Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing list / rent allowance?

• 29-04-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

SO I fianlly had my application processed and have been deemed in need of council housing (9mths of hounding and chasing up application). I have 55 points...not that anyone working there knows what this means for me??

Anyway, how does this work now? Where do I go from here?

Can I apply for rent allowance while I wait for council housing? Can I apply for RA before I find a place? I can't really afford both a deposit and a months rent up front, maybe one, but certainly not both, so renting a place and then applying for rent allowance is not really an option.....again, knowing my luck with these things it might take months for it to come through and I wouldnt be able to pay the rent in the mean time.

I'm running short on time, can't really stay where I am for much longer as things are pretty strained!

Can someon please point me in the right direction? I've had pretty bad experiences with CWOs and would like to know what I can apply for before going to visit one again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

yes you can apply for rent allowance while you wait for council housing.

Even if though you are eligible doesnt mean you automatically get it. I think you still need a reason to move out of home

If i were you i would get cheap place with no deposit until you get a better place or have a word with thje landlord and dont pay the full rent until you get the rent allowance just pay the difference or just use the place as an adfress until it comes through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I had thought about that, it was even at a stage a while ago where I was close to being homeless. I have a 2yr old son though, and all the places I can afford, I just wouldn't want to bring my son near the dump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Tbh I don't know that much about rent allowance I'm just speaking about my own experience as a single man. You as a mother would be different I imagine. I think you should maybe have a word with your CEO(even though you had bad experiences with them) or your local citizens information. Some local councils also give you your first deposit do you should look into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

waiting list at the moment is 3 years. the corporation will advice you to seek rent allowance in the mean time..i'd ring the citizens advice and see exactly where you stand..also the Simon community and organisations like that do pay deposits for those in dire need so if you are in a very bad way then maybe contact them? not much help to you i know:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snuggles09 wrote: »
    waiting list at the moment is 3 years. the corporation will advice you to seek rent allowance in the mean time..i'd ring the citizens advice and see exactly where you stand..also the Simon community and organisations like that do pay deposits for those in dire need so if you are in a very bad way then maybe contact them? not much help to you i know:(

Which local authority is it only three years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

snubbleste wrote: »
    Which local authority is it only three years?

Waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Ah, so Dublin would be much longer then? God, and I thought 3 years was bad. The woman in the council office told me she had no idea how long I would be waiting, not a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Stix108

Question:

I am a divorced father and I have weekend over night access to my two children. My question is: I have been put on the housing list which is great, but my problem is that it will only be for a one bed house. When I asked about my children I was told that they don't live with me full time and that this department were not going to give my children a second home.

I have a Court Order and have shown them same that states that I have my two children 1 boy and 1 girl that will need separate rooms and again I have been told that they are not going to be accepted.

This is stopping me from getting rent allowance for a long parent with 2 children.

Can anybody help me or tell me who I could see about this????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

hi shelly,

If i was you i would go to your community welfare officer and find out how much the rent can be for a mother with one child, I would then find an apartment that falls just under that rent amount.

The Saint VIncent DePaul might help you with deposit and if you have no where to live you can ask the community welfare officer for the deposit aswell.

I have been in your situation before and done this. Just be sure to check with citizens advice in case any changes in the budget have some in this year regarding rent allowance eligibilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 emty89

Shelli2 wrote: »
    SO I fianlly had my application processed and have been deemed in need of council housing (9mths of hounding and chasing up application). I have 55 points...not that anyone working there knows what this means for me??

Anyway, how does this work now? Where do I go from here?

Can I apply for rent allowance while I wait for council housing? Can I apply for RA before I find a place? I can't really afford both a deposit and a months rent up front, maybe one, but certainly not both, so renting a place and then applying for rent allowance is not really an option.....again, knowing my luck with these things it might take months for it to come through and I wouldnt be able to pay the rent in the mean time.

I'm running short on time, can't really stay where I am for much longer as things are pretty strained!

Can someon please point me in the right direction? I've had pretty bad experiences with CWOs and would like to know what I can apply for before going to visit one again!
    Shelli,

Yes you can apply for rent supplement once you have been deemed to have a housing need by a local housing authority.

Please read the link below from citizens information.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html.

In order to apply for rent supplement, you must have accomodation/address that you want to claim rent supplement from before applying, as a current lease and also other documents from the landlord are required before you qualify.

Also the location you want to rent in will also affect how you will apply, as there is now a central rents unit that deals with rent application for a number of different areas in Dublin, so you would may not be dealing with your local CWO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement