Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi/Lidl satellite kit. don't waste your money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

Yep and a lot of people who buy them, then have a bad experience with installing, tuning, & then poor reception, are put off satellite tv & tell their freinds how bad it is,
    I have a neatly folded pile of Aldi / lidl dishes round the back, taken from customers who have failed to install the above rubbish,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Just get in Sky+ you can get it for €20 PM now;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

SIX PACK wrote: »

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

not worth buying cheap dishes at all, I had one and replaced with a triax and it hasn't moved in 4 years and not a spot of rust etc on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

SIX PACK wrote: »

Or get FreeSat for nada, zip, zilch, nuthin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Went to that Lidl warehouse clearance in Mullingar last month and there were 4 pallets of these mini dish kits at €39.99. They were all stickered as tested returns. Definitely not suitable for this country at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

I've used these succesfully in both Cork and Galway. They seemed to work well in favourable weather. Can't comment about whether rain fade is an issue.

At one level they are fine for a newbie as all the bits are in the box. On the other hand I can imagine plenty of problems if you have no previous experience of aligning a dish.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Trevord wrote: »
    I've used these succesfully in both Cork and Galway. They seemed to work well in favourable weather. Can't comment about whether rain fade is an issue.

At one level they are fine for a newbie as all the bits are in the box. On the other hand I can imagine plenty of problems if you have no previous experience of aligning a dish.

Trevord was it the camping kit with the small plastic dish that you setup in Galway. Also did you receive all available transponders when you did a scan for Astra 2 and was their any pixelisation on any of the Vertical high or Horizontal highband channels. I find it strange I am based in county Wexford closer to Astra2 and i have came across these camping kits setup and not all the available channels are receivable which means the Dish is to Small.
    Why are people are still buying these poorly made systems when there are better systems available for the same price.

I find its any bit of wind makes mince meat of them and continuous hassle aligning them compared to decent strong stuff. Also its hard to beat a freesat box vs fta box anymore with convenience of epg and more importantly not rescanning every month or two

Yes it was one of those camping kits from either Lidl or Aldi.

It belonged to a friend of mine who called into me in Galway in a camper van (obviously) last summer. He had problems with it and I showed him how to use it.

He spent the next two weeks trying to get it to work in various parts of the country with no luck. In the end I had to call to his house in Cork to satisfy him that he had not broken it.

Not sure whether there were problems with some of the channels. The BBCs and ITVs worked OK. Maybe I was just lucky with the weather conditions.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    I find its any bit of wind makes mince meat of them and continuous hassle aligning them compared to decent strong stuff. Also its hard to beat a freesat box vs fta box anymore with convenience of epg and more importantly not rescanning every month or two

Think the OP is on about the small portable camping kit dish rather than the big "permanent" dustbin lid dishes that give all the trouble you refer to.

Interesting fact: According to Alan Sugar the original Amstrad dishes were made by a company that made dustbin lids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭slegs

scaller wrote: »
    Trevord was it the camping kit with the small plastic dish that you setup in Galway. Also did you receive all available transponders when you did a scan for Astra 2 and was their any pixelisation on any of the Vertical high or Horizontal highband channels. I find it strange I am based in county Wexford closer to Astra2 and i have came across these camping kits setup and not all the available channels are receivable which means the Dish is to Small.
    Why are people are still buying these poorly made systems when there are better systems available for the same price.

Because for some people cheaper always equates to good value. They dont even question that quality may be variable. In this case it isnt even cheaper which goes to prove that Lidl are very good at marketing.

slegs wrote: »
    Because for some people cheaper always equates to good value. They dont even question that quality may be variable. In this case it isnt even cheaper which goes to prove that Lidl are very good at marketing.

Buy cheap pay for it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

TBH my buying of the Lidl kit (SL65/12) a few years back was the 1st step into the world of non 28E satellites! Sure the dish is too small but the SL65 receiver isn't that bad really. But then I'm a techie and persisted until I figured out what was going on. I can see why others take it back saying it's rubbish.

I have since moved on to a larger dish and a HD receiver, but even so the dish and receiver is great for the father in law to watch France 2 from 5W for the rugby this weekend. Luckily that sat is pretty strong so rain fade "shouldn't" be an issue.... He said looking at the lashing rain on the window....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I remember standing behind a lady in Lidl who was returning one of these kits. Reason she gave was "It did not pick up sky sports":)

I agree with Slegs , Lidl are very good at marketing and do offer great value on most items so a lot of people perceive that anything they sell is good value/quality. On the positive side though Lidl selling satellite gear made me think of different ways to compete with them.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    I remember standing behind a lady in Lidl who was returning one of these kits. Reason she gave was "It did not pick up sky sports":)

I agree with Slegs , Lidl are very good at marketing and do offer great value on most items so a lot of people perceive that anything they sell is good value/quality. On the positive side though Lidl selling satellite gear made me think of different ways to compete with them.

Very clever sales ploy by Lidl/Aldi they always sell this kit around the Bank holidays when people are heading to there Holiday homes. The amount of houses and mobile homes i see in my travels with these Crap dishes stuck up on them pointing to ground.

Sometimes its an oppurtunity. If I see a dish thats hanging down I sometimes knock on the door and ask if the householder would like a good quality replacement.

Very clever sales ploy by Lidl/Aldi they always sell this kit around the Bank holidays when people are heading to there Holiday homes. The amount of houses and mobile homes i see in my travels with these Crap dishes stuck up on them pointing to ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

AstralTV wrote: »
    Yep and a lot of people who buy them, then have a bad experience with installing, tuning, & then poor reception, are put off satellite tv & tell their freinds how bad it is,
    I have a neatly folded pile of Aldi / lidl dishes round the back, taken from customers who have failed to install the above rubbish,
    yet in the store near me they are bought up in the first hour
    i was tempted
    thanks for the info

Yep for a tenner its ok

phi3 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Harry.c

Buy cheap pay for it twice.

Now there is a line I have heard somewhere before!!!:):pac::)

true indeed, stay away from this rubbish and get someone that knows what they are doing, and has the expertise, not these Bob the Builder types, chancing their arms,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

Well I'll admit to being a sucker. I bought one today - spur of the moment.
    already have FTA working off our old sky dish and thought i could get this for my uncle.
    Receiver works ok as i plugged it to current dish. No luck at all getting a signal with the new dish. The manual is funny e.g - problem: dish is too small solution: buy bigger dish

adm wrote: »
    Well I'll admit to being a sucker. I bought one today - spur of the moment.
    already have FTA working off our old sky dish and thought i could get this for my uncle.
    Receiver works ok as i plugged it to current dish. No luck at all getting a signal with the new dish. The manual is funny e.g - problem: dish is too small solution: buy bigger dish

A complete Waste of Money. I would advise you to keep the receipt and Bring it back to the Store and explain it to the manager that this so called bargain is no good to receive all the available UK channels in Ireland. As i said before their is plenty of Better cheap budget kits available nowadays for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Actually I bought one of these boxs myself on Sunday & I am literally going round the bend! I cant pick up anything! I've spent days on end with it and all I get is signal intensity 80% and quality 14%! I've tried replacing the cables etc.. slowly moving the dish vertically and horizontly in small slight movements, Nothing!! I'm thinking of bringing it back but Im just wondering what to say is actually wrong with it because it actually says in the manual that you have to be experienced with this kind of stuff? Might just say I had a guy over and he says it was faulty..something along those lines.. Anyone else have similiar problems with this product? Anyone taken it back after opening it and getting a full refund?? I would be So thankful for any help please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

xTanyax wrote: »
    Actually I bought one of these boxs myself on Sunday & I am literally going round the bend! I cant pick up anything! I've spent days on end with it and all I get is signal intensity 80% and quality 14%! I've tried replacing the cables etc.. slowly moving the dish vertically and horizontly in small slight movements, Nothing!! I'm thinking of bringing it back but Im just wondering what to say is actually wrong with it because it actually says in the manual that you have to be experienced with this kind of stuff? Might just say I had a guy over and he says it was faulty..something along those lines.. Anyone else have similiar problems with this product? Anyone taken it back after opening it and getting a full refund?? I would be So thankful for any help please!

Eh, did you read any of the above posts???
    DO NOT BUY THESE, THEY WILL NOT WORK!!!

Unfortunetly I did on Sunday, only found these posts tonight. I am definitley going to take it back!

Unfortunetly I did on Sunday, only found these posts tonight. I am definitley going to take it back!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65704819&postcount=24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

I agree that they are not the greatest, but I have to say that I bought mine from Lidl several years ago and have had great fun with it.
    Sure its only 60cm, but it brings in everything I want, despite the crows picking the cover off the LNB! I even motorised it a couple of years ago and now enjoy several satellites.
    At the time I paid €99 when it was impossible to buy a complete kit for anything like that elsewhere.
    So before you bring it back, have some patience, read about dish alignment and enjoy!

Thats fair enough but the system you bough had a 60 cm dish, the one mentioned by the OP is 45 cm.

MenloPete wrote: »
    I agree that they are not the greatest, but I have to say that I bought mine from Lidl several years ago and have had great fun with it.
    Sure its only 60cm, but it brings in everything I want, despite the crows picking the cover off the LNB! I even motorised it a couple of years ago and now enjoy several satellites.
    At the time I paid €99 when it was impossible to buy a complete kit for anything like that elsewhere.
    So before you bring it back, have some patience, read about dish alignment and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857636&page=2
    xtanyax try the last few posts on this link.might help.have these exact systems in motorhomes and can get free sat from achill dublin coleraine donegal and cork.its a cheap system but it works ideal for me.make sure you search for astra2.have a look at my last posts there.patience and once you get it up and running you will be able to get it again and again .cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Personally I found it a great intro to Free to View TV. Not knowning anyone who had one previously I didnt want to spend a lot of money on something that could have been a complete waste of time.

I managed to tune it fairly easily, although it was a bit of trial and error

Ultimately my dish blew off the wall, (bracket too weak) and I've since got a Freesat box instead, so I dont have much left to show for my investment other than the cableing!

Would I spend the money again? If I was in the same position, probably yes, but having learnt so much more about satellite since then I would say its worth spending the money and getting a decent piece of kit to start with

BTW, I was on the 4 Irish channels only before this so anything was going to be an improvement!

Thats very true it really raised the awareness level of free to air satellite and at that price level it was worth a punt. Its just a pity that they are now selling a 45cm dish rather than the 60 cm sold previously. 45 is fine in Germany but not so good here.

When these systems were first introduced in Ireland you could not by anything comparable at the price but thankfully this is no longer the case.

homer911 wrote: »
    Personally I found it a great intro to Free to View TV. Not knowning anyone who had one previously I didnt want to spend a lot of money on something that could have been a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Good thread
    Lidl / Aldi camper dish is too small for Ireland.

Their standard big dish can be delicate, easy to blow off signal or break.
    The lidl receiver is very good (as long as the remote works - can be difficult to get a replacement remote).

Sky boxes can be tempermental, I'm on my third, might need a 4th soon. My Sky dish does rust but its a strong robust dish.
    Just my two cents from personal experience.:D

the bloody sky dishes rust the minute the years warranty is up, awful eyesore of things. Good galvanised dish is the job, not a spec of rust or discolouration on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

not worth buying cheap dishes at all, I had one and replaced with a triax and it hasn't moved in 4 years and not a spot of rust etc on it.

Same here;)

• Advertisement

the bloody sky dishes rust the minute the years warranty is up, awful eyesore of things. Good galvanised dish is the job, not a spec of rust or discolouration on it

Or else get a good tin of matt spray paint for the rusty sky dish.
    Around the coast i would prefer to install a Visiosat Fibreglass dish but people wont pay extra for that.

Just a little update.. i brought it back to lidl & i told the girl that i wanted a refund, she asked me was it faulty so i told her that it wasn't picing up any stations, so she just said ok its faulty & gave me my 80euros back!:) I was a little bit disapointed that i couldn't setup the dish, becuase the box (sl 65/12) was a great little box i heard & there was also a patch i had downloaded to pick up more channels, thats if i could setup the dish:o.. Happy that i got my few bob back, surprisinly enough though there was lots of them still there on sale! Thanks a million for all the help you guys! It hasn't by no means put me off freeview/freesat etc.. next time i would just invest in a decent sized motorised dish with about 2 to 4lnb's, but when that will be only God knows! :)

next time i would just invest in a decent sized motorised dish with about 2 to 4lnb's, but when that will be only God knows! :)

Just so you know a motorised dish only needs one lnb, a fixed dish though can have several lnb's for different satellite positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

homer911 wrote: »
    Ultimately my dish blew off the wall, (bracket too weak)

The bracket is the worst part of these "Lidl" systems.

The recievers and the LARGER versions of the dishes (used with a PROPER bracket) are okay for the money if one doesnt intend living at their current address long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rayzor187

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Eh, did you read any of the above posts???
    DO NOT BUY THESE, THEY WILL NOT WORK!!!
    I have 2 of the SL65 boxes from LIDL and they work perfectly. Both connected to the one dish with the LNB provided. It takes some patience , that's all. They DO work.

• Advertisement

Fair play, great first post :)

Rayzor187 wrote: »
    I have 2 of the SL65 boxes from LIDL and they work perfectly. Both connected to the one dish with the LNB provided. It takes some patience , that's all. They DO work.

Rayzor187 wrote: »

Would you be able to post some pics of your dish and especially the back bracket thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Dindane

How well would these boxes work to pick up French or German channels?

Dindane wrote: »
    How well would these boxes work to pick up French or German channels?

The comag receivers will pick up European channels but the satellite dishes that Aldi/lidl sell are pure crap. Buy a good 80cm dish and a free to air box from a supplier see the sticky threads in the satellite thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Right folks i need some advice..

Ive a sky dish in the house..We dont use sky no more and just use the free channels on it..The sky is in the sitting room and in my room upside, ive only 4 boring stations..

Now i want to get more channels into my room, but i dont fancy putting another dish onto the house,its my mam and dads house and i dont want the hassle of having to install it..

What can people reccomend me to do, and in simple terms as im not a techie wizzard and i really dont know much about this stuff.

Also i dont want to be watching the same thing as them down stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Well... get one of those http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9239827/Trail/searchtext%3EVIDEO+SENDER.htm

i'ts pretty straight forward installation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I have a small Sky Sattelite Dish hooked up to a Dreambox. Its all about the tuner in the box guys! Cheap tuner **** reception. The dish doesnt have to be any bigger. Its cheap parts in the box thats causing the mayhem. I have a 120cm motorized dish which I used with a Technomate 5400+ which worked great. Moved house and need to set the motorized system up with the dreambox. The big dish is for further away european sattelites.

Also with the dreambox hooked up to my router I can view stations from any internet source with vlc player through wifi. So Multiroom not a problem! As long as your watching the same station.

Well... get one of those http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9239827/Trail/searchtext%3EVIDEO+SENDER.htm

i'ts pretty straight forward installation

That is no good for the OP he said he dont want to watch the same channel as his folks

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Right folks i need some advice..

Ive a sky dish in the house..We dont use sky no more and just use the free channels on it..The sky is in the sitting room and in my room upside, ive only 4 boring stations..

Now i want to get more channels into my room, but i dont fancy putting another dish onto the house,its my mam and dads house and i dont want the hassle of having to install it..

What can people reccomend me to do, and in simple terms as im not a techie wizzard and i really dont know much about this stuff.

Also i dont want to be watching the same thing as them down stairs.

Replace your single lnb on the dish with a Quad lnb and run a cable from it to your bedroom and get your self FTA box or a freesat box for your bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Replace your single lnb on the dish with a Quad lnb and run a cable from it to your bedroom and get your self FTA box or a freesat box for your bedroom

Mate im not being smart,or rude, but could you explain that in simple terms please..

• Advertisement
Advertisement