Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I delete my boards account?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

This is the re-opened and sensible older brother of that train-wreck from last night...

Anyway, Darragh's post above is how we do this for people and that's the final word on it for now :)

Please feel free to expand on this topic only from here on in...

Dav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Dav wrote: »
    This is the re-opened and sensible older brother of that train-wreck from last night...

Anyway, Darragh's post above is how we do this for people and that's the final word on it for now :)

Please feel free to expand on this topic only from here on in...

Dav
    Okay Dav. Apologies for dragging this off topic a bit last night and it wont happen again.. Can I clarify this. If I were to close an existing account (and don't intend to if at all possible) and opened a new one what are the procedures.
    Am I entitled to post under new account without my old account names being dragged up?
    In other words if everything was cleared upstairs, am i allowed a fresh start. To all intents and purposes I don't tend giving up my SOTS account because if anything else i quite like the name.
    But would like to have the option of making a new start if absolute worse comes to worse and would like to do with minimum fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But there is no such thing as "a new start".

If people figure out, by whatever means, who you really are it doesn't really make much difference what moniker you use

Sprirtoftheseventies
    Fake Locke
    onestepahead

They are all the same person, now I don't know your real name, and I don't want to, but it doesn't matter what pseudonym you choose, it's still the same person behind it. People will associate your past actions with the new account, because you don't get to say "You can't bring up things that other account did/posted because that wasn't me". It was you, it always will be.

Des wrote: »
    But there is no such thing as "a new start".

If people figure out, by whatever means, who you really are it doesn't really make much difference what moniker you use

Sprirtoftheseventies
    Fake Locke
    onestepahead

They are all the same person, now I don't know your real name, and I don't want to, but it doesn't matter what pseudonym you choose, it's still the same person behind it. People will associate your past actions with the new account, because you don't get to say "You can't bring up things that other account did/posted because that wasn't me". It was you, it always will be.
    I can't help Des if people are that obsessed about it. But sometimes a fresh start should mean exactly that.
    Again I'm not going to give up the username lightly as I feel comfortable with it now. But would like that option open to me and to have it done with the minimum of fuss.
    Again Im hoping to ride this one out but if worse comes to worse I just want to know that what is the proper procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's not an obsession thing SOTS, it's more like "Oh I recognise that posting style, I wonder if the person posting that with a new account is the same person who operated that other old account". Most of the time it's obvious, and yeah, it can impact on how posts are interpreted. And so it should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Certain posters have a certain distintic tone of voice, use of language and over all posting style that along with being know for certain opinions will flag the new account to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Once again you are responsible for what you post on this site, or any site, no matter what username you post under.

Therefore past behaviour and actions will always be taken into account.

Don't cause hassle. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Okay Dav. Apologies for dragging this off topic a bit last night and it wont happen again.. Can I clarify this. If I were to close an existing account (and don't intend to if at all possible) and opened a new one what are the procedures.
    Am I entitled to post under new account without my old account names being dragged up?
    In other words if everything was cleared upstairs, am i allowed a fresh start. To all intents and purposes I don't tend giving up my SOTS account because if anything else i quite like the name.
    But would like to have the option of making a new start if absolute worse comes to worse and would like to do with minimum fuss.

You're entitled to post under your new account, yes, but if other people make the connection between the new and old, that's not really something we can do anything about - and I don't see why we should to be honest. If (and I'm not personalising this to you SotS, this is just an example) you've been a bit of a numpty with an account and you start a new one it doesn't mean you weren't a numpty to begin with but it may mean that you've realised there's more to Boards.ie than having a bit of a laugh and that's no bad thing.

To tout an oft-used phrase by DeV "you own your own words" whether they be posted by your first account or your 50th. If you've decided that you want a new account for whatever reason, that's fine, but if you're going to that trouble and then continue to post in the same style and tone as before then not only are you wasting your own time and effort, but you're wasting ours in accomodating you. However, we wouldn't publicise that somebody's got a new account - I see no reason for that either.

Dav

But there is a section in the public profile which allows for people to input thier previous accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thaedydal wrote: »
    But there is a section in the public profile which allows for people to input thier previous accounts.

I believe that is done automatically when you change your username

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I believe that is done automatically when you change your username

Is it automatic? I recall looking at a few profiles and some do have previous nic's mentioned, but not all. I assumed it was optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

juke wrote: »
    Is it automatic? I recall looking at a few profiles and some do have previous nic's mentioned, but not all. I assumed it was optional?

I don't know for certain but I changed my username a while back and my previous nic shows up on my profile. I didn't enter it there though, and don't see any option to remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

But sometimes a fresh start should mean exactly that.

People often manage a fresh start in real life, without entering some sort of witness protection program. Mostly what it involves is not trying to hide from your past, but rather accepting it and not trying to excuse it.

I don't think it should be part of anyone's job to play some sort of nursemaid role, protecting people from questions they don't like or points they would rather not see, simply because they've decided they want a fresh start.

Ultimately...if an individual wants to turn over a new leaf, its up to them to convince anyone they need to that this is what they've done. Its no-one else's job to force that on others for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I can't help Des if people are that obsessed about it. But sometimes a fresh start should mean exactly that.
    Again I'm not going to give up the username lightly as I feel comfortable with it now. But would like that option open to me and to have it done with the minimum of fuss.

I'll regret getting involved in this again...

Why should people simply forget that you are who you are?

I've already told you the best way to a new start, that is to cast off all aspects of your current personna, and build a new profile. The problem you will encounter is your inability to let things go, not other user's inability to let things go.

That is why you would end up continuing discussions started under the SOTS profile with your new profile, why you would post in exactly the same way, and demand the exact same things. And we will all realise that you are indeed another incarnation of BVC/Fake Lock/SOTS, and treat you accordingly.

You cannot deny your past activities, life does not work that way. You can work to repair your reputation, but constant Feedback/Help Desk threads, social groups to affect change and all the rest that you seem so intent on doing WILL DO NOTHING TO REPAIR YOUR REPUTATION. Posting in a sensibile and constructive manner will do you a lot of good, but be warned: if you post seriously off the wall opinions people will challenge them...that is not bullying, that is the nature of public debate.

Your future is in your own hands, do not blame other users for the outcome of your own actions.

I've already told you the best way to a new start, that is to cast off all aspects of your current personna, and build a new profile. The problem you will encounter is your inability to let things go, not other user's inability to let things go.

That is why you would end up continuing discussions started under the SOTS profile with your new profile, why you would post in exactly the same way, and demand the exact same things. And we will all realise that you are indeed another incarnation of BVC/Fake Lock/SOTS, and treat you accordingly.

You cannot deny your past activities, life does not work that way. You can work to repair your reputation, but constant Feedback/Help Desk threads, social groups to affect change and all the rest that you seem so intent on doing WILL DO NOTHING TO REPAIR YOUR REPUTATION. Posting in a sensibile and constructive manner will do you a lot of good, but be warned: if you post seriously off the wall opinions people will challenge them...that is not bullying, that is the nature of public debate.

Your future is in your own hands, do not blame other users for the outcome of your own actions.
    To be fair the question has been answered on previous page. Maybe I have burned my bridges on one forum but otherwise my rep is in good nick elsewere. Will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And you know - further to this - I want to say that changing personas in order to run away from things you may have said and the way you may have acted, is an oftentimes cowardly act that says a lot about your character. You'd get more respect by keeping your warts and living with them. Unpopular posters dont stay unpopular forever.

Overheal wrote: »
    Unpopular posters dont stay unpopular forever.

Tell that to Boston :P

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Tell that to Boston :P
    There. You see? Case and point: she didn't say Me :pac: Theres hope for everyone

ah Bless, Dude seriously you don't rate that high when it comes to the utter arsetolltards I've seen and had to deal with over the years. Yes there were time you were being a mook
    but you started to straighten up and fly right, you may still turn out to be an utter assclown or someone who contributes well to the site, or someone in between, I've reserved judgement :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Overheal wrote: »
    And you know - further to this - I want to say that changing personas in order to run away from things you may have said and the way you may have acted, is an oftentimes cowardly act that says a lot about your character. You'd get more respect by keeping your warts and living with them. Unpopular posters dont stay unpopular forever.

Absolutely correct, don't know what I was thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

But what happens if a poster has decided to change their style for want of a better word but is met by a barrage of reminders of past posts which is undermining their attempt to change??
    I'd imagine that must be very difficult to deal with, it might be better if they did change their persona and maybe then other posters may unwillingly commence a new , less fractious relationship with them..maybe, although that would be pointless if posters set out to uncover their old persona again and keep old battle lines drawn
    They rise above it.

If they are trying to turn over a new leaf and start a new account brilliant,
    if they fail to post in a differnt manner and keep on in the same about the same topics then people will put 2 and 2 together and feel that the poster has been trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes and that pisses people off.

If you want a new start and create a new reputation in the communty here, its possible but not if you don't change, this isn't anything new, it's so old it's got a gathering card.

newnicksamecrap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

But what happens if a poster has decided to change their style for want of a better word but is met by a barrage of reminders of past posts which is undermining their attempt to change??
    I'd imagine that must be very difficult to deal with, it might be better if they did change their persona and maybe then other posters may unwillingly commence a new , less fractious relationship with them..maybe, although that would be pointless if posters set out to uncover their old persona again and keep old battle lines drawn

That's just life though..

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's just life though..

You are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Don't get me wrong, I'm not oblivious to some of the goings on in the past of particular posters and I would like to think that if a person decides to change they would be given a fair chance, ya know....:) and if they fcuk up again then they should take the consequences on the chin!!!!

I agree with you that lifes just like that but it does make a situation very difficult to evolve into a better, more relaxed nicer one rather than the baiting that is going on

Well it's a question of whether or not you're entitled to immediate and complete absolution from your previous fcuk ups.

Maybe in an ideal world.

In real life if you behave like a numpty for months on end and then one day wake up and decide you want to be a better person then I'm sorry but you're going to have to spend a bit of time convincing the people you've been a numpty to that your heart is now in the right place.

The instance where someone wants to continue behaving like a numpty but just doesn't want people to call them on it anymore is obviously a different one, but may be more relevant here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You know how bad this whole thing with sots has got? I think that every poster who agrees with him is actually him under a different name.

Retracts everything for a peaceful life........

SantryRed wrote: »
    You know how bad this whole thing with sots has got? I think that every poster who agrees with him is actually him under a different name.
    You have to love the feedback thread. Quality post that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I notice that facebook has come under pressure from data privacy authorities to allow deletion of user data on demand.
    Darragh wrote: »
    We do not delete posts or threads except in extraordinary/required circumstances - this is to preserve the flow of discussion on the site.

Under the Data Protection Act, posts aren't considered "Personal Data".
    This doesn't sound right to me. I am not a lawyer but I have to comply with the data protection laws.

In the amended act, personal data is defined as:
    “personal data” means data relating to a living individual who is or can be identified either from the data or from the data in conjunction with other information that is in, or is likely to come into, the possession of the data controller;
    Now the data controller (that's boards.ie) is storing the user's email address and possibly other personal data as there are other optoinal personal fields. In conjunction with the information revealed in posts, I'd say that people are quite identifiable in most cases. paula.johnson@ucd.ie posts 'I've just bought a new blue Ford'. This is personal data according to the Act.

In fact the act further defines “sensitive personal data” as personal data including political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, whether the data subject is a member of a trade-union, the physical or mental health or condition or sexual life of the data subject and so on. All of this is typical fare for a posting in boards.ie

Now the data protection doesn't just grant a right for a consumer to have his data deleted at a whim but it does grant that right where the data controller fails to protect personal data against unauthorised access (Section 6).

As it happens, boards.ie some months ago was compromised and all user accounts were accessed without permission.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article7026385.ece

So, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that everyone who had an account prior to that event has the right to have their posts deleted.

And I would suggest changing your procedures to allow posters who have registered before your incident to have their posts deleted, even if it does disturb the flow of a thread.

But that's just a suggestion.

6. Right of rectification or erasure.

6. (1) An individual shall, if he so requests in writing a data controller who keeps personal data relating to him, be entitled to have rectified or, where appropriate, blocked or erased any such data in relation to which there has been a contravention by the data controller of section 2(1) of this Act; and the data controller shall comply with the request as soon as may be and in any event not more than 40 days after it has been given or sent to him

2. Collection, processing, keeping, use and disclosure of personal data.
    2.1.(d) appropriate security measures shall be taken against unauthorised access to, or
    unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of, the data, in particular where the
    processing involves the transmission of data over a network, and against all other unlawful
    forms of processing.

• Advertisement

That depends on your definition of Personal Data, and your acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of using the site, which include the right to publish information. Namely, anything you write as part of the body of a Post.
    Information you post

Any personal information which you volunteer in your public profile or post on the forums will be available worldwide to anyone with access to the website.

Please do not post any information you are not happy to leave up indefinitely. We recommend you do not post your name, address, telephone number email address or anything else that may lead someone to identify you if this is something you are uncomfortable with. Please note that we do not delete posts on request, except in special circumstances.

Please note that certain information (such as photographs) which you may choose to provide might reveal your gender, ethnic origin, nationality, religion and/or sexual orientation.

Advertisement