Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[COMPETITION] In Cork, Dublin, Galway or Limerick? Take a photo and you could win.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Monietooth wrote: »
    I suspect that's a touch optimistic and naive. I think in reality the better canvassing people were thanks the most (in some cases anyway) - I know i for one was PM'd by one of those winners complimenting me on my shots and linking to theirs.

As it happens i have no idea how to even thank a post so haven't thanked anybody's

Firstly, I actually loved your b&w photograph. It was certainly one of the best shots, IMO.

Secondly, are you sure the person was canvassing in order to gain a thanks from you? Did they expressly ask this? Perhaps they merely wanted your opinion on their photography? The reason I mention this is that all of the winners have above 10 posts. They would each be aware that it requires a user to have 10 posts before they are capable of thanking someone. So, they would know, based on your current amount of posts that you would not have the ability to thank.

P.S. When you do reach 10 posts, there will be a thumbs up sign in the bottom-right corner of a post which will enable you to thank someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Monietooth

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Firstly, I actually loved your b&w photograph. It was certainly one of the best shots, IMO.

Secondly, are you sure the person was canvassing in order to gain a thanks from you? Did they expressly ask this? Perhaps they merely wanted your opinion on their photography? The reason I mention this is that all of the winners have above 10 posts. They would each be aware that it requires a user to have 10 posts before they are capable of thanking someone. So, they would know, based on your current amount of posts that you would not have the ability to thank.

P.S. When you do reach 10 posts, there will be a thumbs up sign in the bottom-right corner of a post which will enable you to thank someone.
    First, thanks :)

Second, no I'm not sure at all, i'm just adding 2+2 and making an assumption. Just because i have less than 10 posts doesn't mean they noticed that if they were sending out multiple PMs. I might be wrong, but I suspect that at least one person won the camera more because they went working for thanks than because of their photos. As others have said, there's nothing against that in the rules, so in that sense you can't complain too much (and indeed i'm not, i'm just pointing it out), but I do think it's not what was intended, and i agree with the poster that said a fairer way might have been to just judge all of the prizes in the same way as the TV prize.

And thanks for the explanation about the thanks button!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

First, thanks :)

Second, no I'm not sure at all, i'm just adding 2+2 and making an assumption. Just because i have less than 10 posts doesn't mean they noticed that if they were sending out multiple PMs. I might be wrong, but I suspect that at least one person won the camera more because they went working for thanks than because of their photos. As others have said, there's nothing against that in the rules, so in that sense you can't complain too much (and indeed i'm not, i'm just pointing it out), but I do think it's not what was intended, and i agree with the poster that said a fairer way might have been to just judge all of the prizes in the same way as the TV prize.

And thanks for the explanation about the thanks button!

Assumptions are dangerous and just because you got a pm doesn't mean someone was sending out multiple pms.

And no problem about the thanks. ;)

Sure, and they may not have been, but i suspect that the concern expressed by someone when the plan was announced to have the winners decided by a 'thanks tally' - ie that it would become a popularity contest and a winner coming from who could solicit the most thanks rather than quality of shot - did in fact come true.

I think there's some great shots that received much fewer thanks (and i'm not talking about mine btw! lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Sure, and they may not have been, but i suspect that the concern expressed by someone when the plan was announced to have the winners decided by a 'thanks tally' - ie that it would become a popularity contest and a winner coming from who could solicit the most thanks rather than quality of shot - did in fact come true.

I think there's some great shots that received much fewer thanks (and i'm not talking about mine btw! lol)

I'm in one of your pictures, so naturally I am biased towards it! :pac:

• Advertisement

rc_irl wrote: »
    I'm in one of your pictures, no naturally I am biased towards it! :pac:

OK, I lied :confused: It was SinLight's photograph I am in!

Good, cos the only people in mine were some guys that wouldn't move out of the way no matter how long i waited! lol

Good, cos the only people in mine were some guys that wouldn't move out of the way no matter how long i waited! lol

Your loss! :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

compwned

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

rc_irl wrote: »
    OK, I lied :confused: It was SinLight's photograph I am in!

And yet you didnt thank for it :) lol - only messing :) time to go out guys have fun and leave it for Sunday hangover :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i find this thread has become weird in fact sad - would people honestly be so desperate to actually canvass to win - its becoming like boards own x-factor -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

thebaz wrote: »
    i find this thread has become weird in fact sad - would people honestly be so desperate to actually canvass to win - its becoming like boards own x-factor -

All these comps are Barry.. total waste of time. Never bother me arse with them.
    Then people moan and groan when a judged competition doesn't reflect their views. :rolleyes:

Had a skip through the whole thread and while it's not a c+c thread this is a photography forum so I hope I'm not over stepping the barrier when I say: jeez...on the whole there was some pretty appalling abuses of cameras going on. A lot of truely woeful shots. Ok I think the participants had their work cut out as the promotion itself was bland but surely a bit of imagination could have been used.

There were a few exception that raised the bar to Ok but on the whole this thread makes a pretty sad case for photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

^ oh, bit harsh

foto joe wrote: »
    ^ oh, bit harsh

Not using these eyes.

humberklog wrote: »
    Not using these eyes.

These either.

Sometimes I think people get a camera and want to learn how the electronics work/react and on finding it out see success and leave their brains behind.

I think there's something to be said for some people having a natural 'eye' for photograph too, and logically other people that don't have it.

The people that don't might still love taking photographs, just like someone who's naturally not a talented football player might love playing a weekly football game.

There's some very good photos in this thread, there's some pretty iffy ones.

I think it's also worth pointing out that by and large the actual locations were terrible in terms of being photogenic. There really wasn't much of an opportunity to make some of those places look any good.

That being said it was a bit of fun trying, and I'm glad of the opportunity. I'd definitely love to see more comps like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There were a few exception that raised the bar to Ok but on the whole this thread makes a pretty sad case for photography.

Can we see your attempts?

Wasn't going to respond to this but I think it's a bit rich for you both to come in on your high horses and look down at other peoples work without bringing an offering to the table yourself.

The assignment in question didn't lend itself easily to creativity, if you gave it a go you may have agreed. I personally hoped to get closer to the projection but it was switched off 30mins early and I don't know about other locations but the big van the projection company had parked in front of the display didn't help!

A lot of us here are developing our photographic skills and trying new things in a constructive and helpful environment, it's very rude and obnoxious of you to come in with comments such as "on the whole there was some pretty appalling abuses of cameras going on. A lot of truely woeful shots." and "...leave their brains behind".

Sure my photos are on my pix.ie for all to be viewed whenever. I don't have any of that event as I wasn't around/in the mood/cared/knew about it. Doesn't mean I can't comment on the photos as a whole that were put forward. It is a photography forum and often competitions and the enties would be discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Sure my photos are on my pix.ie for all to be viewed whenever. I don't have any of that event as I wasn't around/in the mood/cared/knew about it. Doesn't mean I can't comment on the photos as a whole that were put forward. It is a photography forum and often competitions and the enties would be discussed.

The point is that shooting moving light projections at night that are not under your control is a particularly difficult endeavour. Without having taken part you are, quite frankly, talking out your ass.

It is a photography forum and often competitions and the enties would be discussed.

Absolutely agree but your comments were not in any way constructive, just a blanket dismissal and belittling of the efforts of others.

Zillah wrote: »
    The point is that shooting moving light projections at night that are not under your control is a particularly difficult endeavour. Without having taken part you are, quite frankly, talking out your ass.

Kinda disagree here, while in general and more often than not I probably am but in this case I think not. So what if it was moving light? So what if the subject matter was bland and the locations difficult? They're just conditions to get over. I just think that on the whole the pics are less than poor and completely lacking any inventiveness or creativeness to get over these conditions to come up with something interesting.

For all the reasons put forward as to why the pics are bad all I see are pics where the photographer allowed the enviroment determine the picture. Bland crap enviroment equals bland crap pics? Sure that's hardly an inventive equations.

It's just a generalised opinion, I don't mean to offend.

Humberklog is a much more articulate man than me. +1 to all of that.

Though being the devils advocate, doing something original would probably not win you anything. Except self satisfaction that is. :D

Covey wrote: »
    +1 to all of that.

Yes original thinking is good.... :rolleyes:

Indeed it is (without the rolling eyes) !

And original photography's not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Humberklog, it has been already mentioned here that this forum is not an exclusive club, quite rightly. It is open to anyone that has an interest in photography with no limits on their ability. The whole point here is to help each other and not to have posters efforts run completely into the ground without offering any constructive advise on how to improve. Saying that photo's were "less than poor and completely lacking any inventiveness or creativeness to get over these conditions to come up with something interesting" and leaving it at that when you yourself said you weren't "around/in the mood/cared/knew about it" is poor in itself. Maybe you could supply us with a tutorial on how to get around some of the problems that we all seem to have, rather that taking the Simon Cowel attitude.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Maybe you could supply us with a tutorial on how to get around some of the problems that we all seem to have, rather that taking the Simon Cowel attitude.

Maybe...but no. No tutorials, only advice would be is to at least attempt something inventive.

These kinda assignments are essentially colouring in competition, the kind you'd see in The Herald at xmas; Noddy in a car and trees in the background. Well everybody to my eye coloured his car the correct colour, and noddy's clothes and the trees. Everyone's kept their markers within the lines and everyone has used the right marker to the oppropriate colour number. And everyones has signed it nicely and addressed it correctly, stuck a stamp on it and posted it to the paper. The same pic, with all the same colours from all the same perspective...and it's this lack of imagination running through so many people that I don't like.
    Use paints, glue and crushed up wheatabix, get 10 newspapers and cut the bejayzuz out out Noddy and arrange him tied backwards onto a hand drawn donkey and then spray the whole mess blue. Anything but use the same markers as everyone else, in the exact same places, with the exact same tidy penmanship.

One thing I'd have though about for this competition? Camera obscura. But that's not a tutorial, just a suggestion.

• Advertisement

I can't get over the high an mighty attitute, hope I'm not missing the sarcasm! :eek:

Maybe something like this would have really ticked the artistic boxes?....
    arty.jpg

Maybe mention it was taken on out of date film with an old film camera with film in it.
    Only poking fun by the way!!! ;) (do like your work)

But seriously, it's not constructive to put down other peoples work without either presenting an alternative or being more helpful in your comments. Surely a 42" TV would have been enough incentive to enter the colouring-in competition? Sounds like it would have been an easy win. If it didn't interest you ya could have sold it and bought something else! I think there are some excellent entries in this competition, there are two especially that go well beyond your "OK" level imo.
    And original photography's not?

Of course it is, I think you might have missed my point there! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

These kinda assignments are essentially colouring in competition, the kind you'd see in The Herald at xmas; Noddy in a car and trees in the background. Well everybody to my eye coloured his car the correct colour,

and what colour was that? What were the prerequisites that we all followed? Id appreciate if you could explain that as i dont quite understand

101001 wrote: »
    and what colour was that? What were the prerequisites that we all followed? Id appreciate if you could explain that as i dont quite understand

noddyREX2711_468x362.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@abulens- I like your shot, darker image that the other, different angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

WTF i coulda sworn noddy had a red hat! Look at me learnin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Looking at some of the names that thanked a lot of the entries it's obvious that some contestants canvassed people from other parts of boards to come and vote for their entry. Lots of those names have never surfaced here before either in the random photo thread or the assignment threads. Nothing wrong with that, it was within the rules, but is it within the spirit of the rules?

I too think the judges should have chosen all of the prizes.
    However it was a good competition and it's always interesting to see other peoples take on a given subject.
    Congrats to all the winners - some really great shots there.

In all fairness, some of those photos in the set that were thanked most were ludicrously bad and there were many, many other photos posted which were of a much better standard then these. Perhaps, beforehand, it might've been prudent to consider how easy it would be to manipulate this competition. Or maybe the masses just don't have an eye for photography. I dunno. Just MHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I've read the majority of the thread leaving out some of the last few comments as I am too impatient and wanted to comment.

Firstly fotojoe, whilst I have thanked and somewhat mirror what humberlog and covey have to say I do appreciate you have had submitted some lovely pictures and you know what, I think that one at the top looks class,

I didnt have the time to go out and take pics for this, also dont like the cold so I'd say the only time I would be would if as mentione dpreviously in the thread Audi had a competition like this then I'd be out like a shot. There are some good entries here, I have thanked those that I like just now just to put my stamp on it, fotojoe yours were some of them but I was quite suprised by some which I immediately thought, before reading further to the thread, would have been down to more a popularity thing.

The photography section is not a private club and nobody is saying it is, but if there is a competition for photography you would think that photography of quality would win and not photography with the most mates. I'm sure the same opinion would be stated if it were a competition for web design in that forum, or car modifcation in that forum etc etc etc

Maybe going on from here if a similar competition were to run then the mods may be given the task of judging or regulars who state they will not enter will judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

All, I appreciate there are strong sentiments being stated here by a few of you. You know what? Maybe the "Thanks" system wasn't the best method for this competition, but, it's the one we went with and they won their prizes as per the rules of the competition.

If the mods had picked the winners, they'd have been open to accusations of bias. Same as me. Same as anyone. There's really no fair way of doing this to make it completely transparent and open (that I have found/been told) but that's something we'll try to do for the next one.

Just how it's going to proceed from here - I'm going to send over 10 of my favourite shots to UPC, they'll let me know their favourite, that's who will win the prize.

I'll be back tomorrow to announce who that is.

Thanks

Darragh

Just for future reference, what we do in our college photo-soc is find an independent photographer that doesn't know anyone in the competition and get them to pick the winners. They're usually flattered to be asked to judge a competition and are very willing.

The only other problem is it can be very subjective (made clear by some earlier comments!), so ideally you'd want the combined views/votes of 2 or 3 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

As an amateur photographer I've really enjoyed this competition. I presume the excercise of posting it on boards.ie was to get amateurs to go out and see what they could do. Congrats to the winners!

It was great looking at what others were able to capture and would definitely participate in something similar again. Everybodys got to start somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Just for future reference, what we do in our college photo-soc is find an independent photographer that doesn't know anyone in the competition and get them to pick the winners. They're usually flattered to be asked to judge a competition and are very willing.

The only other problem is it can be very subjective (made clear by some earlier comments!), so ideally you'd want the combined views/votes of 2 or 3 people.

Or... maybe you need to earn the ability to be allowed to vote by entering a photo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hi folks,

I've heard back from UPC and the winner they've chosen is SinLight for this photo:

5-748x499.jpg

The quality of entries has really impressed UPC and Pembroke Communications and there may well be an option for them to run further competitions with us.

Thank you all for entering and for spending your time on this.

Best wishes

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rita11

Congrats on Winning the Comp great stuff, well done on your photos.

SinLight wrote: »
    Great results guys so far - loving the shots. Its the middle of the night if not early morning, but it was worth it as the weather was nice.

I must admit it was funny to see how people approach the subject from different angles :) .

Probably a bit different in every city. You've got to love Boland Mills...thank you for giving me the reason to get up :) .

4-748x499.jpg

3-748x499.jpg

1-748x499.jpg

2-e1272939926848.jpg

Added from the second day (figured I will not be doing the double post, from the obvious reasons :) )

6ver1-e1273110648231.jpg

9-e1273110737472.jpg

7-748x499.jpg

8-e1273111285481.jpg

5-748x499.jpg

I figured on the spot to try to do some timelapse - and this I think is the fastest and worst timelapse ever, thus only on the blog :) at this link, if you guys are interested:

http://bigsmokestudio.com/blog/blueskies-competition/

(hopefully will be rendered by morning :)).

Please have a look at the bigger versions of photos that can be found here - as these up here do loose a fair bit of quality:

http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4577330217&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4577962126&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4577329817&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4577961944&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4582168465&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4582799126&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4582168883&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4582798590&size=large
    http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=4582167907&size=large

Thanks
    Peter

Well done SinLight, I didn't know if it was going to yourself or Zillah. I'd say UPC went for the vibrance of that one... I can picture some ad content on the right of it already! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Congrats sinlight!:) when i first saw your updated post with that picture i had a feeling you'd blow away any competition with it;)

Congrats Sinlight - yours was definitely the quality of the competition imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Well done Sunlight, a deserved winner, don't think anyone can take that away from you. One of the few pictures that made say wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Congrats to Sinlight and the other prize winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Yupieeeee!!!!!

Thanks very much guys!

Much appreciated - hopefully we get more of those coming soon.

One more time - thank you for kind words.

Regards

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭monkeyman

Congrats on the comp SinLinght. Like your 5th one also. Like a spaceship floating around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Well done Peter - thoroughly deserved.

Nice to have met you that night - BTW you got me in your winning image :) now where do I sign the model release?

• Advertisement
Advertisement