Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few Questions...

• 30-04-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have been keeping a close eye on this thread for what seems like AGES now but feel compelled to post following todays announcement, like alot of people I would imagine.

First of all I was wondering what the situation is regarding eyesight if you are applying for the Guards? I was going to apply straight after I did my leaving cert (the first time) in 2003 but was told not to bother on account of my short-sightedness. Are they still strict about this? I wear glasses and contacts a fair bit but would get the laser surgery done if needs be. Well I would try and save the money for it somehow anyway!

Secondly, I passes the interview/test for the Garda reserves about a month ago but have not gone any further with this yet on account of an MA thesis which I am currently completing. Will being a member of the reserves greatly increase my chances of being successful in applying for the Guards full-time??

Looking forward to your replies...

David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

V480 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have been keeping a close eye on this thread for what seems like AGES now but feel compelled to post following todays announcement, like alot of people I would imagine.

First of all I was wondering what the situation is regarding eyesight if you are applying for the Guards? I was going to apply straight after I did my leaving cert (the first time) in 2003 but was told not to bother on account of my short-sightedness. Are they still strict about this? I wear glasses and contacts a fair bit but would get the laser surgery done if needs be. Well I would try and save the money for it somehow anyway!

Secondly, I passes the interview/test for the Garda reserves about a month ago but have not gone any further with this yet on account of an MA thesis which I am currently completing. Will being a member of the reserves greatly increase my chances of being successful in applying for the Guards full-time??

David

well i mysefl got laser eye surgery because i was short sighted and was a afraid i wouldnt pass the the medical, so if you check the garda.ie website it will tell you the requirements you need, on the second hand yes the reserves is a great help because it gives you an experince and insight so its everyone to his own

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mainistir

V480 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

David

Im the same lad, i got the laser done cause i was dodgy about passing the eye test. Get it done if you can at all i know its a big outlay initially but you can claim 40% back in tax so not so bad and the benefits you will have for life...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I'm actually blind without my glasses. Well not really, but fairly bad. So would it be just a straight out 'no' if I didn't get the laser done before say I had an interview or medical? That's presuming of course that I would even be lucky enough to get that far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HFB

da__flash wrote: »
    well i mysefl got laser eye surgery because i was short sighted and was a afraid i wouldnt pass the the medical, so if you check the garda.ie website it will tell you the requirements you need, on the second hand yes the reserves is a great help because it gives you an experince and insight so its everyone to his own
    Mainistir wrote: »
    Im the same lad, i got the laser done cause i was dodgy about passing the eye test. Get it done if you can at all i know its a big outlay initially but you can claim 40% back in tax so not so bad and the benefits you will have for life...!

How are you getting on with your sight since the laser surgery. I’m in a similar situation and am planning on getting it done before the next intake. I’ve heard stories that it can affect your night sight, how you had any problems with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

HFB wrote: »
    How are you getting on with your sight since the laser surgery. I’m in a similar situation and am planning on getting it done before the next intake. I’ve heard stories that it can affect your night sight, how you had any problems with it

Hi all! I got laser done about a year and a half ago... I haven't applied for the guards yet, so have never done a medical, but I was fairly sure that if I did get that far, that I'd be told to get it done. Had absolutely no problems after the laser though, so definately recommend it. It will be of benifit to you no matter if you need it for the guards or not. I have heard that if you fail your medical on the grounds of your eyesight that they do give you a chance to get laser. (Not completely positive though, so I'm sure someone else here will know for definate!) My night vision was't affected...it is blurry at night for a week after you get it done, but once it heals its supposed to rectify itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

HFB wrote: »

got it down 2 years ago and would seriously recommend it, i have a better quality of life from it and i didnt suffer and side effects so i suggest that you get it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

I'm looking to join the garda in a short while, but unfortunately i have colour-blindness (reds/greens)..would this stop me from passing the eye exam?

Thanks in advance

Was wondering about the eyesight thing myself. Must get an eye test done some time.

Regarding the reserves though; I've heard that being a reserve significantly hurts your chances of being an actual Garda. The theory behind this being that if you're not a super amazing reserve Garda, you're not going to be a good "proper" Garda.

Personally, if it were up to me, I'd rather find out I'm crap at the job after they've started paying me to do it.

It's worth noting though, that its quite likely being a reserve could be hugely beneficial to you. I can only relay what I've heard, and as you know yourself, bad news travels a lot faster than good news (and most of what I've heard would've been from people on the internet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Redlion wrote: »
    I'm looking to join the garda in a short while, but unfortunately i have colour-blindness (reds/greens)..would this stop me from passing the eye exam?

Thanks in advance

Defence Lawyer: "Now, Garda Redlion, what colour was the vehicle you witnessed the alleged thief escape in?"

Redlion: "Red? Green? I don't know"

Whether you are colour blind or not is checked in the medical. The eyesight requirements state "normal colour vision"

Yeah i read the requirements, but my colour blindness is extremely light. I have no problems distinguishing colours. However i can often mistake red for green when they are lighted. I would have no problem identifying car indicators and traffic lights, due to their placements. I would just like a definete answer on this from someone with experience!
    Would save me the trouble of going through the tediousness of applying to become a Garda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

klong wrote: »
    Defence Lawyer: "Now, Garda Redlion, what colour was the vehicle you witnessed the alleged thief escape in?"

Redlion: "Red? Green? I don't know"

Whether you are colour blind or not is checked in the medical. The eyesight requirements state "normal colour vision"

Not entirely true, there are different degrees of colour blindness..

Hear of some who passed with it but can't drive state vehicles

I would just like a definete answer on this from someone with experience!
    Would save me the trouble of going through the tediousness of applying to become a Garda.

If you are ever looking for a definite answer you should always ring Garda Appointments in Dublin.
    Boards is great for answers but definite answers can vary :pac:

If you are ever looking for a definite answer you should always ring Garda Appointments in Dublin.
    Boards is great for answers but definite answers can vary :pac:
    Thanks :)..would you by any chance know of their number? :D

Thanks :)..would you by any chance know of their number? :D

Not off hand, I'm sure someone will be around later to help ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I put a course that involves politics as a minor on my CAO but after college I want to join An Garda Siochana. Will that have any implications on me getting into An Garda Siochana.

Advertisement