Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonights LOI

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

monkey9 wrote: »
    Especially on Monday nights when MNS is on
    And extra especially cos I can't go Monday nights

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And extra especially cos I can't go Monday nights

same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A compilation of goals from Galway United's last four games....

Dundalk, Drogheda, Pats and Bray.

High definition - Link

Normal quality - Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

A compilation of goals from Galway United's last four games....

High definition - Link

Normal quality - Link

Great strikes from Flood against Drogheda and Bray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Bad scenes in Dundalk,Setanta now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Disgraceful scenes on Setanta.

The only good thing I suppose is that they have all these muppets on camera now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Dissapointing to see, specially with the match being televised, any potential fans, young and old will surely be put off from attending games in the future.

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What happened?

Chambers very wrongly sent off, then MO'N as well for trying to talk to him on his way off, then the scum element from Rovers got involved to try and get at Dundalk fans, the Gardaí stepped in and pushed a big metal gat to try and hold in about 100 of them. They started pushing against the gat and swinging boxes at the Gardaí. Very bad publicity for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hate these ****ers who embarrass our club. They were on camera, now we saw who did it, get these people and ban them from every stadium in the country.

Ah right, twats.

On another note, I miss another game and we win, haven't been to a winning match since Drogheda away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

What happened?

Usual Craptown stewarding happened. Rovers fans down behind the dugout in front of the stand had a go at the fourth official for sending MON off. Cops overreacted and pushed the Rovers fans back up the terrace and some handbags happened. No arrests, no punches landed.

Not pretty, but not exactly Heysel as some are making out

Cops overreacted and pushed the Rovers fans back up the terrace and some handbags happened. No arrests, no punches landed.

Are you having a laugh?
    The Rovers Fans behind the dugout were making there way towards the dundalk fans, one dundalk fan, who was obviously lookin for a fight, was about to be pummeled by a few Rovers fans before stewards began pushing them back.
    The Barrier was then put up, thanks to the guards, but punches were 100% being thrown and one or two looked like they connected towards the guards by one particularly ugly looking group of fans.
    Arresting anyone fan at that stage would have been counterproductive and surely led to more riotous behaviour from the group of thugs.
    I'm fairly certain bans will be handed out and one or two arrests made after video footage is reviewed.

The whole incident came out of immaturity by the two managers, which is really dissapointing too see.

only1stevo wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh?
    The Rovers Fans behind the dugout were making there way towards the dundalk fans, one dundalk fan, who was obviously lookin for a fight, was about to be pummeled by a few Rovers fans before stewards began pushing them back.
    The Barrier was then put up, thanks to the guards, but punches were 100% being thrown and one or two looked like they connected towards the guards by one particularly ugly looking group of fans.
    Arresting anyone fan at that stage would have been counterproductive and surely led to more riotous behaviour from the group of thugs.
    I'm fairly certain bans will be handed out and one or two arrests made after video footage is reviewed.

So you agree that ultimately it was a Dundalk fan who started the aggression?

It was handbags. Cops pushed a load of people backwards, in an extremely aggressive manner and some fans didn't react to that well. I didn't see any punches or arrests. It is always something with the cops in Oriel. Either hiding or overreacting, never the sensible approach.
    The whole incident came out of immaturity by the two managers, which is really dissapointing too see.

I think it came from a series of bad calls by the referee. Sending Chambers off was bad, sending MON off was worse, and demanding the stewards and Gardai move into a group of fans giving the linesman stick was insane

So you agree that ultimately it was a Dundalk fan who started the aggression?

It was handbags. Cops pushed a load of people backwards, in an extremely aggressive manner and some fans didn't react to that well. I didn't see any punches or arrests. It is always something with the cops in Oriel. Either hiding or overreacting, never the sensible approach.

I think it came from a series of bad calls by the referee. Sending Chambers off was bad, sending MON off was worse, and demanding the stewards and Gardai move into a group of fans giving the linesman stick was insane

Ultimately, this isn't a "but he started it" argument.
    The initial aggro came from the managers, the group of thugs(not football fans) behind the dugouts preceded to make their way towards the dundalk fans in an aggressive manner. The dundalk fan(singular), was also acting aggressively and squared up to the handful of thugs.
    The cops weren't aggressive enough for my liking, allowing the thugs to throw punches at them? Must have been humiliating.

Never a sending off, for player or manager, but nonetheless, it's a pity it happened,especially with it being televised, bans will be handed out(possible arrests too), and any potential fans have another reason not to attend LOI matches in the future.

• Advertisement

Ultimately, this isn't a "but he started it" argument.
    The initial aggro came from the managers, the group of thugs(not football fans) behind the dugouts preceded to make their way towards the dundalk fans in an aggressive manner. The dundalk fan(singular), was also acting aggressively and squared up to the handful of thugs.
    The cops weren't aggressive enough for my liking, allowing the thugs to throw punches at them? Must have been humiliating.

Never a sending off, for player or manager, but nonetheless, it's a pity it happened,especially with it being televised, bans will be handed out(possible arrests too), and any potential fans have another reason not to attend LOI matches in the future.

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

It was handbags. No punches were thrown. Cops overreacted and Rovers fans reacted to that. I think the fact that there were no arrests says a lot. There was no reason to stop the game.

Didn't look good, but lets not lose the run of ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rovers in crowd trouble shocker? :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The officials were poor, neither the player or the manager should have been sent off.

The rovers fans went through their barrier and there was a bit of a confrontation. The stewards, but mainly the Garda moved them back, nothing major, I thought the Garda did do a good job considering they were being baited. They were struck out at and stuff was thrown but they didn't raise a hand or a batton in retaliation which would certainly have left it a lot worse. They'll be looking at the footage no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

100 or so fans involved? Went up after the match and there wasn't many more than that coming out with the Gardaí.

It was handbags. No punches were thrown. Cops overreacted and Rovers fans reacted to that. I think the fact that there were no arrests says a lot. There was no reason to stop the game.

Well done on the comedy. I rofl'ed.....

The confrontation between the managers was handbags.

Punches were thrown.

The Guards did not overreact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Usual Craptown stewarding happened. Rovers fans down behind the dugout in front of the stand had a go at the fourth official for sending MON off. Cops overreacted and pushed the Rovers fans back up the terrace and some handbags happened. No arrests, no punches landed.

Not pretty, but not exactly Heysel as some are making out

:D:D:D

Yes the innocent Rovers fans were just trying to have a go at the forth official. It was all a misunderstanding. It was all the guards and Dundalk Stewards fault..... :rolleyes:

Absolute SCUM involved in that. Typical Rovers response from you, blame everybody else but the knacker element that is attached to your club.
    Thankfully there was decent Rovers fans trying to stop it or it could have been worse. The initial fight that broke out was when a rovers fan threw a bottle on the pitch. Normal rovers fans stood up to him and the scumbags started on them.
    Such a shame as 30/40 scumbags have just given the 400 or so decent rovers fans that travelled a terrible name as they will all be tarred with the same brush.

Lets wait and see if the FAI feel the same as you that it was just handbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was up there tonight.

Garda were right not to wade in as it would have really ignited things and there wasn't an awful lot of them anyway.

Hancock is an absolute travesty of a referee and inflamed things badly. The fixture always has the potential for trouble and you have a (tied) thin fence between away and home supporters (goading during the disturbance) and a power-tripping clown like Hancock in charge.

Depressingly, I expect a (warranted) serious slap-down for the club which means even more valuable membership money being flushed down the piss-hole by the antics of people who probably are not even season ticket holders, let alone members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ffs onyd, never Rover's fault is it :rolleyes:

Covering yourselves in glory again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Someone seriously needs to sort out that problem at Rovers, badly. We're absolutely muck and I'd still rather be in our position than theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What is it with soccer and hooliganism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

I don't know what game you were at. There was segregation in place. Muppets broke through it. Luckily, gardai handled it very well. Punches were thrown - it's on TV.
    The tension initially started when Gaynor came to the wall beside Rovers fans to celebrate the first goal. A plastic bottle was thrown. When Dalk scored the second, about half a dozen of them came over to the Rovers fans to celebrate. Another bottle thrown. The stewarding was an absolute sham. However, luckily for everyone, the Gardai did a very good job.
    During the seven minute stoppage another bottle and the leg of a stool were thrown onto the pitch. This was also shown on TV.
    The seven minute stoppage ( timed by Setanta ) plus the substitutions, should have meant a 10 minute period added. However, there was only 5 added. If the full 10 minutes had been added, we may have got a totally undeserved draw - who knows.
    Apart from a 20 minute spell in the second half, we were totally outplayed. I think Dalk are the best team we've played against, although their small squad might not keep them at the top.

Orizio wrote: »

Monkeys apeing monkeys.

Monkeys apeing monkeys.

Well said.

Bit suprised at the lack of publicity this whole hooliganism incident has recieved in the media, if this was a Leinster/Munster Rugby match, for example, then the media interest would be considerable imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I dunno..it happens on the pitch in GAA, off the pitch with football. Who knows why..

Dave! wrote: »
    On topic, anybody got a video of the incident?

I'm always a fan of baton-charging hooligans, absolute dirtbags

Quite. The Garda Siochana keeping everything in check as usual. Spare the rod and all that.

Presumebly it will be repeated on Setanta, and put up on youtube soon enugh.

• Advertisement

I suppose what I would like to know why this kind of incident gets none to very little media coverage in Ireland?

I suppose what I would like to know why this kind of incident gets none to very little media coverage in Ireland?
    The fact that most of the country doesn't give a crap about LOI I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hate those pricks who ruin the game. I do not want to be anywhere near the scum element. Some ****ers just don't learn. Some of these morons complain about not enough people attending matches, there's your reason why. One bunch ruins the whole reputation of Rovers fans.

There is only one solution and that is to ban every wanker who starts trouble permanently. I wish the Gardaí are allowed to crack open their heads.

Possibly because nobody cares enough about it to come into this forum and hold forth unless there is a fight or we're playing a mega club in a friendly.

CSF wrote: »
    Someone seriously needs to sort out that problem at Rovers, badly.

It's very worrying for a lot of us too, although I know you would find that hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I just the news this morning. How did Rovers fans get those bottles and stuff past security.
    Would expect FAI to come down very heavy on the club on this. And its a shame because most of the folks in that club are Rovers die hards who supported their club in the darkest of times.
    But the unruly element has to be weeded out once and for all. Does the image of the league absolutely no good at at all.

I just the news this morning. How did Rovers fans get those bottles and stuff past security.

The x-ray scanners haven't been working at the away send in Oriel for quite a while now. Pretty bad stuff to be honest. Needs to be addressed asap.

stovelid wrote: »
    The x-ray scanners haven't been working at the away send in Oriel for quite a while now. Pretty bad stuff to be honest. Needs to be addressed asap.
    Yes assume any father thinking about bringing his kids to match will be put off by this. Again most fans who go to these game are extremely well behaved but this is a very bad day for League.
    Know it happened in the context of a decision during the game but there can be no excuse whatsoever for this.
    When this is breaking news on a sports bulletin you know its a bad sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The seven minute stoppage ( timed by Setanta ) plus the substitutions, should have meant a 10 minute period added. However, there was only 5 added. If the full 10 minutes had been added, we may have got a totally undeserved draw - who knows..

We couldn't believe when the board went up with 5 minutes. I think the ref just wanted the game over. Could have been worse as looked like he was going to call it off at one stage.
    Apart from a 20 minute spell in the second half, we were totally outplayed. I think Dalk are the best team we've played against, although their small squad might not keep them at the top.

I still think that Rovers and Bohs will finish in front of us. Third is definitly a possibility though. Our first 11 has proven itself a match for anyone but we have nothing on the bench. We have been lucky with injuries so far but suspensions will hurt us badly. If and it's a big if we can stay clear of injuries and avoid suspensions against the better sides who knows what might happen. We're enjoying ourselves anyway!

It's been a great season so far and still Europa league to look forward to. :)

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    We couldn't believe when the board went up with 5 minutes. I think the ref just wanted the game over.

Just when we were belatedly putting some pressure on as well. Hanock is a disaster.

Just when we were belatedly putting some pressure on as well. Hanock is a disaster.
    Its thirty seconds per sub isnt it. How much injury time was there played after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Silly post, he was right to end the game early.

Blaming the ref here is shunting the blame. He can't be as bad as the shíte we have to put up with in the FD, and we don't have riots.

No, refs are bad all over the LoI, but 21 other clubs' fans don't start riots if they don't like decisions.

This is an element associated with SRFC, and continuous denial and blame shifting isn't on.

Where these bottles that were thrown on to pitch plastic or glass. Anyone know the exact specifics of what happened yet?

Des wrote: »

Blaming the ref here is shunting the blame. He can't be as bad as the shíte we have to put up with in the FD, and we don't have riots.

No, refs are bad all over the LoI, but 21 other clubs' fans don't start riots if they don't like decisions.

This is an element associated with SRFC, and continuous denial and blame shifting isn't on.

Hancock is a disaster. No question about it. He's not fit for the job, even by the expected dire standard of LOI officiating.

That in itself is not a denial of shifting of blame for last night's events. I'm as worried as anybody about what's going on.
    Anyone know the exact specifics of what happened yet?

I was there. As were, I assume, a lot of the Rovers supporters who post here.

Rovers Im sure will deal with fans who were at fault but new ones always come along. FAI needs to send a very strong message out that this can't be tolerated. This behaviour is not acceptable in any code especially where you have families attending games.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »

I raised the point about the lack of full added time. At no point did I try to deny or blame shift. The fact is that there was a 7 minute stoppage plus a number of substitutions and injuries. There should have been at least 10 minutes added. He only added 5. We are allowed to talk about other aspects of the game apart from apes and muppets.
    One thing is for sure, from a football point of view, only one team deserved to win last night and it wasn't Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

To be honest if I was the ref I would have stopped the match dead right for the ref not to play all the extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be honest if I was the ref I would have stopped the match dead right for the ref not to play all the extra time
    I dunno if that is really a fair thing to say, while I agree the scum element of Rovers have ruined the chances of getting back into the game, and definitely influenced the amount of extra time played, but the referee is still there to play it by the rules. If there was more extra time to be played, it should have been played.

dreamers75 wrote: »

WARNING FOR SHELS AND BOHS SUPPORTERS

Above article contains the phrase MODEL CLUB, used by Fran Gavin in relation to Rovers.

This may cause offense and widespread outbreaks of roll-eyes.

Please proceed with caution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement