Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Bloom Walk

Options
  • 30-04-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi there,

I am planning to head for the 1st time to Slieve Bloom for a 5 hours walk. Any recommendations? Loop will be the best option. Walk can be quite challenging.

I know there is a walking festival this weekend over there but when I go the the mountains I like peace and quiet with a few people around. Walking in a big group is not very tempting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've attached a Goggle Earth KMZ overlay of a (in fact the one and only!) walk I did in the Slieve Blooms. It's a good bit longer than 5 hours, but you could easily shorten it by missing out the lower loop and following the Slieve Bloom Way between the points where the track crosses the road instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I went up hill walking (first time ever!) in the Slieve Blooms yesterday

enjoyed the day out (depsite the showers)

14km walk to Giants Grave from Cadamstown
    8km walk in Brittas Forest in Clonaslee

anyone got more recommendations for me?
    I'm planning to do walks every weekend from now until September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The Glenbarrow waterfall walk is a great day out and can be long or short depending on your mood. The link below outlines a 3 hour trek but there are a number of much longer options avaliable. The route (mainly above the falls) can be very wet and muddy so gaiters are a must.

http://www.slievebloom.com/glenbarrow-eco-walk\

I'd also recommend the brittas loop from Clonaslee - the basic route is not very long but again you can add much longer sections onto it if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Do you reckon you could wild camp up around them mountain's I heard its gorgeous up around there .
    Well into the wild camping and cleaning up after wards
    no trace . And respect for nature

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hi folks,

Would like to get back into some longer walking and have recently moved to closer access to slieve bloom.

I will have a baby with me and wife so want it to be fairly mellow and with comfortable accommodation close by.

I don't know the area so would like to know if there is anything that would suit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Glenbarrow near Rosenallis & Mountmellick is very pleasant. Look up www.irishtrails.ie for routes and links to walks. Lots of other possibilities in the area.

Advertisement