Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom are a joke

• 30-04-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

I know I used to work for them well not even them a company called Stream Global in a call centre for their broadband service. I've seen the ads for their fiber broadband network it makes me sick, it does they have no brain power whats so ever.

The reason I'm saying this is have a look at this http://www.businessandleadership.com/news/article/17788/leadership/eircom-goes-transatlantic-via-fibre-deal-with-hibernia

They are going into the American and Canadian market while 80% of Ireland is still stuck with copper wire Internet! it is sick. Ok we have o2, 3, vodafone offering wireless but these are not proper connections you cant do anything other than surf with them or you will end up with a massive bill.

They need to pull their heads out of their ass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

You just wait, eircom will announce in the very near future that they will roll out fibre to home!! now that will take some beating.

Of course the fact that somone decided the local cabinet near my house required some maintenance ie jumpers updated and then proceeded to knock out my line for 4 days and when it eventually came back on reduced the synching speed by about .9mb!! does not really matter because hey! very soon you will have NGB and the fibre to home later so sorry about ballsing up your line now .. but I am sure you undertand etc etc

I despair as you probaly do as well.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Audiomad

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    You just wait, eircom will announce in the very near future that they will roll out fibre to home!! now that will take some beating.

Of course the fact that somone decided the local cabinet near my house required some maintenance ie jumpers updated and then proceeded to knock out my line for 4 days and when it eventually came back on reduced the synching speed by about .9mb!! does not really matter because hey! very soon you will have NGB and the fibre to home later so sorry about ballsing up your line now .. but I am sure you undertand etc etc

I despair as you probaly do as well.

gb--

They told everyone we would all have DSL broadband my 2009 people are still waiting! The fiber broadband needs to have buried cables they will not spend millions on just giving fiber broadband to people when they wont spend any money on giving people dsl!!.

I'm from out side any city or town Eircom will not go to rural area's thats going to put them out of pocket.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Audiomad wrote: »
    They told everyone we would all have DSL broadband my 2009 people are still waiting!

They never said everyone would have DSL, they said everyone would have "Broadband"....sadly they think Three "Mobile Broadband" is Broadband....its not though
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yeah, Eircom are such a poor provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

You cant exactly put copper wire under the sea now, fibre is the only option.

How expensive is it to lay every metre of copper cable, let alone fibe optic? You can't expect every home in the country to be equipped with fibre. Unfortunate as it is, this is one of the disadvantages of living away from the major cities, its just not worth the money to put down fibre.

I think eircom branching out is good, and it eventually will mean better internet access for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

How expensive is it to lay every metre of copper cable, let alone fibe optic? You can't expect every home in the country to be equipped with fibre. Unfortunate as it is, this is one of the disadvantages of living away from the major cities, its just not worth the money to put down fibre.

I think eircom branching out is good, and it eventually will mean better internet access for a lot of people.

Hi Kevin, I have to somewhat disagree with what you state above, the difference in cost of laying fiber vs copper is negligible, as there are many savings and gains to be made by using fibre tech rather than copper. (cheaper and less repeaters, higher bandwidth, etc etc)

I dont think people expect fiber to the technology to cover the whole country, however if a start on installing it doesn't happen soon, then we will be left behind marveling about the wonderful technologies we saw on holiday (if we can afford holidays in the future).

I live 5 miles from Limerick City, less than 100m from an enabled exchange, I'm on an Eircom boradband package, last bill was €146 for two months, yet regularily I have to resort to dialing into servers I maintain. I get upwards of 30% packet loss after 6pm due to over-contention. Eircom answer: Your exchange is due an upgrade soon. WTF??? Im paying for this now!!

I really dont care what Eircom do in the future, but at the moment they are blatantly ripping people off. 4bn in debt means there is no hope of introducing new technologies to Eircom.

The NGB advertising campaign is just a bit of a joke, how can ADSL2+ be NGB???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Xennon wrote: »
    Hi Kevin, I have to somewhat disagree with what you state above, the difference in cost of laying fiber vs copper is negligible, as there are many savings and gains to be made by using fibre tech rather than copper. (cheaper and less repeaters, higher bandwidth, etc etc)

I dont think people expect fiber to the technology to cover the whole country, however if a start on installing it doesn't happen soon, then we will be left behind marveling about the wonderful technologies we saw on holiday (if we can afford holidays in the future).

I live 5 miles from Limerick City, less than 100m from an enabled exchange, I'm on an Eircom boradband package, last bill was €146 for two months, yet regularily I have to resort to dialing into servers I maintain. I get upwards of 30% packet loss after 6pm due to over-contention. Eircom answer: Your exchange is due an upgrade soon. WTF??? Im paying for this now!!

I really dont care what Eircom do in the future, but at the moment they are blatantly ripping people off. 4bn in debt means there is no hope of introducing new technologies to Eircom.

The NGB advertising campaign is just a bit of a joke, how can ADSL2+ be NGB???

Double post!

By the way its only 8Mb ADSL, not 24Mb ADSL2+.
    Which makes this NGB rollout even more of a bad joke:mad:

Apologies for the double post. ADSL2+ is a version of ADSL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Eircom are no more of a joke than any other large company in Ireland.

The problem isn't just with them, it's with our whole attitude as a nation. People keep going on about how proud they are to be Irish and how we're world leaders when in reality we're a failed break-away republic.

Nothing in this country works the way it should and it probably never will because of the 'ah, shure it'll be grand, we'll set up a commitee' attitude at all levels of leadership in both private and public industry.

We're not even a first-world country when you really look at it. We are still part of the 'developing world' as they call it and we even managed to **** that up by pricing ourselves out of the labour market for multinationals.

This whole Eircom thing of selling old tech at a premium price is a prime example of the economic boom that we wasted. Everyone should have fibre-to-the-door at this stage but that's probably about 10 years and 4 or 5 'government commitee for the building of new inter-tubes' away at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Everyone should have fibre-to-the-door at this stage but that's probably about 10 years and 4 or 5 'government commitee for the building of new inter-tubes' away at the very least.

Make that however long before we finally get rid of Eamon Ryan at a general election + 10 years and that is just to do the larger towns and cities.

Even then bob, we dont have an infrastructure, they sold it. So we have to start all over again, which may not be a bad thing, could sort out water and power lines at same time. Imagine a country with a solid infrastructure..........

Oh and other problem.....I wonder is it Monsieur Ryan or the so called advisors in the background that are at fault......someone say GBS schemes?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Eircom are no more of a joke than any other large company in Ireland.

The problem isn't just with them, it's with our whole attitude as a nation. People keep going on about how proud they are to be Irish and how we're world leaders when in reality we're a failed break-away republic.

Nothing in this country works the way it should and it probably never will because of the 'ah, shure it'll be grand, we'll set up a commitee' attitude at all levels of leadership in both private and public industry.

We're not even a first-world country when you really look at it. We are still part of the 'developing world' as they call it and we even managed to **** that up by pricing ourselves out of the labour market for multinationals.

This whole Eircom thing of selling old tech at a premium price is a prime example of the economic boom that we wasted. Everyone should have fibre-to-the-door at this stage but that's probably about 10 years and 4 or 5 'government commitee for the building of new inter-tubes' away at the very least.
    I thought I was the only one!

Thank God I don't have to imagine it, Xennon. I go to Austria every year. The Irish are supposed to be the most welcoming and friendly nation around. What a laugh! Austrians and Germans fit the bill far more than the Irish, in my experience.

There are many problems with Eircom. When they started providing internet services most of their phone engineers became broadband engineers without any training! They have taken few engineers on since. My brother worked as phone support for a year. The engineers had to ring and ask him what the #### they were supposed to do to resolve the issues.

Advertisement