Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almost considered selling my bike

• 29-04-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Was considering going full cage and selling the bike to reduce costs while getting myself a nice mondeo. But sitting in traffic in the car this morning, thought to myself, F*CK THAT! Nothing worse than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic while the oh so efficient road workers get the traffic flowing.

**The reason i was in a car is that i fudged my back up, can't be carrying things on the bike :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Definitely keep the bike! Get a top box and put your stuff in that. I find a bag on my back when I'm on the bike causes pain. Even get a tank bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm seriously considering selling mine at the moment. As in the other thread I'm sick of the ****e I have to put up with on a daily basis from stupid road users. The benefits don't out weight the negatives anymore for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering selling mine at the moment. As in the other thread I'm sick of the ****e I have to put up with on a daily basis from stupid road users. The benefits don't out weight the negatives anymore for me.

Well, i can argue, the time i save on the bike compared to the car on my commute from lucan to blanchardstown is about half an hour, 15 mins on the bike vs 45 mins in the car, unless i fork out money for the toll, which i will never do. Plus the stress caused by being stuck in traffic is just downright annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Go back to a 3 hour daily commute? Never.

Op, have you considered buying something small, like a one litre micra? Cheap to tax, insure and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I had to get the bus the other day, holy fúck, i nearly used the 'shatter glass' hammer on myself!

My commute is 10 mins into the city centre in the mornings, on the bus it could take anywhere from 50 - 60 mins. Deffo not worth it. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mattblacktiger

Don't do it.
    You'll end up regretting it
    It's the one constant thruout my life since I started riding
    I have never not had a bike , just can't imagine not owning one.
    Have ya ever just got on your bike to clear your head and all of a sudden your 150 miles away and life seems okay again.
    I left work one time back in Dublin after a poxy day and the boss being all over me and got on me bike and just pissed off ,ended up in Donegal and came back the next day. Got fired but didn't matter as all was well in my world and the job sucked anyway......

So try the bus or car for a week and then get on yer bike and piss off down the country doesn't matter where , stay somewhere overnight or even grab a rally and meander home again the next day and see if that changes your mind.

A good friend of mine quit biking cos of his missus and he's been a miserable oul bollix ever since , unfortunately he got divorced but the first thing he did was buy a bike , an old triumph 650 and he's a different man , and enjoying himself again
    Anyway best of luck but give it a real think as you are pretty passionate about biking going by your posts and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

i no where your coming from,but mine is financial,been riding and owned a bike continually for the last 24 years,at the stage now where it's a luxury and desperately need a car for the family(have a van) trouble is the bike is me and the mrs only form of a get out to free ourselves of triles and tribulations,would break my heart to sell the bike but family need to get out and about,oh what to do.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Got out on my new bike today for the first time in 13 years. It was a training session out by Tallaght. Jaysus, I have to say, it felt so damn good to be on two wheels again.

I'm selling my car at the moment (the opposite of what's being discussed on this thread, I suppose!) - even though the past year has seen a plummet in car prices when selling second-hand. Still, it'll be worth it.

Keep on to the aul bike if you can. Get a cheap car for the family (PM me and I'll sell ya mine!).

Advertisement