Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tip for pumping with a mini pump to reasonably high pressure. (any more?)

• 29-04-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

I had a wheel off and was pumping it on a table, I usually hold the pump end at the valve firmly while pumping with the other arm. This time I rested a block of wood under the pump so I was able to pump it much more forcefully, and I could switch sides better as one arm was totally rested, not having to oppose the force of the other arm. I also rested it up against a tree and butted the pump valve end up against the tree- again allowing a much more forceful pump, and much easier too. This is probably old news to some. You have to sort of angle it so the valve is not coming out crooked, or that you are putting force on the spokes rather than the butt of the pump.

Any other tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

rubadub wrote: »
    I had a wheel off and was pumping it on a table, I usually hold the pump end at the valve firmly while pumping with the other arm. This time I rested a block of wood under the pump so I was able to pump it much more forcefully, and I could switch sides better as one arm was totally rested, not having to oppose the force of the other arm. I also rested it up against a tree and butted the pump valve end up against the tree- again allowing a much more forceful pump, and much easier too. This is probably old news to some. You have to sort of angle it so the valve is not coming out crooked, or that you are putting force on the spokes rather than the butt of the pump.

Any other tips?

Do yourself a big favour, and buy yourself a track pump.:D As for emergency repairs, on the road. Try a co2 inflator, using a mini pump can really give you very sore wrists and elbows.:eek:
    I carry a mini pump, I would only consider using it in an emergency:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, I have a track pump at home, but was getting a fair few punctures lately. Pumping doesn't bother me, I do a bit of weightlifting and I just see it as more arm exercise! it is just I usually could not inflate to a reasonable pressure after fixing a flat on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CO2 costs 60c or whatever in bulk. A new tube costs €5.

So mini pumps are only worth carrying as an insurance policy against multiple punctures in one ride, unless you are so frugal that you will patch a tube 10 or 20 times before replacing it.

Track pump for home, CO2 for out on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

you need more practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You won't get up to a proper road tyre pressure with a mini pump no matter how strong you are. I've broken pumps in the past trying. I quite like my Topeak Pocket Rocket but it is for emergencies.

CO2 is literally instant inflation. The pump is a necessary backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

blorg wrote: »
    You won't get up to a proper road tyre pressure with a mini pump no matter how strong you are. I've broken pumps in the past trying. I quite like my Topeak Pocket Rocket but it is for emergencies.

CO2 is literally instant inflation. The pump is a necessary backup.

depends, for front wheel and ~90psi i've gotten that out of my mini-pump several times without too much hassle its just slow/boring. CO2 is really where its at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, I have a track pump at home, but was getting a fair few punctures lately. Pumping doesn't bother me, I do a bit of weightlifting and I just see it as more arm exercise! it is just I usually could not inflate to a reasonable pressure after fixing a flat on the road.

Weight lifting????:eek: Im a cyclist, I have arms like a girl:D
    I say put down those heavy barbels, before you give your self a hernia;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

Dumb question time. Does the CO2 inflate the tire completely or does it just top it up after using the mini pump?

treborm wrote: »
    Dumb question time. Does the CO2 inflate the tire completely or does it just top it up after using the mini pump?

Inflates completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Steer wide port side of CO2. It's heavier than air. You'd wear yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Do you CO2 guys just carry CO2 & no mini pump?
    My LBS advised the opposite (not for racing mind), he said the mini pump will "get you home". Just wondering if I would be better carrying CO2 instead or as well.
    Anyway it is all academic for me as I have been benched since December with back problems so I'm not sure why I'm asking! :confused

For normal cycling I have hybrid mini pump which carries one CO2 cartridge/ When this is attached to the frame I don't have to carry anything in pockets apart from a tiny patch kit.

For racing I now just carry a tiny CO2 valve and a catridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I carry mini pump and CO2. If I'm patching a tube I'll test with the pump first, then inflate fully with CO2. If I'm just changing a tube, I'll just use the CO2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Do you CO2 guys just carry CO2 & no mini pump?
    My LBS advised the opposite (not for racing mind), he said the mini pump will "get you home". Just wondering if I would be better carrying CO2 instead or as well.
    Anyway it is all academic for me as I have been benched since December with back problems so I'm not sure why I'm asking! :confused
    Carry both, the pump is a backup. The CO2 is instant and works most of the time... but a pump doesn't run out!

Advertisement