Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Announce HTC Desire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Anyone know whether they'll be doing this on Best of both (preferably "BOB 25")? That would be my ideal price plan. 100 texts/month just isn't enough, and the other networks are quite expensive too. I only go through about €20 a month as it is, with the free texts on Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

was in a 3 store this evening and they seem to think it could be out next week ... they had recieved the marketing flyers for it this week and all they are waiting for now is the stock ..he said on of the reps had one on him this week
    did not get an exact date but he did call someone while i was there who also thinks it could be next week so who knows.

anyway the flyer had the following prices
    from 79 for bill pay
    349 best of both
    399 PAYG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

ftm2008 wrote: »
    was in a 3 store this evening and they seem to think it could be out next week ... they had recieved the marketing flyers for it this week and all they are waiting for now is the stock ..he said on of the reps had one on him this week
    did not get an exact date but he did call someone while i was there who also thinks it could be next week so who knows.

anyway the flyer had the following prices
    from 79 for bill pay
    349 best of both
    399 PAYG

Jesus if its €79 on Relax 950 for 18 month contract, then they can forget it!

Way off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 deadlytea

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Jesus if its €79 on Relax 950 for 18 month contract, then they can forget it!

Way off!
    I seen the price list a few weeks back at the Grafton Street branch and it was €99 for relax 150 i think for 18 months. It certainly looked reasonable enough. The PAYG price is €399 (x10 is €549 in store) so using that as a base price then the 18 month tariffs shouldn't be too bad. It's a phone in demand but, hey, Three also need to compete with other networks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

deadlytea wrote: »
    I seen the price list a few weeks back at the Grafton Street branch and it was €99 for relax 150 i think for 18 months. It certainly looked reasonable enough. The PAYG price is €399 (x10 is €549 in store) so using that as a base price then the 18 month tariffs shouldn't be too bad

Yeah, but that's e30pm + e10pm if you want the 1gb data package

Relax 150 - 40 * 18 + 99 = e819.
    150 units to be split amongst text and calls. They give you an extra 150 units per month for the first 6 months.

Meteor Smart (12m contract) - 35 * 12 + 169 = e589.
    Meteor Smart (18m contract) - 30 * 18 + 169 = e709.
    200 minutes + 200 text + 1gb data.

I'm thinking Meteor on a 12 month contract is the way to go and they have stock online now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

They have it listed in carphone warehouse from €79 pay monthly and €399 pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Meteor have them back in stock online now but have up "While stocks last"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

id imagine you'd get the 1gb download add on for a free when you get the desire

as i got the iphone off them earlier this week and they give you the 1gb download for free with that

I dont really make much calls so im gonna try get as much text and net in a package :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

So the 3 store in Tallaght told me today that the Desire has been pushed back to MID JULY!!! This weeks story is that the Desire has been recalled. Apparently it can't be found anywhere on the island. I was told that to my face by two staff members.

After they finished spinning their yarns I walked around the corner to the Meteor store who still had stock and were expecting more stock early in the week. Needless to say when I asked about the product recall they said they'd heard nothing. Though they added that they had heard that the Desire software was clashing with the 3 network (I don't know how true that is but I suppose if any network knows about android software bugging out on a network it would be Meteor).

Just thought I'd save you all a trip to a 3 store or the cost of a call to customer service and post the latest steaming pile of BS from 3 straight to Boards.

Enjoy!

raeGten wrote: »
    So the 3 store in Tallaght told me today that the Desire has been pushed back to MID JULY!!! This weeks story is that the Desire has been recalled. Apparently it can't be found anywhere on the island. I was told that to my face by two staff members.

After they finished spinning their yarns I walked around the corner to the Meteor store who still had stock and were expecting more stock early in the week. Needless to say when I asked about the product recall they said they'd heard nothing. Though they added that they had heard that the Desire software was clashing with the 3 network (I don't know how true that is but I suppose if any network knows about android software bugging out on a network it would be Meteor).

Just thought I'd save you all a trip to a 3 store or the cost of a call to customer service and post the latest steaming pile of BS from 3 straight to Boards.

Enjoy!

Not saying your right or wrong, but I also was in a Three store and they are expecting a shipment / delivery tomorrow.
    Make of that what you will?
    Might give them a call in the morning and see, not going to waste my time going into the store without confirmation thats its there.
    Too many stories going around.
    This was a brand new 3 store BTW.

Not saying your right or wrong, but I also was in a Three store and they are expecting a shipment / delivery tomorrow.

Hi gpjordanf1. Can you tell me which store you heard that in?
    There are too many stories going around and I'd be worried that's just another....but if it isn't...
    I would have thought that I would have heard directly from 3 before the stores ever got their hands on them though.

its getting crazy now at this stage :mad:

Wish there was a spokesperson on Boards that could clarify the situation. O2 and Vodafone are so much better at communicating with their customers. It's the uncertainty and the conflicting stories that really irratate me!

Enjoy!

That's odd. I was in the Meteor store in the Square, ready to sign up with them and they told they me they had no stock. That they would be getting it in next week. Went over the CPW, they had stock but wanted e40 more than Meteor did so I though I'd wait. Meteor wanted e179 for the handset on a 12 month contract, CPW wanted e209 for the phone on the same contract!

Was told be someone in Three yesterday that the delay is being caused by HTC struggling to adapt the software that 3 always bundle - planet 3, MSN (or WLM or whatever it is), Skype etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 deadlytea

Make of that what you will?
    Might give them a call in the morning and see, not going to waste my time going into the store without confirmation thats its there.
    Too many stories going around.
    Was in Henry Street branch and they were saying delivery expected on June 27th. More BS probably. Hey gpjordanf1, let us know if you get any joy tomorrow...where was that store btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 3sam

deadlytea wrote: »
    Was in Henry Street branch and they were saying delivery expected on June 27th. More BS probably. Hey gpjordanf1, let us know if you get any joy tomorrow...where was that store btw?

the problem is 3 were spposed to have this released by now but htc delayed releasing it to us, i believe other stores have had to return the desire for software issues.

3 will not have this handset until july....

3sam wrote: »
    the problem is 3 were spposed to have this released by now but htc delayed releasing it to us, i believe other stores have had to return the desire for software issues.

Are you an offical 3 Representitive or a 3 Stockist or a chancer?

Anyway called into the store and there was 2 different lads there, spoke to them and one was the manager, told him the story and he said the staff should not have said it would be here today.
    He doesn't know when it's coming out
    theres also software problems with the Vivaz & wave.I said I would like to see the Desire, X10 and Wave running before I'd commit to one.
    He said he couldn't so that, because once the box is opened it has to be sold.
    How am I supposed to decide which phone I'd like? Without seeing them in the flesh?
    He didn't know.
    I said my goodbyes.
    Disheartening!
    Sorry for getting your hopes up guys!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tbh why anyone would be still waiting for 3 is beyond me. This thread is nearly 2 months old and still no sign of them :rolleyes:

Tbh why anyone would be still waiting for 3 is beyond me. This thread is nearly 2 months old and still no sign of them :rolleyes:

Did you leave 3 for the desire or were you with another provider already?

If you jumped, what is the comparison between the Networks like, coverage and most importantly billing?

Would love to hear that, because its my main reason for staying with 3, best value for money around, infuriating at times but them the prices we pay.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, feedback of other networks would be great. I'm particularly interested in the Meteor offer. It's GREAT value.....but I'm obviously worried about the quality of the network. Do they even HAVE a 3G network?

No that they're all saying July at 3, I jst give up. The fact that they're also having problems with the Wave and Vivaz is just shocking. I was one of the fools who rushed in and bought a SE Satio from 3 before Christmas. I came to my senses within the 2 week window and returned it. Hoped to go for the Desire in May but surprise surprise, 3 screwed up yet again.

Anyway, anyone who has a Desire on Meteor...let me know, should I make the switch?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Did you leave 3 for the desire or were you with another provider already?

If you jumped, what is the comparison between the Networks like, coverage and most importantly billing?

Would love to hear that, because its my main reason for staying with 3, best value for money around, infuriating at times but them the prices we pay.
    No I am with 02 and was able to go in and buy it last Friday. I am considering moving to Meteor though as the 1 gb package is very tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Are you an offical 3 Representitive or a 3 Stockist or a chancer?

Anyway called into the store and there was 2 different lads there, spoke to them and one was the manager, told him the story and he said the staff should not have said it would be here today.
    He doesn't know when it's coming out
    theres also software problems with the Vivaz & wave.I said I would like to see the Desire, X10 and Wave running before I'd commit to one.
    He said he couldn't so that, because once the box is opened it has to be sold.
    How am I supposed to decide which phone I'd like? Without seeing them in the flesh?
    He didn't know.
    I said my goodbyes.
    Disheartening!
    Sorry for getting your hopes up guys!

Can't help on where to get the Desire, but in the Three store in Cork all the display phones are working so it's easy to check the differences between the various phones. Not sure if other Three stores have this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Absolutely, feedback of other networks would be great. I'm particularly interested in the Meteor offer. It's GREAT value.....but I'm obviously worried about the quality of the network. Do they even HAVE a 3G network?

No that they're all saying July at 3, I jst give up. The fact that they're also having problems with the Wave and Vivaz is just shocking. I was one of the fools who rushed in and bought a SE Satio from 3 before Christmas. I came to my senses within the 2 week window and returned it. Hoped to go for the Desire in May but surprise surprise, 3 screwed up yet again.

Anyway, anyone who has a Desire on Meteor...let me know, should I make the switch?

I have switched from 3 to Meteor, just because I was sick of waiting for 3 to give us what we want.

From a technical point of view, I have had no issues at all. I picked up the phone last Tuesday and have been using voice, texts and data while playing around with it. I travelled from Athlone to Galway and apart from a few blackspots, the data was fine (was using it for Google Maps navigation). Have had no missed calls, no dropped calls, no problems at all with any connectivity problems, unlike 3 (I am sure we have all experienced 3 dropping from 3G coverage and not connected to 2G properly), in fact the Meteor network is great in that it reverts to Edge if the 3G signal drops and goes back up to 3G when available and it does it without any issues or problems.
    I can honestly say that I have been impressed by the quality of the Meteor network and the connectivity of the HTC Desire on the Meteor network. So if you were thinking of swicthing from 3, the network for me isn't a consideration, it is as good as or in some respects better than 3's network.

They only stickler for me, is the loss of seperate minutes for 3 - 3 calls. I am on Smart 35 which has 200 minutes, but the equivalent 3 package was 150 flexiunits and 150 minutes to any 3 number (the wife is on 3), so I am probably losing out there.
    Also I spent a fair bit of time in Sweden recently and the 3 like home saved me a fortune in phone calls. I have no plans to travel at the moment so the loss of that is not important, but if I was to travel I would get a 3pay sim.

So in conclusion, as far as I am concerned, the only consideration should be, are you getting similar minutes/data from Meteor for a similar cost from 3, if so you can happily switch.

By the By, if anyone knows any free navigation apps where you can download the maps to SD card, I would love to hear about them

That's my problem too. My wife is on 3 so I'd loose the 3 to 3 minutes. Thing is, the 200 free minutes would still be enough to cover ALL my calls. It's my wife's bill that would probably go up because she makes a LOT more calls and sends a LOT more texts than I do.
    The included 1GB a month is really tempting.....that's 9.99 saved over 3 straight away.
    It was the quality of the network I was worried about but you've put my mind at ease on that.

Was worried that the free month they gave me because of the delay with the Desire may have tied me in to a new contract so I called. I'm clear to switch to Meteor. CS guy said that they would have the Desire at the start of July and was I sure I wanted to switch....but come on, how many times have we been told it's just two weeks away? Have to check with the local Meteor store and hope they still have stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

3sam wrote: »

Am I missing something.... but if there are all these 'software issues' and HTC dragging their feet... how come THREE UK are able to sell the Desire?
    http://threestore.three.co.uk/dealsummary.aspx?offercode=24TX50D003 :confused:

I've been told that 3UK and 3IRE are totally different companies that operate independantly of one another. Then again, I may have been told this by someone in 3IRE customer care and that happened to be that weeks excuse. So......who knows!

soc wrote: »
    Am I missing something.... but if there are all these 'software issues' and HTC dragging their feet... how come THREE UK are able to sell the Desire?
    http://threestore.three.co.uk/dealsummary.aspx?offercode=24TX50D003 :confused:

All the stuff you get for the 30pounds :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Do Vodafone sell the HTC Desire unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

and a 24 month contract!

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    All the stuff you get for the 30pounds :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Fungus wrote: »
    Do Vodafone sell the HTC Desire unlocked?

Yes.

To give some feedback on networks - I have a Desire with Vodafone and another phone with Meteor.

My main use is with vodafone and their network is rock solid. They're also best if you do a lot of roaming as far as I'm concerned. I'm on their Perfect Choice Access Plus 300 plan which is 300 minutes, 300 texts 2 GB data and free VF calls and texts. (I make about 450 mins of calls to other VF numbers each month). They're not the cheapest though (€60 for that package).

I find Meteor coverage patchy, even around Dublin. I'm on PAYG with them as I mainly use it for receiving calls. I had one of their Broadband sticks to try it out and it was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dacelonid wrote: »
    I travelled from Athlone to Galway and apart from a few blackspots, the data was fine (was using it for Google Maps navigation).

Google Navigation loads up the journey at the start so it only goes back for more data during the journey if you deviate or search so it's not a measure of data access during a journey.

I jumped from 3 to meteor today. Will miss the 3 to 3 calls too.

The phone was unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

That's my problem too. My wife is on 3 so I'd loose the 3 to 3 minutes. Thing is, the 200 free minutes would still be enough to cover ALL my calls. It's my wife's bill that would probably go up because she makes a LOT more calls and sends a LOT more texts than I do.
    The included 1GB a month is really tempting.....that's 9.99 saved over 3 straight away.
    It was the quality of the network I was worried about but you've put my mind at ease on that.
    If you can both change network O2 and vodafone appear to have best 3g networks. Vodafone has 150 talk+txt 2GB and free vodafone to vodafone talk and txt. O2 has similar 150talk 100txt and 2GB. Both 18 month contract. Or they have sim only plans with free talk and txt to own network. Obviously you'd then have to buy the desire sim free.

and a 24 month contract!

Didnt see that bit a take back my :eek:

And add a :eek: for the 24 month contract :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Didnt see that bit a take back my :eek:

And add a :eek: for the 24 month contract :D:D

Yeah, but my point is at least the Desire IS available on THREE UK and you know under what cost/contract conditions.... that's a hell-of-a-lot more than what THREE IRL are providing! At the moment, what THREE IRL are spouting to people seems to be pure speculation... and it's pi$$ing off alot of their customers.

All I want to know at this moment of time is how much THREE IRL want for the phone, and what my contractual obligation is with them before I decide whether to get the phone with THREE or not.

Has 3sam being silenced by the powers that be?

Or has the heat in the kitchen just got too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hopefully he's gone to the uk to pick up a truck load of phones

• Advertisement

Hopefully he's gone to the uk to pick up a truck load of phones
    :D
    Me first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rubber soles

like a lot of you im also on the three net and due an upgrade. was waiting on the desire but there seems to be no end in sight. problem is that i need to stay with 3 for the free 3 to 3. would the xperia x10 be a decent substitute for the desire even if its running older o/s. i think its getting 2.1 later in year with hd on camera

like a lot of you im also on the three net and due an upgrade. was waiting on the desire but there seems to be no end in sight. problem is that i need to stay with 3 for the free 3 to 3. would the xperia x10 be a decent substitute for the desire even if its running older o/s. i think its getting 2.1 later in year with hd on camera

I've played with the xperia in store and the desire is way ahead of it. The touchscreen is much more responsive and clarity is much better. If you're stuck with three then I'd recommend waiting, you won't be unhappy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

and a 24 month contract!

but at only £30 a month? That's €36 a month. I go through about €20/m as it is with no minutes and no internet. That's an amazing deal. If I were in the UK, I would snap that up like that *snaps fingers for effect that is woefully missed online*

To be honest, I'd just be happy if they could get the bl**dy phone on the shelves in 3 Ireland.

Has anyone heard anything about 3 Ireland introducing new price plans for Superphones? I'm thinking of the kind of deals that Meteor and Vadafone have where along with minutes and texts you also get 1GB of Data per month. With 3's flexi minutes you'ld only get 150 MB with zero texts and zero minutes for 30 euro a month. There's an option to ad 1GB but that would cost another tenner a month.
    They don't seem competitive on the data offerings for Bill pay.
    I'm really thinking I should just go to Meteor....plus I could have the Desire straight away instead of two weeks from Never with Three!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any who has got an iphone upgrade with them got 1GB of data thrown in as well as double flexi units for 6mts, the 1GB can also be used for tethering the o2 & Meteor data with their smart phone plans can't be used for tethering..

Any who has got an iphone upgrade with them got 1GB of data thrown in as well as double flexi units for 6mts, the 1GB can also be used for tethering the o2 & Meteor data with their smart phone plans can't be used for tethering..

Am I not looking in the right place or is there no information about the iphone price plan on the three website. It's like they don't sell it.
    Also, by "tethering" do you mean using the phone as a "modem" with a laptop to access the internet as opposed to accessing the net directly from the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Hi All, I said this before... I phone can be bought by people who want to upgrade. For those who want to buy desire, I would suggest to buy this iphone and swap it for desire. I did it and desire works excellent...I are getting phone, you are getting 1GB allowance. I managed to install skype so this is available on desire.

iwo wrote: »
    Hi All, I said this before... I phone can be bought by people who want to upgrade. For those who want to buy desire, I would suggest to buy this iphone and swap it for desire. I did it and desire works excellent...I are getting phone, you are getting 1GB allowance. I managed to install skype so this is available on desire.

Iwo.... What do you mean? Did you go for the iPhone upgrade and sell the iPhone privately. Then buy a Desire privately again and use it on the 3 network instead....with the package you got with the iPhone?

What do you pay each month with 3 and what data and minutes and text allowance do you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

hi, yes, I got iphone as an upgrade. I am on relax 150 - 30euro/month. I got iphone for 129euro. They doubled my minutes for next 6 months plus I got 1gb allowance. I swap the iphone for brand new desire. There is a guy on ebay selling phones (lad from Ireland - dublin area). I am using desire for about 4weeks with no problem, 3g works fine. I was very surprised with setting as i didnt have to do anything with it!! I just put simcard and chose i
    three ireland - all setting were uploaded automatically, I am able to check minutes etc. Mails, web, texts etc, works very well under 3g. The only bad thing is battery life...one day is a max...So...get iphone with allowance, sell it and get desire or wait for htc evo!

• Advertisement
Advertisement