Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling road bikes in rain

• 30-04-2010 8:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Probably a daft question as I'm going to cycle anyway but I recently acquired a road bike which I am loving. Luckily the past few weeks have been terrifc weather wise and perfect for cycling; no rain, little wind etc. but it appears that may begin to change today with rain expected. In the past I'd cycle in the rain and wet anyways on my hybrid but am obviously using it less and less as the road bike bug has really taken hold. Today I need to be somewhere around 1pm, a round trip of just 40kms and the forecast is for rain but I really want to use the road bike.
    Question...when it's pouring down is it advisable to use road bike? Mine is not an expensive high end bike. I'm not precious about it but will clean it afterwards to remove grit etc. Or alternatively at what point when it's raining do you guys decide not to go out for safety reasons and for fear of wear and tear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the roads will be greasy now with the rain ,air on the side of caution .

i have a clip on mud gaurd keeps my ass dry .

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

same common sense you would operate with driving a car or riding any other bike

as to when not to go out in the rain?? when you achieve this level you can take the easy option
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD9o6K_EDdE

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It depends on a few factors for me. If I've already done enough kms in the week, one drop would be enough to stop me. If it's a spin with the club, I rarely get to do these and a monsoon wouldn't keep me away, same for sportives. Today I'm going to take my chances, I'm bringing my cycling gear with me to work as I'm well down on kilometers done so it would take storm weather to keep me off the bike.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

same common sense you would operate with driving a car or riding any other bike

as to when not to go out in the rain?? when you achieve this level you can take the easy option
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD9o6K_EDdE

Rule 29 breaking at 0:52. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

In Ireland, if you leave the bike at home every time there might be rain then you end up cycling too little, and frustrated when it turns out to be fine (or just light rain).

I find it's best to just take a rain jacket and go for it in all but the worst of of weather.

(Mud guards are a Good Thing, though.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

when it starts to rain (even a little) the manholes, white road markings become lethal.Be very careful with the skinny tyres or you will be on the deck before you know what has happened. It also has been an unusually dry so a little bit of rain conmbined with road grease, dust etc will make the roads slippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

setanta159 wrote: »
    ... at what point when it's raining do you guys decide not to go out for safety reasons and for fear of wear and tear?

I never let the rain stop me going out but I might shorten the spin if it's really bad. I never go out when there is white stuff on the front lawn.
    Full mudguards and a front mud flap help to protect your drive train and if you like make up something to protect the lower headset bearing from road wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Never, just get out on your bike matey :)

Only things to consider for spins are:

Have clip on rear mudguard to save your bum, gloves, light/heavy jacket and shoe covers to stop your feet freezing.

THat's about it really. In regards to the bike pay attention to cleaning the rims when you get back otherwise grit dries on and you increase rim and brake block wear and erm.... dry and oil your chain.

Having said all that if you need to be somewhere and you need to be presentable when you get there then take the car/bus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Full mudguards and a front mud flap help to protect your drive train and if you like make up something to protect the lower headset bearing from road wash.

A mud flap makes an enormous difference. I imagine if you love the look of your bike you won't want to add one, but it really keeps a lot of schmutz off the chain -- i.e. most of it. When it rains you just get rain on your shoes, chain, cables and down tube, not muddy water, grit and whatever awful stuff is on the road.

If you don't care what your bike looks like, this has some advice how to make a mud flap.

http://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/fendermudflap.html

I used cut up milk jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

i cycle to work every day and with my club on weekends. i haven't got a proper soaking in months, i dont know what people are talking about when they say its always raining. maybe its just cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

i cycle to work every day and with my club on weekends. i haven't got a proper soaking in months, i dont know what people are talking about when they say its always raining. maybe its just cork.
    Thanks for jinxing us. When it lashes rain tomorrow now, we're all going to blame you.

It's been unusually dry for the last 4 weeks. Awesomely so. But it can't last :(

seamus wrote: »
    Thanks for jinxing us. When it lashes rain tomorrow now, we're all going to blame you.

It's been unusually dry for the last 4 weeks. Awesomely so. But it can't last :(
    i never mentioned wind, which is way worse! see ye in Dingle tomorrow for the Sportive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

There is really no conditions you cant ride your roadbike in except ICE and even then they have tires for that :), and deep snow (not a problem in this country - cue youtube of winter 09/10 showing the exception!) Everything else is confidence, experience and personal preference, and goals.

High winds, especially cross wind is another one over 60km/hr crosswind is getting ropey with the close proximity to cars, but again this depends on experience and confidence.

Wet and crosswind (over 50km/hr) is where I personally draw the line.

And when you get into it, and have a high end roadbike to 'nurture' :D you can then make a 'winter bike' for those crappy days you dont want to go out with the nice bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Well tomorrow aint meant to be too windy, actually could be quite calm, but that means any rain we get aint gonna pass by, I see a very wet & grey Connor Pass in my future .... ; > (

i never mentioned wind, which is way worse! see ye in Dingle tomorrow for the Sportive!

Murph100 wrote: »
    Well tomorrow aint meant to be too windy, actually could be quite calm, but that means any rain we get aint gonna pass by, I see a very wet & grey Connor Pass in my future .... ; > (
    change of plan murph, heading to south kerry instead with the continuity chain gang!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Today was an exhilarating experience to say the least. Did 44kms with the initial 20 being sublime. On way back home came into a 'spot' (it pissed down from high heaven, hailstones etc.) of rain and had to duck for shelter by the library in Baldoyle for 20 mins. Waited for rain to ease off and headed for Portmarnock....drenched shortly after getting back on bike. Person I needed to meet not in so head off using the back roads around Portmarnock and Malahide as the kids get off school. Traffic unbelievable and at crossings no room to manoeuvre so ended up cycling slowly on deserted but stony footpaths passed long lines of cars. The roads around there are quite shocking in parts and the rain/puddles made it ever more dangerous. I would hate to cycle in these conditions everyday but did notice most motorists making an effort to avoid me. I reciprocated and slowed down by wide entrances to houses so many could pass me. All in all a bit of an eye opener. I thoroughly enjoyed it but maybe that's the masochist in me. Once home I cleaned bike and had a long lingering bath... with no mudguards you would simply not believe how dirty I was. There was even muck in my ears!
    Anyway I survived, it was no biggy and I suppose that's the important thing. The advice given to me earlier by you guys on here was invaluable as I was extra vigilant and had said advice ringing in my ears the whole time. NOW I'M EMIGRATING! I HATE THIS F**Kin WEATHER! ;)

Advertisement