Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAS ANYONE SOLD A CENTREFIRE PISTOL LATELY

Options
  • 30-04-2010 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if anyone here who is not going down the appeal route has been able to sell their pistol or other restriced gun??
    If so who did you sell it to and did you get a decent price for it.
    I have had 2 offers from dealers in the north but refuse to sell it for the pennies they offered.
    All feedback is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dont bother at the moment trying to sell it for numerous reasons.
    1] It is a buyers market on the Continent and in the US at the moment for handguns.[If however you have a semi auto rifle with tacticool features you can make your money back,or even a profit.:)]

No one is going to pay the kind of money a lot of you bought handguns for here in the Celtic Tiger era and have the hassle of dealing with Irelands paperwork.IE No one will pay 1000 euros for a used Glock 17,which NEW in the box is at worst 850 Euros on the Continent or 450 Euros 2nd hand.

2]There are plenty of folks starting to win cases in the district courts and there are high court challanges aplenty waiting in the wings.Why not wait out these and see what happens?OK it might cost you in storage,but remember keep your recipts for your court case and claim the storage costs as well off the Gardai.You are perfectly entitled to do so.Not to mind range /gun club fees that you couldnt use due to no liscense.

3] Why would you want to allow some dealers to profiteer more off our misery by taking a cut for doing this sale for you?They did very well off us in the good times,now they can suffer like the rest of us in the bad .
    Nothing stopping you selling it yourself.Plenty of websites out there that allow ligit sales of live firearms.

my 2cents on this.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Really just testing the water for now,gun is in an army barracks at the moment so not costing anything for storage.
    even if its there for another year i dont mind too much,hopefully things might get sorted after all this ****e and might get to keep it after all.
    seen an advert in the for sale/wanted section of this forum so sent the guy a mail just to see what he might offer.
    anyway i have my rifle and shottie so might go out to the lazy dog next week and try a bit of clay shooting.
    interesting to see if anyone has got any sort of a decent offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Dave sorry to hear your situation but like Grizzly said while you we were ripped off during the good times you will loose out on alot of €€€ trying to sell a fullbore pistol (sorry i dont know if you have a rimfire or centerfire) but you do have options.

1. In a lot of cases between pistol, accessories renge fees etc your looking at €1000 and selling on the pistol your looking at easily halving the cost of selling it on.

In my opinion every pistol shooter should be fighting there case or it just proves the point that they dont need or deserve to have the pistol in the first place. If you loose you really arent down anything (this is how i looked at it anyway) but if you win :):):):)

2. Have the gun deactivated... Shock horror !! but youll get a redicilous price from dealers because they are delighted at the plight of the Irish. Again in my own opinion, as im a big shooter if my pistol licence was to be taken off me Id like to keep the deactivated pistol as a momento of the good times (that and the 2k i spent on it id be lucky to get 600-800 back)

3. I hear the norwegian market is pretty strong for selling at the minute so it is possible to sell privately if you know someone there but forget Northern Ireland and Germany ! There tax rates are so low that as Grizzly said its not going to yield you and favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

How old is the gun Dave, how many rounds put through it?

At the end of the day, how much is a Glock 17 worth, how much are they new, €700?

Not trying to put a dampener on things but just pretend for a second there was no hassle licensing CF pistols, what kind of money would a gun like that be worth in the middle of a recession?

If you can legally keep it in the barracks, I'd leave it there until this sh!t storm settles!

Just my 2cents, best of luck with it whatever you decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i have heard that pistols such as glocks or hk's are fetching 150-200 euro tops and pistols like the sigs maybe 100 more , the dealers up the north have to contend with the recession too i suppose and the market is well and truly flooded.
    it makes fighting a case a bit more worthwhile i suppose.

• Advertisement

A Sig will make more than a Glock or H&K, they are generally more expensive to buy new!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

IF you can get a buyer that is.
    Hate to say it but a fully customised Sig has as much value here at the moment as any other pistol.
    We cant sell them to each other.
    We cant trade like for like under each other.
    You try selling it in the EU.Unless it is somthing really special,you will find it very difficult to find a buyer,because even the 2nd hand price has to reflect your paid Irish price that you at least break even.And that will still be too much on the EU market.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I traded my Sig in up North, I didnt get top dollar for it, but wasnt expecting to, got more than €100 though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i was talking to one dealer who sent a nearly new sig p226 up north and all it fetched was 350 euro . they ain't worth anything pure and simple , better off fighting to keep them .

Depends on the dealer I suppose and wether or not that dealer has a customer for that gun when it is traded in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement