Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonights LOI

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

stovelid wrote: »
    WARNING FOR SHELS AND BOHS SUPPORTERS

Above article contains the phrase MODEL CLUB, used by Fran Gavin in relation to Rovers.

This may cause offense and widespread outbreaks of roll-eyes.

Please proceed with caution.
    To be fair though, I think even you would probably think him playing down stuff like this is a disgrace. How many times can we play down incidents like this involving the same club? The club needs to boot out around 1 or 2 hundred of its supporters, never to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CSF wrote: »
    To be fair though, I think even you would probably think him playing down stuff like this is a disgrace. How many times can we play down incidents like this involving the same club? The club needs to boot out around 1 or 2 hundred of its supporters, never to return.

Club has already commented.

Personally, I would like to see some bans over this if only because it's hurting us financially, is going to lead to a fairly hard punishment eventually and obviously somebody is going to get hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Any chance Rovers will be deducted points over this? I preume they can only be fined.

I feel sorry for 95% of supporters that love Rovers but this type of carry on from the yobs needs be addressed.

The game needs move forward not backwards like it is at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yes assume any father thinking about bringing his kids to match will be put off by this. Again most fans who go to these game are extremely well behaved but this is a very bad day for League.

Hardly, look at West Ham last season and Luton yesterday for example, will hardly stop people going to matches over there? Doubt it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hardly, look at West Ham last season and Luton yesterday for example, will hardly stop people going to matches over there? Doubt it!

True but the Irish sporting public is already looking for an excuse to ignore the LOI and these mouthbreathing scangers give it to them on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes Gavan but dont think there are the same problems with attendances. At a time when clubs are struggling with their finances and attendances this is not the best publicity for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bah UCD
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Any videos of the trouble last night?

Any videos of the trouble last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfG-dH7JBs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

To be honest if I was the ref I would have stopped the match dead right for the ref not to play all the extra time

Why? There was no encroachment onto the pitch, no-one was injured or arrested.

The cops pushed a few fans back up the terrace. Whoop de do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Des wrote: »
    Silly post, he was right to end the game early.

How is he right to play an 88 minute game?

Orizio wrote: »
    I suppose what I would like to know why this kind of incident gets none to very little media coverage in Ireland?

I would dispute that, in my opinion this minor incident has gotten a huge amount of press, largely because the minister for justice was at the game and has weighed in.

Des wrote: »
    ffs onyd, never Rover's fault is it :rolleyes:

Covering yourselves in glory again

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that very little happened to get upset about. People shouldn't be throwing bottles, and that goes for the Dundalk fans as well, but a bit of pushing with the cops is hardly the end of the world. No slaps landed from either the fans or the cops.

The fact that there were no arrests should say something to you.

Yes Gavan but dont think there are the same problems with attendances. At a time when clubs are struggling with their finances and attendances this is not the best publicity for the league.

Elements of the media who ignore the domestic game will jump all over any incident. Its been happening for 20 years.

Watch how the Luton carnage is completely ignored while this is laughably dragged out. With no mention of the score.

At least none of our support set themselves on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I would dispute that, in my opinion this minor incident has gotten a huge amount of press, largely because the minister for justice was at the game and has weighed in.

Really is typical that the minute something bad happens in this league, that its all over the media.

In saying that, its nothing new from your support. Calling it a "minor incident" is a bit of a joke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The cops pushed a few fans back up the terrace. Whoop de do.

You're really showing the class of yourself and your fans with your posts. Why do you insist on defending the scum from last night and trying the play down the incident.

"Minor incident" :D I'd hate to see what your major incidents are like if attacking cops, stewards, throwing missiles fighting amongst your own fans are all judged as a minor incident in your opinion.

dfx- wrote: »
    How is he right to play an 88 minute game?

How is he right to swap the linos to the opposite wing. Putting the worst linesman in the league Mark Douglas on the side we are defending in the last few minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Nope, just attack your own fans, stewards & guards. Class acts

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In defence of LOI referees, I find they're all consistently crap. Throws a bit of character into the league :rolleyes:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It does stop some people. I remember a group of us going to a Rovers game only for the scum to start trouble. Inside the stadium is only half the trouble. Outside, they start trying to rile up the Gardai, maybe pelt a few rocks at some cars. Thrash a street.

doncarlos wrote: »
    How is he right to swap the linos to the opposite wing. Putting the worst linesman in the league Mark Douglas on the side we are defending in the last few minutes?

It's a remarkable lack of faith in your assistants..

He has nothing to blame for the delay, but his refereeing has to be questioned in Rovers games at the very least. Right back since 1998 in the same ground when Derek Tracey scored a winning goal to everyone in the ground except him who gave a goal-kick. It turned out there was a hole in the side-net, yet it is still an error up there with Poll's yellow cards.

He might have to sit even nearer the Dundalk fans when they next come to Tallaght than last time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Didn't realise this lad was a Dundalk fan.

RTÉ saying there were 500 fans up for the match, I'd love to know where they all disappeared to after the match, looked to be around a hundred and most coming out of the match.

amacachi wrote: »
    RTÉ saying there were 500 fans up for the match,

I would have said 4-500 myself.
    amacachi wrote: »
    I'd love to know where they all disappeared to after the match, looked to be around a hundred and most coming out of the match.

The guards wouldn't us walk toward the town for about 5 minutes after. You usually just head home sharpish after the game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I would have said 4-500 myself.

The guards wouldn't us walk toward the town for about 5 minutes after. You usually just head home sharpish after the game anyway.

I was around when the fans and Gardaí were walking towards town, unless ye were brought in groups I dunno what was happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yeah, that's a pity alright.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a pity alright.

I thought encountering us on fire once would have been enough for you lot recently. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I thought encountering us on fire once would have been enough for you lot recently. :)

Touche

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It does stop some people..

I was standing right beside the melee last night. I'm pretty pissed off by it, but to say that you'd be too traumatised to return to football is a bit much.

Fair enough if you have kids there, but nobody should really be bringing kids to away fixtures like Oriel or Dalyer anyway.

I was standing right beside the melee last night. I'm pretty pissed off by it, but to say that you'd be too traumatised to return to football is a bit much.

Fair enough if you have kids there, but nobody should really be bringing kids to away fixtures like Oriel or Dalyer anyway.

Ah here none of us were traumatised now. Occasional matches are still attended, but no new fans were made that day! You'd understand why anyone would want to stay away though. Anybody should be able to attend any Rovers game and it's disgusting that the scum have ruined so many things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

After Kildare county went to the wall I found myself with no team to follow, I went to Bohs, Rovers, Shels and Pats home games to get a feel for a club. (It is really difficult to just decide to start following someone)

The reputation of *some* rovers fans meant I was never going to support them even though they are the nearest club to me and these type of incidents only confirm it for me, and in my opinion will have a negative effect on attracting new and casual fans to the league and the club.

• Advertisement

Ah here none of us were traumatised now. Occasional matches are still attended, but no new fans were made that day! You'd understand why anyone would want to stay away though. Anybody should be able to attend any Rovers game and it's disgusting that the scum have ruined so many things.

Rovers home games must be amongst the best policed and family-friendly in the entire country, and the fact that Tallaght Stadium is packed with familes every game and that we have an excellent relationship with the Tallaght Gardai more than backs that up.

The picture some of you are painting to neutrals makes it sounds like there are running battles every game, even away?

Club statement:

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1331-club-statement-on-oriel-park-incidents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rovers home games must be amongst the best policed and family-friendly in the entire country, and the fact that Tallaght Stadium is packed with familes every game and that we have an excellent relationship with the Tallaght Gardai more than backs that up.

The picture some of you are painting to neutrals makes it sounds like there are running battles every game, even away?

Club statement:

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/35-news/1331-club-statement-on-oriel-park-incidents
    I don't think people are trying to make out that the games are a warzone, but the stuff that does go on, and the characters that do be at the games are enough to turn any newcomer off. You don't have to be fearful for your life to be disgusted by it and not want to be associated with it. I can understand why any current Rovers fan want to associate themselves with the better aspects of the club instead, and that makes perfect sense. But for a neutral, I can only see that Rovers would be the least attractive choice for any neutral adult at the moment, even below us in the First Division. If for some reason I had to support another Dublin club, Rovers would be my least choice, embarassingly my first choice would probably be Pats, even though I'd rather never see another game than support any other club.

It does stop some people. I remember a group of us going to a Rovers game only for the scum to start trouble. Inside the stadium is only half the trouble. Outside, they start trying to rile up the Gardai, maybe pelt a few rocks at some cars. Thrash a street.

I've followed Rovers home and away for 19 years and I've never seen that. I know of the incident inside the ground at the School End of Dalymount in 2000-ish and one outside Inchicore in 2003.

There is no reason whatsoever for a neutral fan to be turned off going to Tallaght. The matchday experience is unparallelled in this country (which is arguably hampering Rovers home form)

Mother of God. What utter tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

You forgot to include the Love Ulter riots. That was started by Rovers fans too. I havn't gone near O'Connell Street since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

You forgot to include the Love Ulter riots. That was started by Rovers fans too. I havn't gone near O'Connell Street since.

Did you not see all the Rovers flags and jerseys on the tele the other night in the middle of the riots in Greece. Rumour has it was started in an Irish bar after seeing the Dundalk match.

Completely unlike the Bohs fans (oh wait apparently they were cardif or something) who started going postal in Bray last season.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

iregk wrote: »
    going postal
    :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Im not saying it happens every game, home or away, Tallaght is a brilliant stadium.

Refering to the throwing rocks, it only ever happened at one game, by a group of scumbags. These muppets do no good to our rep. Anyway we're going on Friday :pac:

Advertisement