Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruno Coulais - In Memoriam + Mozart's Requiem

Options
  • 30-04-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey, I'm wondering if anybody can make sense of something in this review.

As you can see Simons says that Coulais owes "a bit to Mozart’s Requiem and perhaps even a little to John Williams’ Schindler List" for his piece In Memoriam that features extensively in Barratier's Les Choristes. I've examined all three of these scores and am still unsure as to what you he was referring to.

Was it the way in which Coulais voices the lower voices, similar to how Mozart does it in the Kyrie of his Requiem? Maybe it's in relation to a different part of the Requiem? Or, is it the initial Schindler's List melody that is somewhat similar to the soprano solo melody of Coulais' piece? Or is it something completely different!?

It'd be great if somebody could clear this up for me or had any insight on the matter as I've been trying to make sense of this for a paper I'm writting but can't see what he's talking about, but it could be a very interesting point.

Here's some youtube links to the songs/music if this would help

In Memoriam - Bruno Coulais (Youtube)

Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor (1st movement)

Fisrt Page of Score for In Memoriam!

IMSLP Complete score for Mozart's Requiem

Advertisement