Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian seeking social welfare

• 30-04-2010 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    if anyone can help or advise on this matter it would be great. An italian friend of mine working and living in ireland for the last 3 yrs recently lost her job in dublin. She went to the dole office to sign on but because she has property in italy is was told she entitled to nothing. Her property in italy is a house in which her grandmother is living in "usufruct"...meaning she gains no income from this property.

Has my friend any chance of receiving social welfare as she feels having paid tax to the irish government she should be entitled to something?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my understanding is that any european citizen living in Ireland - paying taxes....when they become unemployed is entitled to either unemployment benefit/assistance.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paulus74

Thanks PCphoto,
    that's what I thought but sometimes it seems you can get different answers when at the dole office.

Is there any online resources to confirm?

Thanks,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Paulus74 wrote: »
    Thanks PCphoto,
    that's what I thought but sometimes it seems you can get different answers when at the dole office.

Is there any online resources to confirm?

Thanks,

Paul

the only online source is posted above by Tom Young ...... but your reply is typical of a lot of public sector responses(no offence to public sector workers) - a lot of civil service personnell dont know ALL the rules/exceptions so if they dont/cant deal with it they tell what they think ...which is normally... talk to someone else.

get your friend to goto his local politician - get him/her on the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Well, I just answered the OP's answer in State Benefit forum - and like I said there, the OP has not been told the complete truth by his "friend" - (am always amazed by the amount of queries posted on behalf of "friends":rolleyes:). There is no way a person would not qualify for a benefit payment if they have paid full PRSI for the past 3 years. If for some reason they were working cash in hand, they could still qualify for a means tested payment, but all the capital is taken into account. Doesn't matter if they are Irish, Italian or Vulcan. There really is more to this story, so maybe, just maybe, on this occasion the people in Social Welfare are correct.

Pointless going to a local politician, they can't change the regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Job Seekers Benefit is not means tested so property in italy is irrelevant.

Job Seekers Assitance is means tested.

there is a social welfare appeals office they can contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marii

Just wondering can someone help. i am a full time student. but previous to going to college, i worked full time, and paid my prsi contributions. given my usual working hours for summer have been reduced this year, can i now claim job seekers benefit based on having the relevent prsi contributions from before i started college???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Not unless its an approved college course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marii

king-stew wrote: »
    Not unless its an approved college course.

When you say approved, approved by whom? It is an hons degree HETAC course in a recognised Irish Institution.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Approved by the social welfare, they have a list of college courses on their site that are approved. Mostly FAS courses i think.

Just have a look on the site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement