Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Kerry versus South Kerry...

Options
  • 30-04-2010 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

So what do you reckon.. Is north kerry the place to be or is south kerry the cream of the Kingdom??? Or perhaps you see no difference - unlikely tho!!!

Let us all know what you think!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

oicherider wrote: »
    So what do you reckon.. Is north kerry the place to be or is south kerry the cream of the Kingdom??? Or perhaps you see no difference - unlikely tho!!!

So, what's your opinion, and do you have any particular reason for asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

What about West and East Kerry!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

I reckon South Kerry is the better half of the county (being origionally from there I am biased but have been living away for a long time)..

The reason for the post is no more than I had a fair bit of drink on board but I think that it is funny how the county does have a divide.. and I havnt really figured out where it comes from.. Fair enough the landscape is very different but I dont think that is were it ends..

Carcaeologist.. im not sure if the county is big enough to split in 4!! Is there an East Kerry?? lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Is there an East Kerry?? lol..

Its called Healy Rae country where the real people have dinner in the middle of the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

South Kerry people are too much like Cork people:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Spread wrote: »
    South Kerry people are like Cork people:)

That's why we're lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Lucky South Kerry people, unlike the Limericky North Kerry folk

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

the best place in kerry is not north south east or west , its
    mid kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Can you or anyone else provide a map of where south/north/east/west/mid kerry start and stop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

kingdumb wrote: »
    Can you or anyone else provide a map of where south/north/east/west/mid kerry start and stop ?
    *Gets popcorn* Sits back and waits for the arguing!
    Ill start off with this...
    Tralee and above-North Kerry
    Killarney and below- South Kerry
    Tralee over towards Dingle and on to Ventry- West Kerry
    Killarney over towards Rathmore-East Kerry

Would the area between Tralee and Killarney be Mid Kerry,im not sure how to quantify this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

I think it ought to be thusly:

North Kerry = Listowel ( The Lovely) & environs,

Mid-Kerry = Tralee ( famed for Roses) & environs,

South Kerry = Killarney ( noted for Lakes & Dells) & environs.

" The Kingdom " then becomes the proper name of the County.

Further arguement would be pointless & divisive.

Carcheologist may put aside his pop-corn for all is now peaceful & serene in the Kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I would have Killarney as more East Kerry as opposed to South Kerry. I woulsd say South Kerry starts south of Killarney but that Killarney itself is in East Kerry. Also the way the town lies kinda means that after Muckross there is very little of Killarney that is south of the town if that makes sense to anyone else.

If someone said South Kerry to me I'd always assume there were taking about Cahersiveen, Waterville, Caherdaniel - down that direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

kingdumb wrote: »

Don't know if there is any offical splitting of districts.

Would imagine the closest is probably using some of the divisional sides in football and the various categories some of the parishes fall into i.e East Kerry, Mid-Kerry, West Kerry etc.

However that's probably not going to be conclusive/definitive.

South Kerry gets road repairs.
    North Kerry doesn't get road repairs.

http://www.kerryman.ie/premium/news/road-repair-money-goes-south-2176539.html

The full story isn't on this link because you now have to pay to see it online.:eek:

"NOT a single road in North Kerry is to benefit from a National Roads Authority roads improvement grant this year as all the money is to be spent in South Kerry."

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

ejmaztec wrote: »
    South Kerry gets road repairs.North Kerry doesn't get road repairs.

Jackie has to be good for something

newman10 wrote: »
    Jackie has to be good for something

Steam-rolling?:(

or hardcore?:pac:

Advertisement