Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java certification

Options
  • 30-04-2010 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

What is the cerification that employers think is the best for Java or most recoginized?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

All of the Sun certs :) There is an entry level cert - the SCJA which isn't worth much. Beyond that, you could look at the SCJP which is probably the real entry level cert. There is a higher cert then - which is the Sun Developer (SCJD I think) which seems to be very well respected.

Depending on what you want to do after that - there are different branches you can take, depending on what you want to do. For example - Web Dev, or Mobile apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Exactly. SCJP isn't even that important if you have more than 2 years experience but might be worth getting. SCJD is well respected, but is also a lot of work!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Exactly. SCJP isn't even that important if you have more than 2 years experience but might be worth getting. SCJD is well respected, but is also a lot of work!

Doing this in final year was the biggest mistake of my life. Still I remember it being a very worthwhile learning experience all the same. :)

Main problem is that as it is required to have the the SCJP first to do the SCJD, it works out quite expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Happyouter

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/m255.htm

Has anyone done this course in Java at the open university? how is it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Hi, I have just finished 3rd year of a computer science degree and am looking at looking getting some certification during fourth year. I had a look at the SCJA, SCJP and SCJD examples and think I could do the SCJP as the SCJD would take up too much time considering I will be doing a final year project too. Could anyone give some advice on whether there is any point getting the SCJA beforehand or should I just go for the one cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Joneser wrote: »
    Hi, I have just finished 3rd year of a computer science degree and am looking at looking getting some certification during fourth year. I had a look at the SCJA, SCJP and SCJD examples and think I could do the SCJP as the SCJD would take up too much time considering I will be doing a final year project too. Could anyone give some advice on whether there is any point getting the SCJA beforehand or should I just go for the one cert?

See marco_polo's post above. Focus on getting your degree and a good one at that as it says far more about you than the java certs will. You'll have plenty of time to do them once you've graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Joneser wrote: »

My advice: Do not waste your time with an SCJA. Start with a SCJP because you will need it if you want to do other, advanced certs. I got SCJP certified last year, Java 6.

Took me 3 weeks pretty much solid (I'm very slow re Java).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Focus on getting your degree and a good one at that as it says far more about you than the java certs will. You'll have plenty of time to do them once you've graduated.

+1

A good final year project showing your depth of knowledge in selected technologies will say more than a cert.
    And I interview java developers.

Advertisement