Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much walking for puppy

Options
  • 30-04-2010 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

We have a 6 month old golden retriever who we are currently walking approx 30 mins twice a day (going on 5 mins per month of age).
    I am finding inthe last couple of days that she is still full on energy after her walks and could possibly do with a bit more.
    Is it ok to walk her more than this??
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think that you're not meant to walk puppies too much, since they're still developing and it can damage their joints or something? Walking on soft ground like around a park on grass might be better though, if you want to take her for longer walks. I'd wait til she was a year or so for any longer walks really.

Though I'm not an expert on golden retrievers or anything, so hopefully someone can reply who has golden retrievers and knows how much exercise they need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

They say 5 mins for every month of life , but you have to take into account the way your dog walks mine likes to go very slowly at times and get distracted easaly so a 15 min walk for me takes 35-45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Thanks for replies.
    Would have her walking for the 30 mins allowing for stops altho there usually isnt too many of them. We would also let her off the lead for a few mins (play fetch) but this would also be on top of the 30 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Thanks for replies.
    Would have her walking for the 30 mins allowing for stops altho there usually isnt too many of them. We would also let her off the lead for a few mins (play fetch) but this would also be on top of the 30 mins

I think this is too much exercise for her age, you are in danger of damaging her bones and joints which are still developing.

A 10 minute run around your back garden or the local park is sufficent at her age. From 12 mths of age you can gradually increase the amount of exercise to as much as you can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

As other posts have said, sounds as if she is getting enough physical exercise. If she still needs to burn off energy, maybe try some mental stimulation, eg, stuffed kongs, food puzzle balls - these kind of exercises also help to tire & calm a dog.

• Advertisement

Hermit07 wrote: »
    I think this is too much exercise for her age, you are in danger of damaging her bones and joints which are still developing.

A 10 minute run around your back garden or the local park is sufficent at her age. From 12 mths of age you can gradually increase the amount of exercise to as much as you can provide.

Do you mean she shouldnt be getting the 30 min walk??...and should only be having a 10 min run as exercise for the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I would have thought 30 mins was fine, especially if mostly at walking pace - not running flat out. I always understood the rules for developing puppies, especially big breeds, was gentle exercise & no going up or down stairs.

I would imagine a year old retriever on only 10 mins walk a day could be "difficult" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

I would think that 30 min twice a day is fine for a six month old retriever, maybe seperate the off-lead exercise though. You could play fetch / tug/ or a short training session for ten minutes several times a day. Little and often is the general rule. Lay off any high impact exercise (agility) for another six months and built up slowly. Good luck.

leopardus wrote: »
    I would think that 30 min twice a day is fine for a six month old retriever, maybe seperate the off-lead exercise though. You could play fetch / tug/ or a short training session for ten minutes several times a day. Little and often is the general rule. Lay off any high impact exercise (agility) for another six months and built up slowly. Good luck.

Thanks for that.
    Can separate out the two.
    Dont do any high impact exercise...dont have her running on the lead and when she is off the lead i'll throw one of her toys a few times....and honestly....my throw isnt that great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Thats way to much exercise for a pup.Golden Retrievers are prone to hip dysplasia ,and to much exercise can cause that .
    just do short walks ,also dont have the puppy jumping or climbing stairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement