Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good wet cat food?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good type of wet cat food, preferably that would be unlikely to make a cat sick. See I have a cat with gingivitis (he might have calicivirus) and he can't really eat dry food. Any type of tinned food I've tried him on (just your normal whiskas and kitekat, etc.l) has made him sick about 1/3 of the times he ate it. He didn't overeat it or anything, it just made him vomit.

He currently will only pick at a few pieces of dry food and then eat meat and cat milk (lactol). I know one of the neighbours feeds him chicken or fish every night, she loves him. And I feed him whatever meat we have around just to get him to actually eat something. He's not skinny, but always seems hungry. Maybe cos he's spoilt at this stage. But I'm worried that he'll become deficient in something, so I want to get him onto proper cat food. Or should I try feeding him raw meat and offal instead, to be more nutritious?

Also he'll need quite a few teeth pulled very soon, so then he mighn't even be able to eat cooked meat properly . . . It'll probably just be his back teeth, but they all look pretty bad :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Anyone ever try royal canin oral mature? It says it's good for older cats with sensitive teeth and gums, so I'm guessing it's just really soft, so that might be good . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Zooplus do great food, I feed mine wet food from there and have tried a few different varieities. For every day, mine are on Bozita, which is reasonably good and affordable, but if you're facing a long time of sore mouth, I'd say something like the Applaws would be best, as it's very moist and digestible.

Porta 21 is the same type of food as the Applaws, but cheaper and my cats really love it whenever they get it, it's real strips of meat in a very moist jelly, so that the cat gets a lot of extra moisture out of it too, which is especially important after surgery.

Thanks, I'll check them out :) Zooplus is so great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Royal Canin and Hills do good wet cat foods. Dry food soaked in water to make it mushy mixed with some tinned or fresh fish is also a good.

Thanks :) I'll try that with the fish since I have tins in the cupboard. He's a very very fussy cat though :rolleyes: I blame the neighbour who feeds him!

Also one of his top canine teeth fell out today :( I thought his canine teeth were ok, but obviously not. I mean the canine teeth were pure white, one was broken from getting hit by a car, but the one that fell out looked fine. I guess it's the gums that are bad though. Unless that tooth was loosened when he got knocked down too (a few weeks ago). I have a feeling he'll have very few teeth left after his trip to the vet . . . but if it makes him feel better then that's good. Poor cat, I better get him in to the vets as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

morganafay wrote: »
    Also one of his top canine teeth fell out today :( I thought his canine teeth were ok, but obviously not. I mean the canine teeth were pure white, one was broken from getting hit by a car, but the one that fell out looked fine. I guess it's the gums that are bad though.

The poor cat! Gingivitis can cause tooth loss of (what seem to be) perfectly healthy teeth. Even if he looses all his teeth (I really hope this doesn't happen to the poor pet) he will still be able to eat like a normal cat, just not hunt or eat tough meat. I encountered a dog a little while back that had 2 teeth (a canine and a molar) and he was eating very well, dry food at times too! Their gums really toughen up.

The poor chap has had a hard time of it recently, with his teeth and being knocked down - hopefully it will all clear up pronto and he can leave it all behind him.

Yeah the vet said he'll be fine even if he had no teeth. He loves eating tinned food anyway, so he won't mind at all! He never would eat dry food, preferring to beg for food at several neighbours houses, maybe that's why he has gingivitis. The vet said it was probably calicivirus though. And he doesn't hunt so that's ok.

He also had demodectic mange recently, and he's blind in one eye after being abandoned as a kitten with an infected eye ulcer, so he is quite unlucky! Or maybe he's lucky because someone took him in and because he didn't get any serious injuries when he got knocked down :) And cos he's the only one my cats that gets to sleep in my bedroom and everyone loves him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Whiskers because "9 out of 10 cats prefer it" :p

He keeps getting sick from Whiskas! Maybe it's just cos he's not used to it though. Even with tinned food he has a very small appetite and mostly just licks the gravy off!

But give him some ham and he'll eat loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

same problem here (our cats get sick from Whiskas and Felix). Best one I've found in supermarkets (Tesco) is Sheba (stupidly expensive) or the Gourmet Perle stuff (Dunnes and Tesco).

We also sometimes feed tuna (supermarkets own brand cheap stuff).

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

morganafay wrote: »
    He keeps getting sick from Whiskas! Maybe it's just cos he's not used to it though. Even with tinned food he has a very small appetite and mostly just licks the gravy off!

But give him some ham and he'll eat loads![/QUOTE]

Hee Hee! Don't they all!!

Tinned fish would be good but try mixing it with breadcrumbs and pour the oil from the tin over it to moisten it. You could also try a little of whatever cooked, finely-chopped meat you're having yourself mixed with rice or mashed potato and some gravy. And I've never known a cat yet who didn't love fried liver :)

Advertisement