Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know exactly what this is/does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

mobile distribution board similar to the one in the front hall of your house. It gets plugged in as an extension cable would but it has a breaker switch to stop overloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Thats a hair dryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Dixy wrote: »
    mobile distribution board similar to the one in the front hall of your house. It gets plugged in as an extension cable would but it has a breaker switch to stop overloading.

You are half right.

Its an RCB.

This is designed to detect a current difference between the current going to your device on the Live lead and the return current through the Neutral.

These are normally rated to a 30mA difference and will trip the power if it detects this missing current as it could be either going through you (when you are being electrocuted 50mA can kill) or a faulty device letting some power back through the Earth cable instead of the Neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

It say's 20m cable, looks like an extension socket/cable... (hairdryer not included)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Alkers

RichieO wrote: »
    It say's 20m cable, looks like an extension socket/cable... (hairdryer not included)

Yeah I can see that but it's €50 so I was trying to find out what more it does.

So it's the same as one of those power extension chords suitable for use with a hedge trimmer etc... (as in if you accidentally cut the chord you won't be electrocuted)?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I have one for my camper van, you plug into a mains outlet and I have power in the van. Its cheaper than a propoer electrical hook up. I have seen people use these in tents as well at camp sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

It would appear to be simply an extension bank of sockets that happens to have an RCD built in. Whether or not it is any use depends on your main distribution board. If you already have your 13 amp circuits protected with one or more MCB/RCDs then it would not add anything to what you already have provided that they are C25 units. Doubling up RCDs on the same circuit doesn't really do anything that a single RCD wouldn't do.

If you have one of the old ceramic fused boards then you need RCD protection badly, but you can achieve that with standard extension leads by using a plug-in RCD in the mains socket that you choose to use.

I'm not convinced I would want to pay €50 for a single extension with only three sockets irrespective of the RCD, unless it does come with a hairdrier and a blonde:p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

I would think it can take more of a load than an extension lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Mute

It cooks, cleans, and entertains me when I get back from the pub:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,681 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Surge protector/Plug Extender/USB Hub/Blah :)

surgeprotector.JPG

Basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

neeb wrote: »
    I would think it can take more of a load than an extension lead.

Not if it plugs into a 13 amp socket;)

Advertisement