Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red velvet cake for new years day wedding

Options
  • 29-04-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi, my fianceé wanted a red velvet cake made american style for our wedding on new years day but not many people seem to know how to make it and are quoting crazy prices to make it. anyone able to help me? i'm just looking fo 3tiers - 8', 10' and 12' inch with cream cheese frosting!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭silent gav

Hey rurz.

Just sent you a PM

Hope it's helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

My clients like this one. Though well and professionally made wedding cakes are not that cheap, you know. Usually you get for what you've paid.

HERSHEY'S Red Velvet Cake

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
    2 tablespoons (one 1-oz. bottle) red food color
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    1 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    1 can (16-oz. can) ready-to-spread vanilla frosting
    HERSHEY'S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate or HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips(optional)

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13x9-inch baking pan.**

2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir together buttermilk and food color. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost; garnish with chocolate chips, if desired. About 15 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

VARIATION: For heart shapes: Using open-topped heart-shaped cookie cutter (at least 1-1/2 inches deep and 3-inches wide), cut cake into 12 hearts. Frost and decorate as directed.

**Cake can also be baked in two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost as desired.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=5058

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

It's strange to see anyone discuss Red Velvet Cakes here in Ireland! My mother has been baking crazy and I believe the reason she got into this whole mess is because when we lived on an American Post in Italy she befriended a woman who's husband was a chef for the u.s army and he gave her his grandma's recipe! That cake is amazing but the key to it is to have it so it is NOT identified as a CHOCOLATE CAKE. So many people get that wrong. You are only ment to add a fraction of cocoa powder to the mixture. You can tell how authentic the recipe by how deep the red colouring on the cake sponge are. The darker, the more cocoa added.
    It should also only be made with a cream cheese frosting best made from scratch. Cake Man Raven has a good recipe on his website. He is known in the states for having one of the best Red Velvet Cakes around.

All the best and I hope you get the wedding cake you so desire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i absolutely love red velvet cake, i make the one from the magnolia book but it recommends it with a vanilla frosting..made it again the other day, such a huge recipe, incredibly tasty though and bright red!!!

dream c where do you get your hersheys chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I do not use them as my cakes are always decorated in sugarpaste. It's up to my clients what way they want to eat THEIR cake. :) But I presume ordinary choco chips would do. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

tfak85 - I have that book and have been ogling the red velvet recipe for some time now, good to see that someone can recommend it. Can I ask what red colouring you use? Do you use gel colours or just the regular little supermarket bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i just use the regular supermarket stuff as the recipe calls for 6tablespoons :eek: which is three whole little bottles, the one i made the other day i used only two little bottles and it turned out lovely and red still!

i have another book by a bakery called baked and their recipe uses only 2tablespoons but i don't think it's as vibrant as the magnolia one! you should make it - so tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

According to Wikipedia, beetroots were once used for colour/moisture for red velvet cake. For those who don't like using artificial colouring, you can get beetroot extract in most Eastern European shops. It's actually a common enough bakeshop ingredient. And at those amounts, it shouldn't overpower the taste of anything else.

Advertisement