Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E10 petrol

• 30-04-2010 8:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

im currently abroad, i stopped at my 1st service station last Night to get petrol. i got confused as the petrol options i had were: 98 unleaded (super), 95 E10 unleaded? i put the 98 unleaded in to be safe as i dont have a clue what 95 E10 is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

snaps wrote: »
    im currently abroad, i stopped at my 1st service station last Night to get petrol. i got confused as the petrol options i had were: 98 unleaded (super), 95 E10 unleaded? i put the 98 unleaded in to be safe as i dont have a clue what 95 E10 is?

Google is your tool....
    It is 95 Octaine. 90% petrol 10% Ethanol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its the same as E5 here, except its 10% bioethenol instead of 5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

betafrog wrote: »
    Unless you have a particularly sporty car (read Skyline, Ferrari, Porsche) you just wasted a decent bit of cash.

Your car doesnt have to be a Ferrari to require 98 octane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

so is it ok to use in a normal car that takes unleaded (alfa 156)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

betafrog wrote: »
    I said paritcularly sporty and quoted a few examples...

Most jap imports without a remap would run better on 98, don't have to be sporty...

• Advertisement

ok, what benefits? my car uses 95ron unleaded, some petrol stations here only have this E10 95 and also 98 unleaded. the E10 is the cheapest (1.35e/l compared to the 98 unleaded at 1.45e/l)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Well for the normal joe soap, the extra octane rating isnt really going to help, youll only get "green" benefits from lesser emmissions etc.

For the owner of a jap import with self learning ECU's this higher octane is good as it means the ecu can up the timing and therefore we get more power.

I know my car runs much better on E5 than standard fuel, although i dont get as much Km to a tank as Ethanol isnt as efficient as petrol when burned so it uses more.

Its cheaper than the 98 RON fuel as the 10% (or 5% here) doesnt attract tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

higher octane fuel generally means it's cleaner fuel/better for the engine (talking over time here), but as cronin just said, for the average person, it's relatively a waste of money.

so really i Need to find standard 95 ron unleaded for best value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Its the same as E5 here, except its 10% bioethenol instead of 5%.

Thats not true.
    Maxol E5 is 99.2 Octane as its "cut" on regular 95octane petrol.
    This 95Octane E10 is Ethanol cut on lower Octane (91-93?) petrol for ultimately a lower grade fuel. I would not be promoting usage of regular grade fuel with ethanol content, all you get is lower MPG and virtually zero performance benefit.

Any decent German car is also tuned for more advanced Timing on 98Octane fuel btw (and adapts down too), seems to be an over usage of the Jap Import connection here. If you have a Jap Import with proper JDM tuning, you absolutely should be running soley E5 in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

is e5 available anywhere in cork

BArra wrote: »
    is e5 available anywhere in cork

http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-stations.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If you have a Jap Import with proper JDM tuning, you absolutely should be running soley E5 in Ireland.
    You shouldn't need to run on higher rated fuels if your car has problems running on anything else.

If your car runs smoothly on lower rated fuels then it's because the ECU is able to adjust the timing to suit, and the car will be fine. Most Japanese imports will run absolutely perfectly on 95, but will (like a lot of cars) show a bit of a performance increase on 98+.

JHMEG wrote: »
    If your car runs smoothly on lower rated fuels then it's because the ECU is able to adjust the timing to suit, and the car will be fine. Most Japanese imports will run absolutely perfectly on 95, but will (like a lot of cars) show a bit of a performance increase on 98+.

Well, I phased that badly, but why wouldnt your run on your cars "native" fuel type when its the same price as 95octane? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Well, I phased that badly, but why wouldnt your run on your cars "native" fuel type when its the same price as 95octane? :p

Absolutely!

cheers, all a bit scary. i'll make sure i find stations selling "sans plombe 95" then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

JHMEG wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to run on higher rated fuels if your car has problems running on anything else.

This is completely true of imports that have standard engines and ecu's.
    The problem with imports is ones that have aftermarket ecu's as these will have been mapped for specific fuel types(100octane in Japan) and will run unsafely on lower octanes especially with hard use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

so really i Need to find standard 95 ron unleaded for best value?

The E10 is the standard 95 octane in some garages its probably not any more expensive. Use it away.

could be completely un related but since using E10 petrol my cars traction control kicks in during de acceleration (changing down gears & re accelerating). since moving on to italy where there is no E10 only standard 95ron unleaded the problem is fading.

car running much better now its back on 95ron u/l. saw super ethonal E85 today! one thing for sure us irish motorists really are taking it up the backside on tax. here in France, no annual road tax, but tolls on motorways & fuel is same price/l. filled up today for 134.9€/l. imagine what we would Be paying in ireland if there was no road tax? petrol in italy was more expensive than france.

• Advertisement

car running much better now its back on 95ron u/l. saw super ethonal E85 today!

We have that too!

Advertisement