Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology Question

• 30-04-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just a quick question.

Is their a name for the phenomenon whereby people give positive feedback to a facilitator/tutor after a lesson simply because they like them or because they're put on the spot?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I believe the term your looking for is transference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

thanks odysseus but i'm not sure that's exactly what i'm looking for. i think it's more a social pressure or need to please thing, attached to people not wanting to be very critical. i do remember reading something years ago about this 'effect' in this situation but i can't remember what it is called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Social desirability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

bluefinger wrote: »
    thanks odysseus but i'm not sure that's exactly what i'm looking for. i think it's more a social pressure or need to please thing, attached to people not wanting to be very critical. i do remember reading something years ago about this 'effect' in this situation but i can't remember what it is called.

Well it will vary depending on the model of personality you work from, but it would still be transference in my book, but a lot of other processes can be at play within the transference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Social desirability!

"Social Desirability (n.): A personality trait rendering the individual acceptable in social or interpersonal relations. It is related to social acceptance, social approval, popularity, social status, leadership qualities, or any quality making him a socially desirable companion."

Reference: http://dictionary.sensagent.com/social+desirability/en-en/

Advertisement