Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I delete my boards account?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I guess it's all a question for the data commissioner but it should never come to that. The fair thing to do is to remove compromised personal data on request and to accept that an individual's legal rights to data privacy can't be simply abrogated with a click.

But maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dynamick wrote: »
    I guess it's all a question for the data commissioner but it should never come to that. The fair thing to do is to remove compromised personal data on request and to accept that an individual's legal rights to data privacy can't be simply abrogated with a click.

But maybe I'm wrong.
    In fairness moderators already do a handy job of snipping loose email addresses, phone numbers, and other types of personally identifiable information. Your opinions however are not given the same sacrosanct. Anyone can have an opinion; its only when you say something that offends people AND give out your personal contact information that you are likely to run into trouble.

edit: as for standing by your record and not changing accounts to hide from your past, I don't think DeV would mind given the nature of his post that I link you to these words of wisdom from 15 months ago: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58887493&postcount=213
    DeVore wrote: »
    So you get to retract your abusive post but I dont?

I would edit my post and remove that comment but I am firmly FIRMLY against the revision of history. I said it, I'm not proud of it, but I dont deny it happened and I wont touch-up my history to make me look like an angel. I'm not.

So, should you be banned now from this forum for abuse? You claim I should be but you shouldnt? Would that seem fair to you?

You wrote a pile of vitriol, then you thought better of it and accepted it was wrong and hotheaded. Wanna know the really truely ironic bit? You could have left it there and apologised and said what I have just said and I wouldnt have banned you. Not in a million years.

I have done bad things in my life. I have beaten people unconscious, I have broken people's bones, broken laws and broken the hearts of people I truely love. And I am not that person any more. I have spent a long time making myself NOT THAT GUY. I changed and when I did someone who had power over me gave me a second chance (and a clipped ear and a boot in the arse metaphorically) and I turned my life around. So there, DeVore has clay feet and a less then spotless past.

I judge who the person is now and I stand on my record and challenge anyone to say I dont strive to be as fair as possible.

I'm think I'm done with this thread, I must sleep. Its deadline is tomorrow night.

DeV.

Still quite insightful today.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I notice that facebook has come under pressure from data privacy authorities to allow deletion of user data on demand..

Facebook is very much a different animal to boards.ie,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Maybe I,m missing something here.,So a post is your personal data? but when you post in a thread on a public forum arn't you deliberatly posting with the intent that that information will be pubically accessible.
    And furthermore you political or religious opinions is sensitive personal data ??
    The rule is simple , if you don't want others to see this data, or you can,t stand over what you say then don't post it on a public forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd say that people are quite identifiable in most cases. paula.johnson@ucd.ie posts 'I've just bought a new blue Ford'. This is personal data according to the Act.

An email address does not post information though, a pseudonym does, and that pseudonym is not an identifier, it cannot be linked to an email address via Boards.ie, by anyone who isn't an Admin.

I have no clue who "dynamick" is, no idea if you are male or female, Irish or Danish, live in Dublin or New York.

I don't know, nor have any way of finding out, your name, age, location, what you had for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Des wrote: »
    I don't know, nor have any way of finding out, your name, age, location, what you had for breakfast.

Unless of course the user either posts this in his user profile (which he can remove) or posts it in posts which he can't remove....either way its obvious as hell if your providing the information to the public

Cabaal wrote: »
    Unless of course the user either posts this in his user profile (which he can remove) or posts it in posts which he can't remove....either way its obvious as hell if your providing the information to the public

But if the user has openly provided this information publicly themselves, hen is it at the behest of Boards to remove it at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

But if the user has openly provided this information publicly themselves, hen then is it at the behest of Boards to remove it at a later date.
    Agree there.

Agree there.

Agree with what? I was asking a question.

Agree with what? I was asking a question.
    Well then to answer your question its no ;)

• Advertisement

An email address does not post information though, a pseudonym does, and that pseudonym is not an identifier, it cannot be linked to an email address via Boards.ie, by anyone who isn't an Admin.
    But what if the site owners failed in their legal duty to protect the email data from unauthorised access? Wouldn't that mean that whoever copied the data would be able to link back the email address with the pseudonym revealing all the personal data that the poster had trusted the site owners only to publish pseudonymously?

The problem that no admin has answered here is that the legislation specifically requires that a data controller must agree to remove personal data on request where that personal data has been compromised through unauthorised access.

I'm just pointing it out. An anomaly, doncha know?

But what if the site owners failed in their legal duty to protect the email data from unauthorised access? Wouldn't that mean that whoever copied the data would be able to link back the email address with the pseudonym revealing all the personal data that the poster had trusted the site owners only to publish pseudonymously?

The problem that no admin has answered here is that the legislation specifically requires that a data controller must agree to remove personal data on request where that personal data has been compromised through unauthorised access.

To be fair Dynamick Boards have asked everyone to change any passwords and stuff at this stage so there really isnt any excuse for date being compromised any more.

To be fair Dynamick Boards have asked everyone to change any passwords and stuff at this stage so there really isnt any excuse for date being compromised any more.
    OK, my last post on this - honest.

Somewhere there is a criminal who has obtained a list of every username and email address of every member of boards.ie

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

The privacy of the data is now compromised because it is in someone else's hands and may be sold on or simply published on the internet at any time. If anything, people post more freely on boards.ie than they do on facebook, as they are posting under pseudonyms and trust boards.ie ltd to protect their identities.

And the law provides for this situation and simply requires that a data controller erase information on request where such a breach has occurred.

But if the user has openly provided this information publicly themselves, hen is it at the behest of Boards to remove it at a later date.
    The thing is you have every right to publish your email address and phone number, but Boards aside from very very few exceptions will not honor that, and will delete your information, for this very reason.
    But what if the site owners failed in their legal duty to protect the email data from unauthorised access?
    They didn't though. They did everything one should expect to protect that data. It was a pretty freak and sophisticated attack from my understanding and it took them all of 20 minutes to detect and halt the attack. You would have a very hard time proving it failed to do everything reasonable to protect your protected data (your Email Address and Passwords; IP Address, etc)
    Wouldn't that mean that whoever copied the data would be able to link back the email address with the pseudonym revealing all the personal data that the poster had trusted the site owners only to publish pseudonymously?

You know what? You might have a point there.

Perhaps it would be as simple as scrambling your username while deleting your account.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is no proof that Boards.ie failed to protect your data. Basing a case on that would be very week.
    For arguments sake imagine this. A person writes a letter to an evening newspaper & requests name & address be withheld. The letter is printer & the paper goes into circulation. Now say some time after that the newspapers systems are compromised & that name & address may have been viewed by a third party. Should the newspaper be responsible for that letter which was published & have to go looking for any copies & be oblidged to destroy them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

OK, my last post on this - honest.

Somewhere there is a criminal who has obtained a list of every username and email address of every member of boards.ie

The privacy of the data is now compromised because it is in someone else's hands and may be sold on or simply published on the internet at any time. If anything, people post more freely on boards.ie than they do on facebook, as they are posting under pseudonyms and trust boards.ie ltd to protect their identities.

Well then people should use an email address which is not connected with their real name for using boards.ie, it's not the sites job to teach people who to make sure there is a disconnect between who they are in real life and their nom de internet.

And the law provides for this situation and simply requires that a data controller erase information on request where such a breach has occurred.

What are the criteria which makes a company a data controller?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What are the criteria which makes a company a data controller?
    Wouldnt it be anyone that stores your data? Gmail is a data controller for me. Deviantart is another. So are Photobucket and Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I am looking for the citrea laid out by the data commissioner as to what constitutes a data controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"data controller" means a person who, either alone or with others, controls the contents and use of personal data;

Anyone effectively. (What Overheal said)
    But what if the site owners failed in their legal duty to protect the email data from unauthorised access?
    Data Protection Commissioners were satisfied with the protection afaiu.
    Darragh wrote: »
    After the incident both the Garda Computer Crime Unit and the Data Protection Commissioners office have carried out examinations and audits and are both satisfied with their findings, with, in fact, the Data Protection Commissioners Office including a commendation in the report for how we handled the attack.

Advertisement