Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky + HD Agents Calling to houses lately??

Options
  • 30-04-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

A lad called to my house the other day saying they were checking the area for any quality issues in relation to Sky TV..straight away I was suss.

He had an ID badge, well it was just a photo of himself! No name, no company etc..what a chancer.

Anyway, I let him continue and he wanted to know if my Sky Dish was in good nick, I said it was fine.
    He then started his sales pitch about installing a Sky+ HD box and Multiroom and fitting a new dish (which is not necessary at all!) all for €149.

I asked him was he employed by Sky or was he an agent. He said he was an agent and even though I asked him for the name of his company or where they were based he never said it, he just said they were based in town!

He asked would I be interested and I said I'd just take his card..and guess what, he was all out of cards!

Has anyone experienced lads like this calling to your house lately? Are they total cowboys as I suspect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I haven't had this kind of experience, but as soon as i read ur txt, i may say it is surely some scammer.
    A true agent is NEVER out of cards.
    A true agent is saying his name and the company already in his first sentence, right after "Hello!"...and if u ask it again, he will tell u this again and again and again! Cos he would want you to really make this deal and have ways to contact him.

Don't waste your time on these kind of "agents". If they don't give u a card or name, nor the company's name and contacts, where hes supposed to work, then i suggest telling him something like "one second please, i will be back with photocamera in a moment:P" Bet hes gone faster than wind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

kart wrote: »
    I haven't had this kind of experience, but as soon as i read ur txt, i may say it is surely some scammer.
    A true agent is NEVER out of cards.
    A true agent is saying his name and the company already in his first sentence, right after "Hello!"...and if u ask it again, he will tell u this again and again and again! Cos he would want you to really make this deal and have ways to contact him.

Don't waste your time on these kind of "agents". If they don't give u a card or name, nor the company's name and contacts, where hes supposed to work, then i suggest telling him something like "one second please, i will be back with photocamera in a moment:P" Bet hes gone faster than wind:)

totally agree kart, it was so obvious he never wanted to mention the company he was with.
    I said he would be back the following day with a card and literature and guess what? No show, as suspsected.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of getting rid of Sky TV anyway, it's a waste of money if you ask me. I'm just considering my options (and trying to convince the other half to agree with leaving Sky:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I got ripped off a few weeks ago by one of these f**kers. Should have posted here really. I have just moved into my new house and while still at the last house I organised with this F**ker to setup my SKY and to install the day after I moved in, just needed to ring him. Payed in advance (stupid - I was a bit steamed though!)

I got suss the minute he left but said I'd wait for the SKY cards to come or not. A week later the SKY cards came and I thought I was sorted. Tried ringing the said F**ker with no responce - phone was switched off. I said I would get into the car and try and find the place - it was closed down about a month before this F**ker came to my door. They left loads of bills behind them apparently.

Should have listened to my old fella - buy nothing at the door, wise words.

Beware of DAMTEC SATELITE SYSTEMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sorry to hear that murphym7. Perhaps a few years ago I would have fallen for this sort of thing but lately now that I'm skint I'm far more wise and prudent with my few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

totally agree kart, it was so obvious he never wanted to mention the company he was with.
    I said he would be back the following day with a card and literature and guess what? No show, as suspsected.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of getting rid of Sky TV anyway, it's a waste of money if you ask me. I'm just considering my options (and trying to convince the other half to agree with leaving Sky:D).

Hehe, regarding to the other half of ur lil' story.... i havent had a tv for more than 3 yaers now.. and i dont miss it not one bit. To see eurovision and olympics i can always go to pub:)
    I am a total moviefreak, but i only watch them from dvd in my computer anyway...so having tv was just a waste:) Left me with so much more time to do something fun too... instead of siting and watching commercials :P

p.s yea i know it was off course from the thread itself..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eamonn.sky

murphym7 wrote: »
    I got ripped off a few weeks ago by one of these f**kers. Should have posted here really. I have just moved into my new house and while still at the last house I organised with this F**ker to setup my SKY and to install the day after I moved in, just needed to ring him. Payed in advance (stupid - I was a bit steamed though!)

Hey murphym7,
    I'm sorry that you got ripped off by a bogus sky agent. these scum make my job very difficult indeed. I have just recently began selling sky products and services door to door with some very positive results. I do not ask for money on the day, I advise my customers not to pay installer (€30.00) installation fee until all their equipment is setup and their channels are all working, also all customers have my name and mobile number.
    I know people get tired of sky, but if you want top quality tv anywhere in ireland, whats the alternative? If you watch RTE or TV3, they are not available on the Free to Air Satelittes.
    Good luck with the new house and hopefully that's the last time anyone rips you off!!

Advertisement