Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Seat

Options
  • 30-04-2010 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

lads, anyone got a second hand boat seat for sale or know where i could get a cheap or second hand one? im talking about one of those seats you can attach to the wooden seats in those baots that are used for lough fishing, it would be cushioned and have a back on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

if you are any way DIY inclined at all...........a length 8x2 timber, a piece for the back, a hinge all from your local builders merchant and a cushion form someone else's couch........... and bobs your uncle..........boat seat for less than €20 ;);)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Those seats look nice, and you have a commanding view .... of nothing.
    mainly because the fish see you coming a mile away. A higher seat significantly increases the need for longer casting all the time it is being used.

Just a suggestion:
    If you made a mental note to remember that every 3" higher reduces catches by 10% and every 3" lower increases catches by 10%, your approach begins to match the reality of fishing in fair weather daylight conditions. This applies (in my humble opinion) to both angler height and boat height above water level, is crucial for takes on a floating line at or in the surface, and is extremely important for larger than average fish which are several years old and have seen and survived more angling effort than their young bretheren.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

can't recommend a local supplier since i brought my pair of seats from overseas...i have seen home made seats like iron blue suggests and they work well but make sure you have some way of securing the seat to the gunwale for safety, first bad day with a seat, in a big wave on the lough and your ass and lower back will be forever greatful for the support!:)

This is the Airflow TLD boat seat:
    13426.jpg
    If you really need one it's the one to get, or the deluxe version of the same.
    Used ones turn up on ebay every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

coolwings wrote: »
    mainly because the fish see you coming a mile away. A higher seat significantly increases the need for longer casting all the time it is being used.

Just a suggestion:
    If you made a mental note to remember that every 3" higher reduces catches by 10% and every 3" lower increases catches by 10%, your approach begins to match the reality of fishing in fair weather daylight conditions. This applies (in my humble opinion) to both angler height and boat height above water level, is crucial for takes on a floating line at or in the surface, and is extremely important for larger than average fish which are several years old and have seen and survived more angling effort than their young bretheren.

thoroughly agree.. whenever i pass a boat on a lake and i see someone standing in it fishing... either fly fishing or spinning for pike etc.. i just shudder a bit.. firstly its feckin dangerous.. and secondly it must look like a huge human shaped silhouette from below the surface..... get as low down as ye can... make up a wee stool thingy that sits flat down on the false bottoms of the boat then your laughing...!

come on now....the op did'nt ask for a ladder to make himself as tall as possible when out in a boat!:rolleyes:

a seat such as the airflo pictured above, can be a welcome addition to 8+ hours on a lake and what does it add in terms of height? it clamps to the existing seat at a low level and when under weight it only adds a few inches to overall height...nobody is advocating the foolishness of standing while on the water,but being comfortable in the boat can undoubtedly add to your concentration levels,and that imo is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I have the above pictured seat, its very good but the clamp things are worse than useless. Best to take them off and just slide one of those wide ribbon ties you see on the holding cargo on the back of trialers etc in under the base and around the seat...much firmer hold and no chance of the seat falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

coolwings wrote: »

Just a suggestion:

A few inches extra height is going to make sweet FA difference, except in the calmest and brightest of conditions - which lets face it, are extremely rare in Ireland. Any kind of wave, however small, significantly reduces the fish's window of vision. I've hooked trout only a few feet from the boat that could, and clearly should, have seen my silhouette. A huge number of trout are caught dibbling the fly on the surface at the end of the retrieve - easily close enough to the boat for the fish to see the silhouette.
    Personally I find the comfort of a seat for a long day's fishing far outweighs the possible tiny reduction in catches. In my humble opinion! ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    .... A huge number of trout are caught dibbling the fly on the surface at the end of the retrieve - easily close enough to the boat for the fish to see the silhouette.
    Personally I find the comfort of a seat for a long day's fishing far outweighs the possible tiny reduction in catches. In my humble opinion! ;)

This merits it's own thread! But not wanting to hijack (any more than already) I would just suggest that the smaller trout fall for presentations close to a boat, and large wild fish caught shortlining are very infrequent. The competition results bear this out pretty well.
    Of course fly sizes are also regulated in competition fishing so it's more involved than just the boat.
    So while disagreeing, not disagreeing totally, I'm just saying it depends on what you want .... :)

Though I wouldn't - if I was getting a boat seat I'd get a TLD.

• Advertisement

OH to be a 'person of small stature'(pc for dwarf) on the floor of a boat while fly fishing.....talk about having the odds stacked in your favour!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

whether the fish see you or not is more to do with light levels and the angle of the sun rather than the height of a boat seat!! in evening or dull conditions when light levels are low trout will come closer to the boat to take a fly, because there are less shadows in lower light levels, in calm bright conditions there will be more shadow and the trout will stay further away whether you are sitting on a bar stool or a sheet of paper. of course in all situations it is certainly better to keep a low profile while in the boat, (and to keep quiet too) but in times of poor light and wave conditions large trout will come close to the boat irrespective of what type of seat you are sitting on, dapping is the proof, every year large trout are caught dapping and usually the natural fly is close enough to the boat.
    something like the incorrect use of oars, a sloppy approach, bad casting etc are far more likely to spook trout rather than a few inches on the height of a boat seat.

...........oh if only this fishing craic was an exact science...............but sure isn't that why we like it.............:D:D

Advertisement