Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Election Results

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

old hippy wrote: »
    That doesn't necessarily guarantee quality...

Well we are placed 100th and something in the uk.. Last year we were actually placed below 100. Not telling you as someone will likely go and research it and find out what school i am in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Sulmac wrote: »
    The British Prime Minister is not elected by the people (other than those in his/her constituency); he/she is elected by MPs (almost always their own party's MPs if they have a majority) in the House of Commons after the MPs themselves are elected in a general election. This is the same in any parliamentary system - Ireland included.

That's how Ireland does it but not the UK, the British Prime Minister is not elected at all.
    The Queen decides who will be prime minister, depending on protocol.
    This is how come Tony Blair was able to be come PM the day after the election in 1997.

If one party gets an overall majority of MPs, the Queen appoints the Leader of the Winning party as PM.
    If nobody gets an overall majority, the incumbent PM is given a chance to put together a coalition, if he/she can't do it, the Queen offers the PM role to the leader of the (next) largest party in the Commons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

owenc wrote: »
    Yes its called a grammar school!!!

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Well we are placed 100th and something in the uk.. Last year we were actually placed below 100. Not telling you as someone will likely go and research it and find out what school i am in!

I don't think people are that stalkerish here... at least, I hope they're not!

So, let me get it straight - you don't wish to be part of the European Union but you're alright with the United Kingdom? :confused:

I don't think people are that stalkerish here... at least, I hope they're not!

So, let me get it straight - you don't wish to be part of the European Union but you're alright with the United Kingdom? :confused:

Yes because i live there!:rolleyes: The uk is so much better in so many ways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is such a thread fail (as the kids say) as Owen is quite clearly rather young I won't be too harsh.

mike65 wrote: »
    This is such a thread fail (as the kids say) as Owen is quiet clearly rather young I won't be too harsh.

Well at least something is being discussed!

What, how you don't elect a Prime Minister?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yes because i live there!:rolleyes: The uk is so much better in so many ways!

Ok, given your tender age (and sorry for being patronising) can I assume you've not spent time in other countries?

Because, trust me, it's a big and beautiful world out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This is such a thread fail (as the kids say) as Owen is quite clearly rather young I won't be too harsh.

We could call him Grasshopper and teach him to walk on the rice-paper without making a noise? He might then be able to broaden his teachers' horizons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

What, how you don't elect a Prime Minister?

Indeed, or how about, how come in the 2005 UK General election you ended up with a Labour Government even though they only got 35% of the vote.

or how come Peter Mandelson is a Government minster even though he is not an elected MP.

Ok, given your tender age (and sorry for being patronising) can I assume you've not spent time in other countries?

Because, trust me, it's a big and beautiful world out there :)

You are all jealous running about trying to find lists to prove that the uk is rubbish.. well haha its not!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Anyway here the latest based on the poll of polls

As of yesterday
    poll_polls.jpg

Adjusted swing, seat numbers
    30_Adjusted_National_Swing.jpg

Polling tracked since start of campaign
    polling_trend.jpg

So then, the Tories could form a minority government with or without help of some assorted others, a Lib Dem/Lab coalition is also possible but could a deal be done? How desperate are Labour? Might they actually be happy to let the Tories take power for a short lived administration and then pick up the pieces without Brown?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Well, the man from the Bank of England reckons whoever gets into power will be hated for a generation because of the cuts they will have to introduce. So maybe Labour would be happy with leaving the Tories to cope with the mess and then come back in when the economy is on the upswing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The answer to the original question has been answered and this thread since hurts the universe due to sucking the worth out of it.

Owenc, I've sent you a PM, I would appreciate it greatly for you to take note of its content. This isn't a facepalm chatfest arena. Happily it's not going to become one either. Raise standards please, and yes, that's a nudge to others who have posted in the past page or two as well.

Locked for sanity.

/mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement