the rules.

This suggests a private club, as I mentioned. You state that it is obvious that some contestants have canvassed because of names that have not posted in particular photography threads before. It can be deduced that you only accept the names of those that posted in these forums previously and ultimately you are suspicous of names you do not recognise. If you were not suspicious you would have not made this comment at all. As I said, the photography forum is not a private forum, it is part of the larger boards site - users can post, thank etc .,. as much as they want as long as it meets the rules of boards. Who are you to be suspicious of names that you do not recognise and then accuse people of canvassing?

You did not mention the word "etiquette" specifically - however it ties in with the phrase "spirt of the rules", which you have used.
    I have now answered your comments, and as far as I am concerned, the contest has ended. I am pleased for all the winners, and the one future outright winner announced on Monday. I have enjoyed the photographs immensely and I hope that the sour grapes from a couple of users do not spoil the possibility of future contests such as this throughout boards.ie.

You did not mention the word "etiquette" specifically - however it ties in with the phrase "spirt of the rules", which you have used.
    I have now answered your comments, and as far as I am concerned, the contest has ended. I am pleased for all the winners, and the one future outright winner announced on Monday. I have enjoyed the photographs immensely and I hope that the sour grapes from a couple of users do not spoil the possibility of future contests such as this throughout boards.ie.

I meant the etiquette of the rules. Everyone played by them, and thats fine. I'm just a little annoyed they were abused (sore loser, I know).

Sorry for bickering and arguing in a competition thread; and congrats to the winners.

Sin Light said it best above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Monietooth

I suspect that's a touch optimistic and naive. I think in reality the better canvassing people were thanks the most (in some cases anyway) - I know i for one was PM'd by one of those winners complimenting me on my shots and linking to theirs.

As it happens i have no idea how to even thank a post so haven't thanked anybody's :p

Advertisement