Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Drivers in Eyre Square

Options
  • 29-04-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that taxi drivers seem to blocking up the bottom of the square there by Garveys. The queue of taxis sometimes goes around the corner there at Garveys, close to Centra.

When you are driving into the Square from Forster Court the taxis waiting in the queue make it very difficult to turn right and head for Prospect Hill.

Some of them park in the middle of the road, and make it very hard to take the turn. Is there not some law against the doing this? Its really starting to get on my tits, as i have to take that turn alot......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Surprise Surprise. Where are all the Guards to sort this out. Eating doghnuts again.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

I was told by a taxi driver who was giving out about this himself, that they were told to go there after being moved by Gardai from outside Citylink...although some of them still wait there too!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I saw one taxi, parked right in front of the pedestrian lights at the corner, and he refused to move to let a bus take the sharp turn, the whole square was held up.

Something must be done about this!!!!

/rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Yeah, they've been doing that since the Square's been redeveloped. I do have a certain sympathy for them if they've nowhere else to park but they really shouldn't clog up the very corner - and some do even park on the pedestrian crossing, which not only obstructs walkers, but is also the narrowest, most akward spot. They should be forced to park further back but again, then they wouldn't know when there's a space around the corner.

A mirror or something would fix that. Or fewer taxis. We can't just keep building ranks for them.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Yeah, they've been doing that since the Square's been redeveloped. I do have a certain sympathy for them if they've nowhere else to park but they really shouldn't clog up the very corner - and some do even park on the pedestrian crossing, which not only obstructs walkers, but is also the narrowest, most akward spot. They should be forced to park further back but again, then they wouldn't know when there's a space around the corner.

A mirror or something would fix that. Or fewer taxis. We can't just keep building ranks for them.
    There's plenty of ranks for them around the city, but i suppose the most lucrative spot for them is the square though.

With the amount of them thats in it, i cant understand how they make any money at all, i suppose that explains why they queue up there as well.

No excuse though, they are causing a major pain in the ring to other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Supply and demand.

If there wasn't money to be made, they wouldn't be there.

Agree that the guards/traffic wardens should police this better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Ya, this is pretty scandalous. But will anything actually be done if complaints are made?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Ya, this is pretty scandalous. But will anything actually be done if complaints are made?

Not a thing. I complained about it over a year ago on numerous occasions and everytime I was driving through town the same crap was happening. I hvae now moved further out of town and don't drive through town as much so it hasn't been bothering me anymore.

They do have a serious attitude problem. When your driving up past O' Connells and just when you get near Fibbers they think they can pull out in front of you just because the "space" on the pedestrian crossing has become vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the problem is also the pedestrian lights, whoever dreamt up putting them there? idiots

if anything they should have been left it as a traffic island like they were before and similar to the ones at richardsons now.
    Thus the taxi's wouldnt be able to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It is a night mare and happening for ages now. Really hard when youre coming from Forster Street and want turn right but cross into the left lane so you can go through town? Cars coming from the docks, cars, usually brash taxis, coming from the bus station, pedestrian lights and youre hoping someone will let you cross lanes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Twice I've ended up inadvertendly joining the taxi queue!! B@stards!.. if you can't see the car ahead you might think it's just traffic then you realise your stuck because people are driving around you and your stuck in that bloody queue. They should be moved or we should be allowed to park in the taxi ranks!!

I came up by them again, just there.

My new plan is to stay in the left lane as if going to the docks (approaching Garveys), swing right then at Garveys going into the left lane to head down eglinton street, go up the road a little bit to avoid the taxis then indicate in right to take the road to Prospect Hill.

Seems to be working. Traffic in town is crazy at the moment! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Not helped by the fact that they have started moving taxis on from outside the coach station (they used to just stop outside on the yellow lines), I have seen wardens there a few times moving them on, if only they would get the wardens to just move up forster st. as well and sort the taxis out there as well, because presumably they're just relocating to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Really annoying when they park on the corner of the Square and block the place up.
    ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Not helped by the fact that they have started moving taxis on from outside the coach station (they used to just stop outside on the yellow lines), I have seen wardens there a few times moving them on, if only they would get the wardens to just move up forster st. as well and sort the taxis out there as well, because presumably they're just relocating to there.

They were backing up into the junction just down from the Coach Station - buses were sometimes not able to get through the junction because of the illegally parked taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I made a point about this hapening on O'Briens bridge a while ago in a different thread, the solution to that problem was put up a metal railing the length of the area where the taxi's used to park, nearly from one end of the bridge to the other.

Not the most ideal and practical solution but it's the only option they appeared to have, bar ticketing all the taxis constantly every time they parked idlely on the double yellow lines...which would have been my choice until they got the f***ing message not to park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

majiktripp wrote: »
    I made a point about this hapening on O'Briens bridge a while ago in a different thread, the solution to that problem was put up a metal railing the length of the area where the taxi's used to park, nearly from one end of the bridge to the other.

Not the most ideal and practical solution but it's the only option they appeared to have, bar ticketing all the taxis constantly every time they parked idlely on the double yellow lines...which would have been my choice until they got the f***ing message not to park there.

That worked on O'Brien's Bridge where they used to park half up on the footpath making it impossible for people with prams/pushchairs and wheelchairs to get by.

There is already a railing and quite a high kerb on the corner of Eyre Square; the taxis just park in the middle of the road blocking cars/buses!!!

KevR wrote: »
    There is already a railing and quite a high kerb on the corner of Eyre Square; the taxis just park in the middle of the road blocking cars/buses!!!

I've seen it when buses cant actually make that turn because they are parked there. The taxi drivers must have necks on them like jockeys bollocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JohnMcManus

Something is being done about it; no new saloon taxi plates being issued after 31st May. This will limit the number of taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

E-mail to the taxi regulator on April 26th, 2010, after a taxi wouldn't let me park on O'Briens Bridge at 3pm, stating that he could block it as he was waiting to pull across onto the Bridge Street rank.
    Fey! wrote:
    Subject: Clarification on where a taxi can use as a rank‏

Dear Sir or Madam.

I wish to have a few isssues clarified with regard to where a taxi can stop and block traffic or parking spaces.

I live in Galway City, which is constantly gridlcked by taxis, and where some city centre streets, such as Flood, Middle and Cross Streets, are now blocked off from use because of taxi behaviour on Saturday nights.

The first enquiry is about the Eyre Square area, where the taxi rank on Eyre Square East has been extended recently from 11am on one end and 6pm on the other. Unfortunately taxis are still blocking a lane of traffic of Forster Street and the junction at Garveys Pub whilst queuing for this section of the rank, forcing motorist into a single lane where there are two lanes on Forster Street, and doing the same to motorists attempting to go through the pedestrian traffic lights ooutside Garveys. At the other end of this rank, taxis regularly block the pedestrian crossing and lights by parking on them whilst queuing for the Prospect Hill section of the rank.

The next issue is in relation to the Bridge Street rank. The alloction of extra spaces on O'Briens Bridge and the erection of barriers on the bridge has relieved the issue somewhat. However, O'Briens Bridge is only scheduled to become a taxi rank at 6pm, and taxis are supposed to face Dominic Street instead of Bridge Street which, despite the arrows on the road, they refuse to do. The bigger issue is that during the day they use this section as an extension to the Bridge Street rank, actively blocking other road users from parking legally. The often do the same on Cross Street Upper at night. Are they allowed do this?

Considering that the taxi were allocated 59 extra part time rank spaces months ago, these issues should no longer exist.

There is, I am aware, a lot of grumbling amongst the taxi drivers that a number of the taxis in use in Galway are licensed for other areas and are therefore not legally in use in Galway.

Finally I come to the issue of lights. Quite a large number of taxis in the Galway area are missing various lights from headlights to brakelights. I came cross one 3 weeks ago which had NO functioning brakelights. Other have a tendency toward using parking lights combined with front foglights instead of their dimmed lights, giving the driver reduced visibility and, especially in wet conditions, blinding oncoming drivers. Considering that non-functioning lightss are enough to fail an NCT, surely non-functioning lights are enough to make these vehicels unroadworthy and therefore unfit as PSVs?

I look forward to your reply outlining whether or not this behaviour is acceptable, as well as what the regulator proposes to do about it.

Regards.

David .......
    Frustrated Motorist

Reply from taxi regulator on April 26th, 2010.
    Dear Mr. .......,

Thank you for your contact with the Commission.

The Commission appreciates your concerns in relation to raising industry standards.

Standing for hire in a place other than an appointed stand is an offence under article 13 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003 (Amendment and Licensing) Regulations 2007 (S.I. 710 of 2007) which provides;

Appointed Stands.

13. (1) The driver of a taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi shall not allow the vehicle to stand at an appointed stand unless the vehicle concerned is available for hire.

(2) The driver of a taxi or wheelchair accessible taxi shall not stand for hire at a place other than an appointed stand.

The Taxi Regulation Act 2003 (Fixed Charge Offences) Regulations 2007 (S.I. 722 of 2007) also designates this as a fixed charge offence attracting a fine of €250. The Commission will issue a fixed charged penalty (FCP) under our regulations when the alleged offence is detected by our Enforcement Officers.

The Gardai also issue their FCP to a taxi driver for ‘standing for hire when not at an appointed stand’, they also have powers under Section 98 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 which prohibits an obstruction being caused on public roads.

All small public service vehicles are required to pass an annual NCT roadworthiness test. The Commission Enforcement Department will follow up on any complaints received in relation to the condition and cleanliness of a vehicle.

Yours sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Has anyone noticed that taxi drivers seem to blocking up the bottom of the square there by Garveys. The queue of taxis sometimes goes around the corner there at Garveys, close to Centra.

When you are driving into the Square from Forster Court the taxis waiting in the queue make it very difficult to turn right and head for Prospect Hill.

Some of them park in the middle of the road, and make it very hard to take the turn. Is there not some law against the doing this? Its really starting to get on my tits, as i have to take that turn alot......

its a problem outside CPs aswell but a lot of taxi drivers are non nationals so the police do not want appear to be 'racist'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The problem here is that too many taxi licences have been granted in Galway city over the past number of years. I remember it used to be a nightmare to get out of town after the pub but now there always seems to be a very plentiful supply of taxis. Apart from a busy Saturday night, I think Galway is one of the easiest towns/cities in Ireland to get a taxi.

The supply/demand issue has developed into an oversupply situation, and Galway hasn't been hit half as hard as most other places by the recession (in terms of it's social scene solely). Any taxi driver in Galway will tell you the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Choas there thsis eve because there are tractor's lined up by the Buses for a charity event..so basically there's taractors, then buses, then the two lanes and the taxis..5 lanes of traffic..I'm all for charity but maybe move it to the Skeff side?? Had a nightmare trying to get to the left lane again, with everyone ignoring the traffic lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

deccurley wrote: »
    The problem here is that too many taxi licences have been granted in Galway city over the past number of years. I remember it used to be a nightmare to get out of town after the pub but now there always seems to be a very plentiful supply of taxis. Apart from a busy Saturday night, I think Galway is one of the easiest towns/cities in Ireland to get a taxi.

The supply/demand issue has developed into an oversupply situation, and Galway hasn't been hit half as hard as most other places by the recession (in terms of it's social scene solely). Any taxi driver in Galway will tell you the same.

Too many for what?

How can you tell what would be "enough" taxis?

AFAICS, taxis are one of the areas where economics actually works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Choas there thsis eve because there are tractor's lined up by the Buses for a charity event..so basically there's taractors, then buses, then the two lanes and the taxis..5 lanes of traffic..I'm all for charity but maybe move it to the Skeff side?? Had a nightmare trying to get to the left lane again, with everyone ignoring the traffic lights!

Saw that, couldnt go up outside the skeff cause gob****es parking on the pedestrian bit outside the eyre square centre entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

JustMary wrote: »
    AFAICS, taxis are one of the areas where economics actually works well.
    Eh, economics would say that a glut in the market should decrease prices, and less competitive companies/individuals should be pushed out of the business. The opposite has happened here for three main reasons -
    1) Taxi drivers are getting fewer fares, so they have no incentive to decrease the fares that they do get.
    2) Drivers are not allowed to advertise lower fares even if they wanted to, the best they can do is hand out discount cards. This introduces a primary distortion in the market, namely that the consumer should be fully informed.
    3) There really aren't a lot of alternatives in terms of employment for many drivers, so they can't exit the market.

The end result is that consumers end up paying more and taxi drivers end up getting less work, a lose lose. Yes, its easier to get a taxi, but it was never that hard to get a taxi anyway during the daytime, and you're still queueing up on a Saturday night or during holidays.

If stable alternative employment could be found for drivers we might see some improvement in the situation.

Advertisement