Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So disgusted, angry and upset

Options
  • 29-04-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wanted to let you know what kind of awful people there are out there... I moved into where im living almost a year ago, its a very large estate. I'm the type of person that keeps myself to myself and that goes for my partner also. We have had a lot of trouble with our neighbours, they are very loud, baby cries CONSTANTLY, the walls are very thin so you can hear a lot. They are just not nice people fullstop. My partner woke up one morning to both his front tyres let down which resulted him being late for work and having to pay €200 for them to be replaced as they has dismantled them in some way. The same thing happened to my car about a month ago and we realised that it wasn't just kids playing. We've had awful notes put through our door and its just generally annoyance and stress. So today my partner came home and there was a note put through the door from our local ISPCA saying they received a formal complaint about our dogs. Immediately we were both upset and knew straight away it was them. I phoned the ISPCA lady and she said there was an anon phone call stating that we are "neglecting our dogs, they are without water, food and shelter" I just want to let you know that this most certainly is not the case, they are both so well looked after, they are fed every morning and have a huuuge bowl of water in the garden and we actually bought a garden shed for them to sleep in during the day, they sleep inside with us at night time. She said she needed to come to the house and check the dogs to make sure that everything is ok. She is coming tomorrow evening to do her check, she is just doing her job. When I phoned my partner to let him know what she had said he was in the garden on the phone to me and he was very angry and shocked and in his anger said to me "whoever it is i feel like throwing a brick through their window" It was just a comment out of anger, not a threat. Next minute the doorbell rings and the neighbour is standing there. When my partner opened the door he said "So you're going to throw a brick through my window are ya??" He was squaring up to my partner at our front door!!!!! He was in his own back garden and had over heard what my partner had said. In other words he's after shooting himself totally in the foot because we know it was definitely them!! I am totally furious!:mad: I can't believe they would stoop this low! People are so pathetic, I dont even know what has started this off. What can I do about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Are you renting or do you own the property? If renting, MOVE!!! Definitely as this is only going to get worse in my opinion, and the landlord should give you back the deposit if you let them know whats happening.

Thats really bad what they said about your dogs, but you've nothing to worry about, but I would worry what they could do to your dogs while your not home. Not trying to scare you but its very possible that they could harm the dogs while your not around (its very easy to throw poisoned meat over the wall) and these troublemakers will probably be annoyed when they see your dogs are still around after their complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

That is a terribly difficult situation to be in.
    I would be very wary of these type of people, as the OP said. If possible I would definitely bring them indoors when you are away during the day. People who would stoop so low as to call the ISPCA for absolutely no reason, probably wouldn't think twice about poisoning your dogs.
    People of that mentality cannot be reasoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

cctv can be pretty cheap, you catch them on it doing some thing and you can get an order making them stay away form the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Cctv is a good idea - also keep any notes and show them to the police. I'd definitely keep the dogs indoors as your neighbours sound capable of hurting them in some way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just wondering, do you want this in API or would you prefer it moved somewhere else? As it seems to be a very serious issue with your neighbours (not specifically your dogs) and another forum might be better able to advise you in this situation.

If you just want advice on the ISPCA type thing then I can leave it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's absolutely dreadful to have something like that happen, and nearly worse that we're suggesting that having CCTV installed both back and front of your house isn't a bad idea if you've got neighbours like that. If you do go down the CCTV route you'll need to make sure that all angels of your back garden are covered so that you can see where your dogs normally sleep/play/sit is covered, as well as along your neighbours' fence (just make sure that the cameras don't actually record any part of their property, or you'll be in trouble) and the side gate.

Would it be worth going to the guards over the threatening and intimidating behaviour of your neighbours? Keeping a log of all incidents, no matter how minor, and including the slashed tyres, would also be a good idea, so if there is a problem further down the line you can produce your notebook.

Regarding the dogs, is there any way you could keep them in the house when you and your OH are away? Or leave them with somebody else? That way you'll know they'll be safe.

Regarding the visit from the ISPCA: you know your dogs are well looked after so you should have nothing to worry about. They've got shelter and adequate access to water and a decent sized 'run'/garden, so it should all be fine.

The worst thing about this is that her time and resources are being wasted checking up on dogs that, from your description, appear well looked after, while there's 100s or 1,000s of other dogs out there who need help and can't get it because the ISPCA's resources are stretched to the limits.

star-pants wrote: »
    Just wondering, do you want this in API or would you prefer it moved somewhere else? As it seems to be a very serious issue with your neighbours (not specifically your dogs) and another forum might be better able to advise you in this situation.

Oops... didn't see your post till after I posted - Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

convert wrote: »
    (just make sure that the cameras don't actually record any part of their property, or you'll be in trouble) .
    I should point out that keeping the cameras hidden is a good idea , also if you are having probs making sure that you do not get their garden in shot just put some tape on the window it is pointing threw/ lense cover if it is in a housing

plus are they renting ??? getting them kicked out is a maybe:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gone With The W

Hi just to let you know youre not alone. my husband and I had similar issues with our neighbours. they had tried on numerous occasions to cause trouble for us with the dog warden. when that didnt work they tried to poison them with cigarette butts in their water and throwing decomposing rats into their food bowl. we ended up having to go to the guards and putting up cctv. they got the message and now they leave us alone. it was our first home together but because of their lies most of the neighbours dont talk to us anymore so we are selling our house. the guards will tell you to keep a notebook of every incident with them and be exact. time date, who was present, what was said, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

That's awful that they just took a dislike to you and your dogs for no reason at all. Really to avoid further trouble and stress, I would think about moving if you can. It's not worth living next to somebody like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is certainly an awful situation to be in. but, to be honest, I think it's not a pet issue. The ISPCA incident is just one aspect of a bigger problem. The ISPCA will see through this straight away so I'd not worry on that score. You have a problem but I feel it's really for another forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just a thought - are you home all day or out all day, and if you're out have you any idea if your dogs bark?

If you've no idea, set up a web cam and record them for the day, see what they're up to in the yard. Your neighbours could just be pricks, or they could be driven mental by your dogs barking when you're not home. If that's the case it could also explain awful notes through the door and tyres let down (I know, I know, adults shouldn't manage their interactions with other adults like that, but hey.)

Just a thought - and you'll most probably be fine with the ISPCA lady - just make sure you have your dog licences and your vaccine cards and all that jazz, to demonstrate that you're responsible in both care of the dogs and the letter of the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jujuB

star-pants wrote: »

Yes starpants, you can move it. I'm so furious! :mad: Was woken up early this morning by the doorbell. Went down to answer it and there was a guy there saying that he was here to tow my car?!?! I said why?! It's my car and its parked in MY parking space. He said he received a complaint for it to be towed away. I told him that the reason the tyres are not fixed is because I simply do not have the money to spend on them. He was absolutely mortified and apologised for disturbing me. Surely because I pay for my parking space I can park my car there when it has a slashed tyre?? I don't know what on earth they are playing at?! I have no idea where this has come from? In the last two days its just been too much. We are going to the Guards tonight to talk to them. Then I will be calling my landlord to make a serious complaint! i think the neighbours own the house, we are renting to buy. What to do about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

jujuB wrote: »
    Then I will be calling my landlord to make a serious complaint! i think the neighbours own the house, we are renting to buy. What to do about that?

Move. Find another house under the rent to buy scheme. Even if you do buy the house and in 5 years you decide to move, you will not be able to sell the house with neighbours like that. Since they are that vindictive, they will try to disrupt sales viewings. Trust me, I have seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Dear OP. I'm so sorry to hear this. I would suggest to move to. I know it's a massive hassle but for peace of mind especially for the dogs I'd move if I were you.

If not definitely get some CCTV cameras as suggested above. Have them in the garden, front of the house and in the side passage if there's one. Just make sure NOT to film next door as that'll be a breach of their privacy.

Also log all this down with dates and times and go to the guards. It seems to be escalating. It's an awful awful awful situation. If the neighbour was willing to come around and square up at your front door after overhearing a comment then god knows what else they are capable of. I'd hate to answer the door to him on my own!

As for the warden they'll soon see that the dogs are well cared for. Get the wardens name so that if you ever need to present all of this information you'll have someone to back you up.

Good luck. Noone should have to put up with this. There's no excuse.

jujuB wrote: »
    Then I will be calling my landlord to make a serious complaint! i think the neighbours own the house, we are renting to buy. What to do about that?

I'd second that - move. And the sooner the better. Even if it means foregoing your deposit, your sanity and safety, and that of your dogs, is worth a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just a thought - are you home all day or out all day, and if you're out have you any idea if your dogs bark?

If you've no idea, set up a web cam and record them for the day, see what they're up to in the yard. Your neighbours could just be pricks, or they could be driven mental by your dogs barking when you're not home. If that's the case it could also explain awful notes through the door and tyres let down (I know, I know, adults shouldn't manage their interactions with other adults like that, but hey.)

Just a thought - and you'll most probably be fine with the ISPCA lady - just make sure you have your dog licences and your vaccine cards and all that jazz, to demonstrate that you're responsible in both care of the dogs and the letter of the law!

I have to admit I wondered re the barking too as it is usually that that causes problems.

But yes, go to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Dont leave your dog/s out in the back garden. Even when you are at home, check the garden before you let out the dog. Something (poision)maybe thrown over the back wall and where you may not spot it, the dog will sniff it out.

Look into the options of moving - seriously. You can report to the guards but and the end of the day you are still living next door to them and 'under treat'.

Do not respond to the neighbours by shouting words over the back garden fense or even going to their front door to sort it out. It will not work and you and your partner will only be making things worse.

Im afraid 'out' is your only option (that i can see). Think of the peace you will have when you move next door to nice neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

As wyrn said get some CCTV put in and call the police and report everything to them, no matter how small or insignificant.

People down the street from me had a VERY similar problem with their neighbours.

The weirdo neighbour was caught on CCTV setting fire to their car and is now doing a bit of time in the big can.

If your renting I would move and then make endless complaints to the local Child Protection Agency or what ever it's called in Ireland.

You don't want to come home and find the animals harmed by these freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

take them to court for slander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055896654

Have you got long until you are due to move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've been advised to close this thread. OP you need to see gardai/legal advice on this situation. I wish you the best of luck, it's a horrible situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement