Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packaging?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question - are stores required to take back their packaging after a delivery? We had a couch delivered the other day, and the delivery company refused to take back their rubbish (loads of plastic), even though I asked them to. They insisted it wasn't their problem, and now we're left with all this plastic to dispose of.

Any information on that appreciated!

(I know this sounds petty, but this is part of a bigger story over delivery charges and their attitude to sales and repeat business...)

Cheers,

galah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If the store is a member of repak, then they don't have an obligation as they pay repak who in tun

Local recycling sites will take all the packaging. Repak part fund these facilities and effectively act as collection points for members waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Cheers for that, will check it out.

They could have mentioned that (if they are a member) maybe at delivery, that would have been useful and would have saved them arguments with me...;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

i would have said the opposite but im open to correction. I though if the company added a WEEE charge, they should take back the packaging? Why does Power City take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I was told by DID electrical that they don't have to take it back.

I got a fridge and washing machine delivered, and they if:

a) don't have your old washing maching/fridge ready to be taken away - they won't wait

b) won't help you unpack/put the new appliance in position

c) won't take away the packaging.

Legally I was told that they only have the take replaced item back (under the WEEE Directive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

WEEE - Waste of Electrical and Electronic Equipment. Here, all companies are obliged to take back the item that directly equals what you have purchased i.e. they take your old fridge on delivery (and up to a couple of months after delivery) of the new fridge. It must be on a like to like basis.

Waste Management Act and Repak - Packaging. All companies, with a turnover in excess of €1million, can join Repak. They must display a certificate in store to this effect, to alert customers that they are participating in this scheme and, as 91011 said earlier, they are not obliged to take your packaging. If they are not a member of Repak, they must display a notice stating that they are compliant with the WMA. They must also take back any packaging that came with their products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement